Page 67 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Val Demmings was a cop. Might be a VP candidate.
    I lived in Orlando while she was chief. Not a fan.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...s10-story.html

"An internal-affairs investigator gave Orlando Police Chief Val Demings a "written censure" as punishment for not properly securing her gun in her car.

Someone broke into Demings' Chevy Tahoe the night of Feb. 27 and stole a duffel bag she had placed on the floor of the vehicle. The bag contained her agency-issued 9 mm Sig Sauer gun, ammunition, handcuffs and baton."

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A porch is 100% curtilage. You can google it, but even if it isn't and I applied the term incorrectly it wouldn't change the language of the EO and the fact the officers were acting within the scope of the EO.
    Please don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that a porch is not curtilage - heck, it looked like they were actually standing in the doorway, making it even more unambiguously curtilage. My rambling was more toward the general nature of it being space that close enough to home that you maintain your REP even though your entire private property may be accessible to the public. But again, not a lawyer, and way too far out from my last legal training - I don't want to go on record confidently saying something that is wrong in a public forum, it seems like the kind of thing that would come back to bite me in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That makes sense, and I think you're on point. Where I disagree is that the FAQ's misinformation doesn't change the lawfulness of the officer's actions, and obviously our speculation as to why the FAQ was later amended (a FAQ that is now compliant with the EO's language, mind you).
    I am glad they amended the FAQ to be consistent, and I am sure we will agree to disagree like we have on one or two other points, but I think @blues put it best (like he seems to do frequently) and also that this was an unforced error. It's not the kind of thing that I think the officer will be in legal trouble over; you could even call it a tactical win, but it was a strategic loss. As evidenced by the fact that a thread full of trained professionals can have robust debate about it, the general public with their hearts and minds are not going to see the nuance. The emotional arguments write themselves "they were home following the curfew order and the cops still gassed them" ect

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    But, we are all friends here and I suspect there are very few people on this board that I would not get along with in person; I worry that threads like this are the kind of places where that feeling erodes.
    Nah...we can agree to disagree and still remain friends. Well, except for @TGS, he's beyond salvation.

(Just kidding. I've spoken with @TGS a few times on the phone and keep in touch privately via PM and email. He's a good dude that I don't always agree with...but would go to battle with on any given day.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    When I lived in Portland, OR - the chief could not pass the firearms test. IIRC, he had to get a ccw permit to carry a gun as a plain person, IIRC. The test was to hit the broad side of a barn. Maybe I don't remember this correctly. They had quite a few chiefs when I live there as most were a flop. They did have quite a choking, race scandal - very ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nah...we can agree to disagree and still remain friends. Well, except for @TGS, he's beyond salvation.

(Just kidding. I've spoken with @TGS a few times on the phone and keep in touch privately via PM and email. He's a good dude that I don't always agree with...but would go to battle with on any given day.)
    I dunno, he is all shifty looking, and I think he might be one of those people that likes guns....

@TGS has long frustrated me, especially when he is doing things like, making me look bad by out shooting me in training, and other unforgivable sins like that.

I dunno, he is all shifty looking, and I think he might be one of those people that likes guns....

@TGS has long frustrated me, especially when he is doing things like, making me look bad by out shooting me in training, and other unforgivable sins like that.
    At least he had the good sense to get out of Joisey...and move into another frying pan.

As I've told him, in years past, (NYC), I've had a couple occasions to work with your guys in connection with foreign organized crime groups. Brother of one of my old partners from then went on board with your guys in the middle to late 80's. I asked T if he knew the name but I don't think it rang a bell.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Meh, we both took distinguished expert.

But I do have compromising photos from FLETC. I think.

Best to not find out the veracity of the kompromat.

#coercedfriendshipisstillfriendship
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of cops running for office. Without people putting themselves out there, as candidates, then the elected officials that you get are the one that you can choose. If none of them were cops, that's how it goes.

I expect a lot of what you have raised, the training, etc., will all be fleshed out in the upcoming civil litigation. Unless the city settles to avoid having those subjects aired out (among other reasons).
    The cops who I have seen become politicians are the EXACT same people who we don’t want. The best bet is solid guys who run for Sheriff. They are elected by the people. That can go very good or bad but it’s the best shot at getting a good one.

I think the criminal case will be a disaster for the prosecution and the civil case will be a complete blood bath for the city.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Just got put on standby. My wife got recalled earlier and is already at work.

We sent a contingency to Raleigh last night. They said it was sporty...

Be safe!

User Tag List