Page 158 of 194 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    The "first responder" thing originated, as far as I can remember, from 9/11. Almost 40 dead Port Authority cops (there's only like 2,000 of those guys), another 23 dead NYPD cops, 300+ dead NYFD. A lot of cops in the area at the time felt that "first responder" was a way to avoid saying "police" in the media without being too conspicuous--since you can't not mention the police in your 9/11 thing, but you also don't want to look like you support the police. To this day, I know guys in this region that take varying levels of offense to that term depending on who it's coming from.
    I knew “First Responder” as an EMS certification level (below EMT Basic) well before 9/11. I don’t know when it became shorthand for police/fire/EMS.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Absolutely. About to start another 12 hour shift so don't have a lot of time for detail, but there's a good book by D. Kennedy called "Don't Shoot" that details some very successful efforts.
    Thanks! Ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    The best thing I did for my long term physical, mental and emotional health was retire. And did it early enough, and healthy enough that I'm able to continue in a second career as a private servant instead of a public one. Anyone that thinks that sounds selfish well....go do a 20, 25, 30 year public safety career and then come back and criticize me. I did my time. You have to BBI. Time to start pulling inward and looking out for you and your's.
    I’ve never seen such a bad time to be a cop.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Sadly, I don't think even 5 people out of 100 that I know personally know anything about Sir John Peel. I think we may have reached a nexus between lack of critical thinking and poor education.
    I'm more concerned that more officers don't know the first thing about Sir Robert Peel:

The underpinning principles for policing in England and Wales, taken from HMIC’s Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2013/14

Sir Robert Peel became Home Secretary in 1822 and in 1829 established the first full-time, professional and centrally-organised police force in England and Wales, for the Greater London area.

The reforms introduced by Sir Robert Peel and the first Police Commissioners were based on a philosophy that the power of the police comes from the common consent of the public, as opposed to the power of the state.

The nine principles that underpin this philosophy were set out in the ‘General Instructions’ issued to every new police officer from 1829 onwards. The principles are still valid today and have shaped the approach that HMIC takes when assessing how well police forces are working for the public.

Peelian Principles:

The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder;

The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions;

Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public;

The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force;

Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law;

Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient;

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence;

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary;

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.co...an-principles/

If we could get back to those roots, we'd be well ahead.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 06-06-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I'm more concerned that more officers don't know the first thing about Sir Robert Peel:

The underpinning principles for policing in England and Wales, taken from HMIC’s Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2013/14

Sir Robert Peel became Home Secretary in 1822 and in 1829 established the first full-time, professional and centrally-organised police force in England and Wales, for the Greater London area.

The reforms introduced by Sir Robert Peel and the first Police Commissioners were based on a philosophy that the power of the police comes from the common consent of the public, as opposed to the power of the state.

The nine principles that underpin this philosophy were set out in the ‘General Instructions’ issued to every new police officer from 1829 onwards. The principles are still valid today and have shaped the approach that HMIC takes when assessing how well police forces are working for the public.

Peelian Principles:

The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder;

The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions;

Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public;

The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force;

Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law;

Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient;

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence;

Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary;

The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.co...an-principles/

If we could get back to those roots, we'd be well ahead.
    I’d bet most of the LEOs on here know them. I can name one off the top of my head that mentioned them years ago.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’d bet most of the LEOs on here know them. I can name one off the top of my head that mentioned them years ago.
    They were covered my first week in the academy, but that was over 30 years ago. I’ll see if I can find out if it’s still part of the Ohio curriculum.

@Dan Lehr

Here's the "Peeler" himself in a bust presented to me by detectives from the Metropolitan Police for helping them in connection with a drug related homicide here in the states. (I later worked with the same men in London.)

Name:  rp 1 - Edited.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  34.2 KB
    Last edited by blues; 06-06-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    They were covered my first week in the academy, but that was over 30 years ago. I’ll see if I can find out if it’s still part of the Ohio curriculum.
    Don't know if it was covered in FLETC, but I remember him from somewhere.

I'm thinking the same place I remember Sir Baden Powell from, which would make sense given the civic nature of that particular gang.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Dan Lehr

Here's the "Peeler" himself in a bust presented to me by detectives from the Metropolitan Police for helping them in connection with a drug related homicide here in the states. (I later worked with the same men in London.)

Name:  rp 1 - Edited.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  34.2 KB
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Nice.
    I've got a roomful of stuff those guys gave me, including some poor bastard's helmet. Great bunch...I was proud to work with them. And they were the senders of the first message I received just minutes after 9/11. "We're with you."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List