Page 133 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Central Michigan University is still known as the "Chippewas" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...igan_Chippewas

One of the few University's still using a Native American tribe name as their mascot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    What do you see when you look in the mirror?
    A partially shaved bigfoot, most days. Some days not partially shaven.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was raised in basically an all white southern town, but was taught race doesn’t matter by my father.
    I have a hard time believing that. The HS I graduated from was 70% Hispanic and I don't happen to be Hispanic. Not even close. I could easily pass for Irish which I have a genetic association. That caused a lot of problems for me.

Race is culture and culture is race. Race does matter because of culture. Maybe you can explain why Asians have a higher average income level than whites or whites have a higher average income level than Hispanics or why Hispanics have a higher average income level than Blacks. That's all broken down by race.

We are well on our way to becoming assimilated into one culture (not race) because of interracial marriage which is a good thing. Many people still have a problem with not being seen as Hispanic or Native American or whatever because of cultural differences.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-04-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    So....black folks get the short end of the stick on being stopped by LE, hiring, prison sentences, having perps get far less time for killing them, etc. because of individual racism?

I would say I believe something very close to the opposite of your viewpoint. It's mostly the system, and that is gamed against folks without money at every turn. The racist outcomes are mostly built in.
    So why are Asians, who have also been subjected to horrible historical racism including internment, not on the same short end of the stick when it comes to policing or the judicial system? They are still the most underrepresented group in sports, television, & government, yet Asians are 4x less likely to be in prison than whites (while blacks are 3x more likely than whites to be in prison).

Why are men so much more likely than women to wind up in prison? Is the judicial system sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    So....black folks get the short end of the stick on being stopped by LE, hiring, prison sentences, having perps get far less time for killing them, etc. because of individual racism?

I would say I believe something very close to the opposite of your viewpoint. It's mostly the system, and that is gamed against folks without money at every turn. The racist outcomes are mostly built in.
    @BehindBlueI's and @TGS addressed these points in a more articulate manner than I’d have so I’ll just suggest you read their replies twice.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 06-04-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Why is it so hard to mention BBI? I had to retype your username three times before the mention worked.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    A partially shaved bigfoot, most days.
    That would be Salish then, because Sasquatch is originally Salish.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Race is culture and culture is race.
    I disagree strongly based on my personal life experience, particularly in the military and contracting. The black guy in my unit from Texas who's a legitimate cowboy, like bull-riding knows how to use a lasso working cowboy, prior to enlistment has very little cultural similarity to my ex-wife, a college educated projects-escapee from New Jersey. Similarly, my childhood culture is significantly closer to poor rural blacks then rich urbanite whites. I find geography and poverty levels more telling then race.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This might be the final push I need to get off Facebook. I like the posts from @Dagga Boy on there, but beyond that it's just not worth it any more. I used to like it to keep in touch with friends that were spread out across the world, but I'm getting to the point that if you're not in my phone, we're not that close and that's okay. I guess I'm just tired of how everyone's an expert on the internet.

I'm in my 30s, so still relatively young. I've never seen attitudes like this towards law enforcement in my adult life, and it scares me that we're going to start getting the police forces that people seem to want. Is this a pendulum swinging that will eventually go back, or is everyone REALLY on their own from here on?

For some reason, there seems to be a push to get rid of qualified immunity for LE. It doesn’t seem directly tied to this incident because we haven’t even reached the phase where a judge decides whether or not the officers are entitled to qualified immunity regarding Floyd’s death yet. That means this is something the far left has wanted for a while and this incident is a good enough reason to try and get it pushed through. I just hadn’t been paying attention, I guess.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Is this a pendulum swinging that will eventually go back, or is everyone REALLY on their own from here on?
    I think the real problem will get ignored.

I think the response is going to be regional. Minneapolis and San Francisco being the two big leaders.

I think it's going to be an insurmountable fight to change standing US Supreme Court precedents regarding law enforcement authorities and UOF.

Given that, I think the likely avenue pursued will be the extreme curtailment of police officers as we know it in some places, mostly replaced by an unarmed public safety officer model that Minneapolis is talking about. Society has been moving towards the "social worker with a gun" concept for a while, and I think they're going to further develop the concept by ditching the gun and codify the position as law encouragement instead of law enforcement, as such will be necessary to keep the personnel from getting murdered all the time, as well as naturally limit their need to use force in order to effectuate arrests.

For an example (and to bring some comedic relief here), the guy who wrote Demolition Man saw the writing on the wall.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List