Page 93 of 194 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am saying Austin is one example of appropriate response.
    What the hell has happened to Texas? It used to be a respectable state.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    when you stop and think that roughly 1/6th of the US population is rocking an IQ of 85 or less (and that IQ is relatively static) and the number of opportunities available for those folks to make a living is diminishing much more rapidly then it is for the more intellectually gifted and it starts to look like maybe just "work hard" etc. isn't going to work for more and more of the country. Work hard at what? That's why the industrial revolution was such a boon to the modern middle class, lots of jobs of limited complexity that the masses could do as well as complex jobs for the more mentally able. The Information revolution does not have that same distribution.
    ^^^ One of the more profound things I’ve read recently.

Doesn’t excuse those who do have capabilities and choose not apply or improve them and behave responsibly, and there’s an equally full boatload of those. But it’s harder and harder to rely on a strong back and discipline alone to make a family-sustaining living.

There are still opportunities, but one has to have a certain threshold degree of smarts to figure out what and where they are, combined with a willingness to migrate if necessary to where such opportunities are located.

Site Supporter
    I do not think that Active Duty US Military will be used in these events unless the escalate much more nor would I expect to see National Guard moved to Title 10 status. Maybe in DC as DC has a unique status with all the Federal sites. I suspect that the Governors have adequate resources on hand if they have the will and plan to use those existing resources. The President seems to be threatening Federal Military intervention but I suspect that is a nudge to Governors and Mayors to do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Oh I am aware of the nuances. It was more the quick pithy reply I was going for.

I would be interested in a lawyerly explanation of the current situation, because it looks like 10 USC 251 authorizes the use of troops when state level governments request (and based on the readout of his call with governors today, it looks like those requests might be slow in coming) or 252 in order to enforce federal laws that states are unwilling or unable to enforce (without the need for State level requests or approvals - the only example that comes to mind is enforcing the desegregation laws that were distinctly un-supported by local government). I would be interested to know if there are federal statutes that could be used to justify a domestic troop deployment against the desire of state level governments.

I suppose it we wait a short while, we will get a full set of legal interpretations from any number of different viewpoints and will be able to choose whichever one best suits our own personal views, but I think the impending cluster of legal battles is going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than dEmS sUe BeCaUse OrAnGe MaN bAd. I could see states with Republican governors who have publicly pushed back at the President recently being a key battleground.
    It's complicated. OMB sending shock waves thru governor mansions all across the US. I expect the president to be visiting burned out churches in all of the swing states soon.

Obama came here when a landslide killed 45 people. The only time I've ever seen an Osprey fly over. He didn't actually land, just flew over like Bush after the hurricane. Photo op for dem politicians. You couldn't beat them off with a stick.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.

I guess Austin is handling it right...if homeless people having their stuff burned and setting cars on fire under I35 is the “right” way.

Two things:

1) There can be both rioters and protesters at the same time. A protester uses non-violent means to convey a measage. A rioter creates and subsequently uses chaos to conduct criminal acts. There is a pretty clear way to tell them apart. If people are marching, chanting, kneeling, talking, but otherwise not engaged in criminal acts they are PROTESTERS. If they are throwing things, looting, vandalizing, or attacking people they are rioters.

2) POTUS is a fucking moron. And he isn’t doing us any favors tear gassing a crowd and subsequently holding up a bible and talking about “mah rights”.

In fact, I’m pretty sure in Dale Carnegie’s seminal work, “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, Chapter 1 begins with, “Do not launch tear gas into a crowd and subsequently stand on a pulpit and attempt to preach at them.”

Chapter 2 says, “Do not make inflammatory tweets.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Other than a host of laws, the fact the military is made up of citizens as well and I doubt some sort of house-to-house gun confiscation is going to latch on among active duty troops in the same way defending infrastructure and citizens against violence is, the fact that a riot =/= owning a gun and that "using the military against protesters" isn't what's happening? Other than that, nothing I suppose.

So, again, walk me how you get from A to B other than "they'll declare us all rioters" or some similar nonsense.
    The recruits that fill up our Military ranks tend to come from more conservative locales and I suggest are less inclined to break their oath to the Constitution
    "According to the June 24 study the states with the highest average number of military enlistees (apparently officers are excluded when it comes to measuring just how "America, Fuck Yeah" a state is) Georgia ranked highest, followed by Alaska, South Carolina, Texas, and Alabama. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the states with the lowest rate of enlistment were: Minnesota, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, with North Dakota at the bottom."

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    What the hell has happened to Texas? It used to be a respectable state.
    Quiet you. We still have shooting competition s here! You just have to pet Sirloin the steer to get in to register for your squad at Copperas.

In my small, upper middle class city, protesters marched this evening for the second time. But today they blocked the 101 Freeway for ~30 mins. My kind, compassionate neighbors got caught up in the ensuring traffic jam and are pissed. If the protesters want to alienate a lot of folks, they're on the right track.

Another good friend of mine with a State agency is out there now, trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Louisville police chief fired

Louisville, Ky., resident David McAtee was shot and killed during a police response to a curfew violation early Monday. Both police and National Guard members were on the scene and fired shots. The incident has led to the firing of the police chief.

State and local leaders called for the release of police body-camera footage, but Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer announced Monday that officers on the scene had not activated their body cameras. Fischer also said that Louisville Police Chief Steve Conrad was relieved of command in the wake of the shooting. Conrad was already due to retire amid criticism related to the controversy surrounding the death of Breonna Taylor in March.

According to member station WFPL, the incident that resulted in McAtee's death took place at a gas station in Louisville's predominantly black West End. McAtee, who was black, operated a barbecue business nearby. No protests were taking place there, but the National Guard and Louisville police were called in to respond to a large gathering and enforce the city's 9 p.m. curfew. Before being relieved of his post, Conrad said that the police and National Guard were shot at first and that the shots that killed McAtee were fired in response.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/86728...-shot-to-death

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Quiet you. We still have shooting competition s here! You just have to pet Sirloin the steer to get in to register for your squad at Copperas.
    Well then, I guess a few riots won't really change anything.

User Tag List