Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sure Glad I Didn't Hop On The Recent Overpriced CMP 1911 Bandwagon

Sure Glad I Didn't Hop On The Recent Overpriced CMP 1911 Bandwagon

I was tempted but confident if I held out for a bit I would find a vintage Colt 1911 in better condition for less money.

Last week I acquired a 1928 Hartford Mass. manufactured Colt 1911A1. It is one of the 10,000 1927 Colt 1911A1's produced for the final Argentine contract.
    It's a solid VG+ condition with an arsenal repark. Matching numbers on the slide, barrel, and magazine, while the frame is a different serial number within the Colt Argentine contract. Runs like a champ with 230 FMJ and HST. For $300 I was quite pleased.

Argentine contract Colt on the bottom.

Name:  20200522_133531_Burst01.jpg
Views: 7665
Size:  100.0 KB

You are buying a certain provenance with the CMP 1911s. For others, it's not about just getting the best grade at the lowest price.

Nicely done!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Nice find. Do they have any more where you picked it up?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    You are buying a certain provenance with the CMP 1911s. For others, it's not about just getting the best grade at the lowest price.
    Not really; my understanding is that they're pretty much a likely a mixmaster from one or more likely depot rebuilds. So with the CMP guns, it's also about getting the best grade at the lowest price.

Other than the potential whiff of history, the only practical advantage of a CMP gun it that thy have some portions of the slide that are more hardened than the pre-war 1911s, but your best bet for a more thorough-hardened 1911 is gonna be with a post-WWII commercial production piece.

Frankly, the Series 70 Repros may be the best way to go if you want a Colt 1911A1, particularly if you actually plan on giving it any serious use, given their higher quality steels, better sights, and dimpled chamber; and the choice between blued or stainless steel.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Not really; my understanding is that they're pretty much a likely a mixmaster from one or more likely depot rebuilds. So with the CMP guns, it's also about getting the best grade at the lowest price.

Other than the potential whiff of history, the only practical advantage of a CMP gun it that thy have some portions of the slide that are more hardened than the pre-war 1911s, but your best bet for a more thorough-hardened 1911 is gonna be with a post-WWII commercial production piece.

Frankly, the Series 70 Repros may be the best way to go if you want a Colt 1911A1, particularly if you actually plan on giving it any serious use, given their higher quality steels, better sights, and dimpled chamber; and the choice between blued or stainless steel.

Best, Jon
    While you turn your nose up at the history of these CMP offerings, please take my word for it is a major draw for many. I put in for one. At no time was I thinking about case hardening. Had I gotten one, I wouldn't have planned on giving it any hard use.

The rest of your post kind of makes my point. If you are interested in a CMP 1911, it's not for the steel, the sights or a dimpled chamber. So what does that leave you? The history.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I would say that some who bought the CMP 1911's did so with the mistaken belief they were buying into provenance, history, and collectors value. With the mix of parts and multiple rebuilds there can be no provenance or real collectors value compared to thousands of 1911's already on the market. What the CMP was most recently selling was over priced mish mash parts guns with a US Govt property stamp.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 05-27-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Nice find. Do they have any more where you picked it up?
    Nope, it came out of a private collection.

I have a RGN for a CMP 1911. They've already passed me by and it looks like I got dropped. Not sure why that would happen but they have that dual background check requirement that probably doomed me. Not that I can't pass one, I did a few months ago and have never been denied, but that's a lot of federal/state inter agency BS to wade thru here.

Anyway, I don't know if the price of one of those pistols is worth what the CMP is charging. My friend who has a FFL has transferred 5 field grade guns. He's also a collector so I assume he knows the business end of that. He told me that 4 of the 5 he received was a good buy. He said one wasn't based on condition.

I'm probably just going to move on. 19 months is a long time to wait for maybe a good deal.

If anyone thinks a USGI mixmaster has no collector value you haven't been following the price of M1 carbines for the last 5 years. The supply is gone. The demand isn't.

800 bucks will buy you a good 70 series Colt. These CMP guns aren't going to be shooters so any comparison is apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-27-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you want one of these, great. But you need to be fully informed, especially if investment potential is part of your acquisition motivation.

Read the CMP information carefully; they're very up front about these guns being mixmasters, potentially being rebuilt multiple times, and with a likely mix of GI and commercial parts-and then there's the condition of a given 1911 or 1911 CMP category to factor in.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

Again, thier historical signifacance is (at least in my mnd) significantly diminished, due to their lack of specific provenance, and mish-mash of components. My understanding is that during a depot rebuild, the guns are detail disassembled, the components seperated, inspected, cleaned (if not rejected) and rebuilt/refinished, and reassembled-with the components from bins irrespective of their original pistol from which they came-hey, it's the joy of mass assembly interchangable/replacable components...

So, essentially, what you're getting is a 1911A1 (or perhaps a 1911A1 with 1911 components...) of which SOME of those components might have been in a 1911A1 of historical significance; but not the pistol overall as a assembled entity.

Hey, they're "neat" guns, and an homage to an era and part of our collective history. But not likely suted to hard use, and, in my opinion, certainly not likely to significantly increase in value, at least wihle there are likely thousands of 1911s presumably with a provinance available. I appreciate that CMP is making these available, but-Caveat Emptor. Be very clear in your mind what you're getting, and why you desire it is my advice.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-27-2020 at 03:45 PM.

User Tag List