Page 161 of 194 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've actively discouraged my son from having any interest in this job. I'd rather he play piano at the whorehouse.
    So have I, always. I've never been successful, but he's finally seen the light.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Seems like we are getting awful close to moment when we dial for the police and nobody's gonna show up..
    Because: They got defunded and disarmed, but we'll get a "community crisis arbitrator" out there for you next week, or all the good guys just said f' it, and just up and quit.

I personally am not looking forward to this proposed new era in law enforcement.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    A couple of days ago in earlier posts in this discussion Dan Lehr said that he had observed young officers being over-aggressive when it wasn't necessary, and DpdG had replied that in his experience many young officers are non-assertive and not aggressive when it might be appropriate to be.

I'm still working and I've seen both extremes pretty frequently. A determining factor is how a new officer evaluates the situations they encounter is the amount of relevant life experience they had before coming on the job.

I started in 1981, right when the "Officer Survival" training movement was starting. I have a 1st edition copy of "Street Survival" I bought from an ad in Police Marksman Magazine sometime in the spring of 1980 (right as I was finishing college)(I really miss that magazine)

When I started, it was difficult to get some of the guys to take tactics seriously or to believe that anything bad could really happen to them. That was NOT true of the guys half a generation ahead of me that had worked the anti-war riots of 1967-70. They took that stuff seriously.

Now such "Officer Survival" training is much more commonplace, especially at the police academy level, and it seems that some new officers take all that to heart to the point that they feel they have to be hyper-vigilant all the time. They also tend to feel that everything they get involved in is a really big deal, even if it is not. You'd think that experience would quickly help give them some perspective, but not always.

And in the last ten years or so I have noticed that many young people feel awkward engaging in social interactions with people they don't know. I see it with the young cops all the time. Maybe too much time texting and not enough time talking face to face?

I never was a supervisor and I'm not an FTO any more. I don't know what the solution might be. To be good at being a patrol officer requires a weird skill set and not all of the police performing such duties are very good at it for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    What they also refuse to believe is that the USA is still one of the very few places on this planet where folks can transition form the ghettoes to the financial stratosphere..
    There’s a lot of data showing that economic mobility for low-income folks is now worse in the US than in many other developed countries.

One example:

Specifically,
    men born into the poorest fifth of
    families in the United States in 1958
    had a higher likelihood of ending up
    in the bottom fifth of the earnings
    distribution than did males similarly
    positioned in five Northern European
    countries—42 percent in the United
    States, compared to 25 to 30 percent
    in the other countries.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...awhill_ch3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Seems like we are getting awful close to moment when we dial for the police and nobody's gonna show up..
    Because: They got defunded and disarmed, but we'll get a "community crisis arbitrator" out there for you next week, or all the good guys just said f' it, and just up and quit.

I personally am not looking forward to this proposed new era in law enforcement.
    I’ve put my name in to be considered for selection to our local People’s Revolutionary Justice Committee and Tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Dan Lehr

Here's the "Peeler" himself in a bust presented to me by detectives from the Metropolitan Police for helping them in connection with a drug related homicide here in the states. (I later worked with the same men in London.)

Attachment 55497
    I went to college in Montreal. Peel Street was one block to the east of where I lived for 3 years, and one block to the west of campus.

There’s time, but it hasn’t yet been renamed Rue Georges Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've actively discouraged my son from having any interest in this job. I'd rather he play piano at the whorehouse.
    Ran into the same issue with my boy who wanted to emmulate his old dad. While I was touched by his desire to follow in my professional foot-steps--what a wonderful feeling to know that he sees me as a worthy role model--I have managed to help him see the high risk v. low reward of the career and that it is not worth. He is now aimed at a career in STEM and says he wants to be a metallurgical engineer. Hopefully, he'll make a few million bucks when he designs some super-exotic super alloy and exceed what his goofy old dad did for himself.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Anyone who is a cop and parent here - who's child wants to explore biology, particularly academic biology, as a career - is free to contact me for advice/guidance/thoughts. Frankly, that's generally true for all of P-F.

But I think we could use a lot more people who grew up with well grounded hard-working parents in our various fields. People who understand and have role models that aren't just into "wokeness" and instead have a sense of right, wrong, and the things in between, and what it means to get your hands dirty to do a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    We're not fighting (and losing) a total war. We also, all hyperbole aside, don't have a state centered on the person of a single, official autocratic and hereditary ruler.

Personally, comparing our country to something like 1917 Russia or 1932 Germany is personally irritating- it's not the same.
    No, our elites are much smarter and they have propaganda that makes the attempts of past regimes seem pathetic. And they have realized the vital thing is to set the limits of right vs left debate, so the blowback never goes too high.(Cops are a great scapegoat when things get hectic, as we see now)

They are so sophisticated that we went from "no more Vietnams" to US special forces running counter-insurgency ops in 149 countries around the globe in a generation, and it barely concerns anyone at all. It doesn't even rate discussion.

Sophisticated enough that 19 years of more conventional fighting didn't lead to anything called a "war." (At least not for long, the "War on Terror " was a branding slip)

Sophisticated enough to make sure "talking heads" of the "right" and "left" media can be people with heavy ties into US intelligence and it merits no public discussion.

Sophisticated enough to transform the US into a surveillance state.

I brought up Russia 1917 because all states have conflict, but sometimes tremors are the harbinger of a massive earthquake.

As I have said, I wouldn't claim to know if this is that type of moment. I have seen the same merry-go-round on our nation's inherent structural problems for four decades now.

I do feel pretty confident in saying we are in a singularity, (not the "Singularity " of technology some envision) because it is obvious even the elites don't know where we are headed.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

One thing that might come out of these protests and riots is LE being paid at a higher level possibly making a career more attractive. That could take awhile tho. Knowing what I know about gov't agencies, the general public and unions, there would be absolutely no way I would want a LE career these days. I barely survived working in a non LE capacity for a local agency to retire with 30 years. I would have retired a lot sooner and started my own business if the economy had been better, eliminating bad supervisors and the union altogether.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List