Page 107 of 194 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    Having been on the periphery of law enforcement agencies, I agree that much more bullshit occurs without officer unions. If I were to give examples of the types of employee abuse that I have seen, I think I would lose credibility. They are that serious and absurd.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    The 9th Circuit disagrees with that assessment. We ran afoul of them when one of our all civilian undercover CP platforms found a non-DOD nexus offender and related the info to a local jurisdiction for action. 9th Circuit threw the case out because of Posse Comitatus - saying NCIS is part of the "military" and therefore can't enforce civilian laws. I lost the bubble on whether or not that case was ever appealed higher.
    There is a reason the 9th circuit is the most reversed circuit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    T, I don't do twitter. Is this person a credible source?
    No.

Site Supporter
    The country is fully involved in civil unrest, cops getting shot and run over, People making bombs to pass out at protests, multiple subjects across the country using explosives to blow up ATM machines and all y’all can talk about is unions and teen pregnancy. Y’all slip’in.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelp...osives-reports

Philadelphia man dies in detonation of ATM rigged with explosives, reports say

https://www.foxnews.com/us/illinois-...e-with-the-law

Illinois man accused of handing out explosives at George Floyd 'riot' has history of trouble with the law

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas...spect-arrested

Las Vegas police officer in 'grave condition' after being shot in head; suspect arrested

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-sus...ier-california

Armed man allegedly dressed as National Guard soldier in Los Angeles

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/at...rnd/index.html

Police are investigating three ATM explosions in two Florida counties

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/...owing-up-atms/

Three arrested and charged by Utah authorities for attempting to steal cash by blowing up ATMs
    Last edited by HCM; 06-03-2020 at 03:03 AM.

Lots of people getting fired over this shit, seemingly more getting fired for posting on the internet than actually doing anything wrong. Two thoughts about that...
    1) I’ve always been surprised that so many LEO not only participate in social media but the kinds of stupid shit some will apparently post related to their job. Even if you’re “private” and only have other LEO has “friends”, you don’t think at least one of them may rat you out if you post stupid shit.
    2) even for non-LE, the pitchforks are OUT. Post something saying you’re in favor of shooting looters? Fired. Call the cops on a black guy you don’t like in Central Park, and it goes viral? Fired. A former coworker posts that you were mean to her and she happens to be black and you happen not to be? Fired.

This is not what Hanauer meant here (and we may be on the verge of the more tangible kind he references) but this is worth watching again. Basically, whether or not you agree with these people, they have been led to believe that they have been maligned, and we have led more and more people to that belief (non-whites, anyone under 30 years old, etc) to the point that we are either going to have to have a reckoning, or Atlas is going to need to shrug.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/nick_hanau...rks_are_coming

Site Supporter
    Locally the famous Baptist University gave a suck up public notice comment about the so called protests. Local school districts are following suit. The suck up aspect is political posturing, or I should say pandering. Why not write a solemn narrative recognizing the tragedy, expressing need for improvement, and encouraging peace? I have a pea brain and could turn out better stuff than hacks writing this shit which reminds me of comments like "some of my best friends are blacks, and I'm not biased." I see hint of patronizing tone, but the authors are too dense to note this.

I don't have a FB account but hear that people post idiot type comments, show dick pictures(??), and tell all their business. As we speak, social media is being mined to detect those who might utter controversial statements. Although the term "felony of thought" will not be used, some will accuse others of making statements showing racial bias, gender bias, sexism, gender bias, homophobia, immigration bias, asshole bias(??), nationalism, and so on.

So blab and say stupid shit. Be ready to pay for it,

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Locally the famous Baptist University gave a suck up public notice comment about the so called protests. Local school districts are following suit. The suck up aspect is political posturing, or I should say pandering. Why not write a solemn narrative recognizing the tragedy, expressing need for improvement, and encouraging peace? I have a pea brain and could turn out better stuff than hacks writing this shit which reminds me of comments like "some of my best friends are blacks, and I'm not biased." I see hint of patronizing tone, but the authors are too dense to note this.

I don't have a FB account but hear that people post idiot type comments, show dick pictures(??), and tell all their business. As we speak, social media is being mined to detect those who might utter controversial statements. Although the term "felony of thought" will not be used, some will accuse others of making statements showing racial bias, gender bias, sexism, gender bias, homophobia, immigration bias, asshole bias(??), nationalism, and so on.

So blab and say stupid shit. Be ready to pay for it,
    ERPO (red flag) laws are based on social media posts. It isn't so much what you do anymore but what you say.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/at...rnd/index.html

Police are investigating three ATM explosions in two Florida counties

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/...owing-up-atms/

Three arrested and charged by Utah authorities for attempting to steal cash by blowing up ATMs
    What does Florida man and an older case in Utah have to do with the current rioting?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

My own naivete sometimes shocks me. What I've truly found most startling, personally, is the reaction of many people, both public persons and folks I know personally, to some of the exercises of authority and government power we've seen over just the last few days. And by reaction, I mean nothing. Fucking crickets. People that are loud proclaimers of the importance of the 2nd A to secure our 1st A, 4th A, other inalienable rights. People that are up in arms at even the notion of gun legislation, that blew a gasket over religious gatherings being limited during a pandemic, that are the first to cry foul when an LEO steps onto their front yard without an engraved invitation, people that lost their minds over the idea of Jade Helm, or were sympathetic to the Bundy family, even a little bit.

But extreme curfews in major cities, active military units deployed on domestic soil, journalists being purposefully targeted and harassed by some LEOs, looters being bypassed in order to push around civil disobedience protestors? Crickets. Or maybe a calm waving of hands, some explanation of how TECHNICALLY, it's legal for this reason, some rapid diffusion of blame and accountability, because, you know, it's a tough situation.

Not my people, not my problem? The issue with that, wherever you draw the line, by color, by political party or ideology, by kin relation, by population demographic or geography, is the same damn thing that's noted in every damn thread on the internet about gun control. It's the most tired and trite concept. And it's also true. "First they came for..."

I'm not saying Orange Man Bad, he's about to blame ISIS and throw every American Muslim in jail. I'm not saying Joe Biden will get elected, croak, and then Kamala Harris is gonna personally ensure every American gun owner gets a no-knock nighttime visit from the BATF. We all know that those are fantasies for internet Maoists living on trust funds, and incel boog bois LARPing because they can't sack up to actually do something useful for their community or country.

I'm saying that if we believe in our really awesome, exceptional country, if we think this unprecedented experiment in liberty is worth trying to continue, it is absolutely necessary to really believe in the same natural rights for everyone. Otherwise, we're not looking at a glorious revolution or bold new beginning or the dawn of a brilliant day. We're looking at a thousand paper cuts, a whimpering acquiescence, and a long, dark night.

Fuck. This is why I can't do politics on the internet.

I leave you with the last part of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, because it's been knocking about in my head non-stop and he said it better than I ever could:

"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    On the other hand, why reward bad behavior?

That would depend. Are they the same type complaints? What is the nature of the complaints? What previous remedial actions have been taken? What do we feel are the potentials for return to acceptable behavior.

Probably most important what is the potential that this officer will cause unlawful harm to someone if the officer's actions continue? Repeated substantiated use of force complaints would seem to warrant termination.

Can you ever recall an instance where a police union has defended an officer who you felt was operating beyond the pale? So, might it be a valid consideration?
    I've heard the 'rewarding bad behavior' argument and get why. However I've also reassigned officers who were good cops, or had the potential to be, who were having personal or professional issues that made them unsuitable for their current role. We've invested a lot in them, and they have potential to be worth it, so why throw them away? Those other jobs and other beats need officers too, and it's not always seen as a reward. Hard chargers aren't "rewarded" with desk jobs taking a report by phone all day.

Yes, it would depend. Hence what I said.

Sure, it could be. And yes, the union has defended people who's actions were unacceptable. Some of them went on to be fired or jailed. With or without union help (and I don't *have* to belong to the union here) only the civilian merit board can fire me. If I fight termination it essentially becomes a jury, but majority rules. The city's attorneys vs me and whoever I bring. So ultimately the union isn't any more "obstructionist" then providing a defense attorney to the accused, or potentially could be accused, officer(s). If the city does their job, abides by their own policies, abides by the law, then the civilian merit board should agree to my termination.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List