Page 129 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Newb, plead the 5th. This won't end well.
    I can’t resist! I hate racism so much that even if it costs me, I have to say my part.

Being my own person has always been a blessing and a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I can’t resist! I hate racism so much that even if it costs me, I have to say my part.

Being my own person has always been a blessing and a curse.
    Thank goodness I'm nothing like that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Thank goodness I'm nothing like that.
    Well it was in the mid 90s here today, and I did a wicked outside workout. Feeling off would sort of describe my disposition today.

Maybe that’s what’s wrong with me?

Nah it’s probdbly more complex!

Site Supporter
    Racism will never disappear. One factor that restrains it is that racism is highly socially unacceptable. One thing that means is that people are more cautious about what they say and to whom they say it. We have become more practiced at the way we express intents and attitudes. The thread has pertained to racism as directed by whites toward blacks. I assure all that it is a two way street. Many of all races do not recognize its many subtle variations, and many deny their views and lie about not having biases.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Racism will never disappear.
    As long as we identify races, there will be racism.

Basically like the Taoist saying that as long as we have beauty there will be ugliness, and as long as some gather wealth, there will be poverty.

You'll realize that being white isn't boring at all when you look white but others consider you a guinea or a kike. Oh, to be white, then.

When you listen to others denigrate the people you come from because you don't look the part...oh, to be white then.

Or, when they find out you are one or the other...but they tell you you don't look like one, or you're one of the good ones. Yep. You got it.

Growing up wishing you could be like those families and kids on TV. Nice thought, but it ain't gonna happen.

I'd have taken boring. Would have saved me some skin on my knuckles.
    Your experience mirrors mine, Blues. I never had to hit anybody over it, but I should have on at least two occasions as a kid.

I went down the Peggy McIntosh list too, and realized that my answer to each question depended on whether or not I wore a yarmulke.

FWIW, I've been called Dirty Yid by black folks in Oakland CA while in the company of my black relatives. (that raised their eyebrows, too.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I truly believe that all the racism remaining in our country is individual racism. There are still some individual people who hold racist views and will occasionally act on those views. It’s a damn shame that we haven’t been able to purge that type of hate and ignorance from our society. I believe that institutional/systemic racism is over. It took a long time to end, way longer than it should have, but it’s done.
    So....black folks get the short end of the stick on being stopped by LE, hiring, prison sentences, having perps get far less time for killing them, etc. because of individual racism?

I would say I believe something very close to the opposite of your viewpoint. It's mostly the system, and that is gamed against folks without money at every turn. The racist outcomes are mostly built in.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

It's like trying to push your thumb down on a blob of mercury.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Racism will never disappear. One factor that restrains it is that racism is highly socially unacceptable. One thing that means is that people are more cautious about what they say and to whom they say it. We have become more practiced at the way we express intents and attitudes. The thread has pertained to racism as directed by whites toward blacks. I assure all that it is a two way street. Many of all races do not recognize its many subtle variations, and many deny their views and lie about not having biases.
    Racism is, sadly, pretty much universal among all races. For instance, many PNGians despise the Chinese.

One positive about the USA is that we are a bit more open about our problems, shortcomings, and so on.
    It's a good thing, and a bad thing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    As long as we identify races, there will be racism.

Basically like the Taoist saying that as long as we have beauty there will be ugliness, and as long as some gather wealth, there will be poverty.
    I think it is even more fundamental. It is evolutionary advantageous...

As long as tribalism exist, biases against other tribes will exist. Because tribalism is a fundamental aspect of culture, which is perhaps the greatest evolutionary adaptation in existence, there is no compelling reason for it to go away. Races, classes, ethnicities, languages - they are all manifestations of tribalism and those manifestations proffer evolutionary success for a given tribe. As long as one tribe exists, the evolutionary success of the species is assured. The more tribes that exist - the greater number of humans can exist, the healthier the whole species is from a genetic stand point.

It may not be great news for our planet, but for our species, tribalism is one of the reasons we can have moving onto nigh 8 billion people on this planet.

That said, look how almost united the world was - for a brief moment - back in March. The existential specter of covid-19 had that effect. It attacks people regardless of race, class, ethnicity, language etc...anyone can get it and anyone can die from it. Then we realized it maybe wasn’t quite as deadly as we thought and we went back to trivializing it.

A racism, classism, ‘ism free Utopia is impossible unless a true existential threat challenges our species. And the second that threat is lifted - we’ll be right back at those ‘isms, because they are fundamental.

None of this is an excuse for these things. Merely a recognition that no matter how much education, how many efforts, how much legislation - you cannot wipe these things out. But we can repress/redirect them to some degree and minimize their effects to some degree.

User Tag List