Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sure Glad I Didn't Hop On The Recent Overpriced CMP 1911 Bandwagon

The fact that they're mixmasters doesn't decrease their historical value, it's part of their history. It will decrease the interest for collectors looking for a specimen in original condition. I carried these during my service and I was very glad to have one in a desperate hour, but I wouldn't pay what the CMP thinks they're worth.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I agree regarding their historical value to a degree, but the market value is kind of tough. I've got a 1945 Remington Rand, which has gone through a depot rebuild. Great gun, and I appreciate it, but I'm skeptical of its investment value-but it is a family legacy, so it's not going anywhere.

I usually shoot it once a year-good times!

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I agree regarding their historical value to a degree, but the market value is kind of tough. I've got a 1945 Remington Rand, which has gone through a depot rebuild. Great gun, and I appreciate it, but I'm skeptical of its investment value-but it is a family legacy, so it's not going anywhere.

I usually shoot it once a year-good times!

Best, Jon
    I'm sure their value will increase with time. Look at prices on mixmaster M1 Garands and Carbines now, compared to ten years ago. Still, buying something like this as an investment is a fools errand. Buy it because it speaks to you, not as a way to put the kids through college. If the idea of owning a 1911 that's seen military service appeals to you, then it's worth the asking price, if not then carry on. Now, there's a better than average chance the pistol one receives will never have done anything more than stand quarterdeck watch peirside in Diego. But, that won't stop the imagination from taking over when you're seated in your recliner, watching Sands of Iwo Jima with the pistol resting on you beer gut. In the end, that's really the CMPs target audience.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm sure their value will increase with time. Look at prices on mixmaster M1 Garands and Carbines now, compared to ten years ago. Still, buying something like this as an investment is a fools errand. Buy it because it speaks to you, not as a way to put the kids through college. If the idea of owning a 1911 that's seen military service appeals to you, then it's worth the asking price, if not then carry on. Now, there's a better than average chance the pistol one receives will never have done anything more than stand quarterdeck watch peirside in Diego. But, that won't stop the imagination from taking over when you're seated in your recliner, watching Sands of Iwo Jima with the pistol resting on you beer gut. In the end, that's really the CMPs target audience.
    Totally agree. We're on the same sheet of music. (Especially with some of the CMP auction pieces.

Best, Jon

I hope people realize that some of those pistols that are being uncrated are on the CMP auction site. Those are the ones that have instant collector value. There's one there right now that's up to $1700 because it has never been to arsenal to be refurbished.

https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...1A1-SN-1048097
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A check of Gunbroker where wildly inflated prices are often the rule shows the last 20 USGI M1 Carbines with mixed parts/non-rarities that had two or more bids sold for an average of $1025.00. Not exactly high dollar. They have basically appreciated to the current CMP price for worn out mixed parts 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    A check of Gunbroker where wildly inflated prices are often the rule shows the last 20 USGI M1 Carbines with mixed parts/non-rarities that had two or more bids sold for an average of $1025.00. Not exactly high dollar. They have basically appreciated to the current CMP price for worn out mixed parts 1911s.
    About 10 years ago you could buy all of the USGI mix master carbines you wanted for around $700. I purchased one around that time. That's a 46% increase in value in 10 years. The only reason that happened is because the import supply was being depleted and is now zero.

The CMP 1911's may have a few more years before the supply runs out because the Army had 80,000 of those. Any real appreciation won't be realized for many years. There's so many of those I expect the market for the correct examples to be somewhat diluted because about 10% of the pistols coming into the CMP are unarsenaled collectible pistols. Maybe 8000 into the market eventually.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I hope people realize that some of those pistols that are being uncrated are on the CMP auction site. Those are the ones that have instant collector value. There's one there right now that's up to $1700 because it has never been to arsenal to be refurbished.

https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...1A1-SN-1048097
    Up to $3600 now

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Up to $3600 now
    That's pretty crazy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's pretty crazy.
    It's cool but not that cool

User Tag List