Page 141 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    ‘Sesame Street’ Vows To ‘Speak Out Against Racism’ Amid Ongoing Protests

Big Bird and Elmo will address the demonstrations and racial justice issues in a virtual CNN town hall this weekend.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sesam...b68f9bdfdd784a

Alrighty then.
    Well... Problem solved. Everyone can go back to social distancing and wearing masks while having sex.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Well... Problem solved. Everyone can go back to social distancing and wearing masks while having sex.
    Should I wear my Elmo mask?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This report from a black Harvard prof caught my attention back in 2016. A link to the NYT piece then a link to Washington Times coverage of it. That's interesting in how the headline is treated.

I found his study to be one of the more thought provoking things I've read on this subject. It explains I think how two polar opposite positions held by different groups of people - have elements of truth but are not the whole picture.

I have two friends who are adult black males. Both have related experiences similar to the reporter you cite but one had one go much more aggressive as he was walking to his car with a friend coming out a Metallica concert. He's an Army veteran, a professional working in the financial sector and close friend of one my sons. The other is a former co-worker, a project manager, retired now. He's had multiple experiences along those lines and his adult son at least one.
    The simulation study gives me some concern:

The WSU article did not find that the officers studied were free of subconscious racial bias — far from it. In fact, fully 96 percent were more likely to associate images of weapons with black faces on the Harvard University Implicit Association Test.

Even so, an examination of shooting errors found that the officers were “slightly more than three times less likely to shoot unarmed Black suspects than unarmed White suspects,” the article said.

What’s more, officers took “significantly longer” — 200 milliseconds on average — in deadly force scenarios to shoot armed black suspects than armed white suspects, controlling for variables such as “demeanor, language, dress, distance from participant, movement, location, sound and light levels.”

Primarily, I'd like to know when the Harvard University Implicit Association Test was given, before or after scenario training?

Additionally, I really don't think 200 milliseconds is really significantly longer, it's less than an eye-blink, about the time it takes a person to recognize facial expression.

I have a great deal of simulation training experience, using several different manufacturer's scenarios, I really don't recall many that used the exact same scenario only switching race, so there may be other factors at work. It would be interesting to know the details of the studies design and protocols.

I wasn't particularly surprised that lower levels of force were more often used against minorities. The lethal force decision is generally a split-second decision whereas less-lethal situation are often slower to evolve and more likely to include factors such as uncertainty, anger, perceived resistance, when inappropriate force is used.

The first book I read on the subject was entitled - Split-Second Decisions - Shootings Of and By the Chicago Police (https://www.amazon.com/Split-second-.../dp/B0006XQVB8 ) This was a study began in 1977, published in 1981, part 2 in 1982. We are still treading water in this same location:

From the Police Foundation's, Fyfe's, Sherman's and earlier studies, a pattern seems to emerge which, stated without qualification, supports the following broad assertion:

The most common shooting of a civilian by a police officer in urban America is one in which an on-duty, uniformed, white officer shoots an armed, Black male between the ages of 17 and 30 at night in a public location, in connection with an armed robbery. Typically, the shooting is subsequently deemed justifiable by the police department following an internal investigation. Even if the officer is criminally prosecuted, a jury is unlikely to convict.

This general pattern has prompted considerable interest in the issue of racism in police shootings. Several researchers have noted that, while black civilians constitute a large majority of the police shooting victims, they are also a large majority of those arrested for, or reported to have committed violent crimes of the sort that might be expected to lead to a shooting. The explanation of black over representation among police shooting victims by reference to arrest or reported crime rates is the subject of heated public debate. Some people contend that this correlation disproves allegations of racism by police. Others contend that it proves nothing, arguing that bigotry influences both the decision to arrest and officer shooting practices.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 06-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Amazon Prime takes a stand.

Name:  9428AC17-C082-46FD-9252-76A8168A4266.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  68.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yeah, that is the rub. I feel like the sense of civic responsibility my grandfather lived by is dead and buried in this country. It's really sad.
    This is a major thread jack, but I see this sentiment a lot and I disagree.

There are plenty of folks who talk about how back in their day ____ but it feels like they are looking past a lot of what has been going on. We have been at war for damn near 20 years, the military has a constant stream of recruits and people engaged to serve their country. Peace Corps, teach for America, and Americorps are competitive programs to get into. You can even look at a lot of these activist demonstrations as an expression of civic engagement and desire to make a difference in a community or engage with problems that are big now, but will be much bigger in the future.

Where we are failing, is that we are not providing enough opportunities for folks to get engaged in a productive way and that starts at the high school level. A lot of things are not economically viable because unless you have parents that can pay to support you, you can't volunteer, or take that unpaid internship, or do the whatever thing, because you have to try to offset the crippling student loans that are accompanying even an in-state and community college based education.

I don't want to get into a finger pointing discussion, but I think some of the doom and gloom about civic responsibility is a response to a number of folks in key positions who clearly DGAF about pretty much anything but their own comfort - but the pushback and engagement is impressive. I just kinda wish that folks would understand that engagement starts with voting.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you can find a place to legally do so, go sit on the side of the road with traffic traveling 70mph+. See at what point you can tell the race of a driver.
    Don't need to do that, I was running traffic on a regular basis until 2001. I do have some first hand knowledge of the process involved. Ever heard of pacing?

Due to my actual experience, I would discount the claims if they were made at night.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I watched that. Thanks for posting it.

If that type of security action was successful why don't the police adopt it using clandestine operators like this guy. Dragging these idiots down and leaving them cuffed to a sign post might be a tactic worth exploring..... "the grey man" that he referred to.
    Yeah...we should totally think about doing that. Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised it hasn't occurred to any of before.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    This is a major thread jack, but I see this sentiment a lot and I disagree.

There are plenty of folks who talk about how back in their day ____ but it feels like they are looking past a lot of what has been going on. We have been at war for damn near 20 years, the military has a constant stream of recruits and people engaged to serve their country. Peace Corps, teach for America, and Americorps are competitive programs to get into.
    I know they exist, but I think these people are a diminishing minority. What percentage of our population has military service today vs, say 1950. How many people apply to be police today vs 20 years ago? How many people volunteer in person vs good feels on social media?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    ‘Sesame Street’ Vows To ‘Speak Out Against Racism’ Amid Ongoing Protests

Big Bird and Elmo will address the demonstrations and racial justice issues in a virtual CNN town hall this weekend.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sesam...b68f9bdfdd784a

Alrighty then.
    Be fair now - "doing a special town hall for young kids and families"

Sesame Street, Electric Company , Zoom, Mr. Rogers - the 70s was a Golden time for children's television

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Don't need to do that, I was running traffic on a regular basis until 2001. I do have some first hand knowledge of the process involved. Ever heard of pacing?

Due to my actual experience, I would discount the claims if they were made at night.
    Yeah, I've heard of pacing. Was the guy pulled over for 3 over in a pack paced? That's be pacing level: expert.

I've also heard of tint and that it's quite a bit harder to see into a lot of modern cars vs the box-mobiles of days gone by. I seldom know the race of people I stop before I stop them. The exception would be watching for illegal turns at an intersection when I can see through the windshield during the day, something I haven't done for 8-9 years.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@RJ

Spotify made sure to fill a couple of my weekly music lists with some feel good virtue signaling music.

I feel like I scrubbed a few years off purgatory...by golly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List