Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sorting brass

sorting brass

For all us Brass magnets out here, how do you separate your 9mm from 380 auto? at my gun club shooters sweep their brass and throw it into 5 gallon buckets which you are free to take. I use the three tray system to separate calibers but them short little 380 are always in with the 9's. I have had a few get all the way through the progressive press, they look kind of funny with the bullet sticking out so far and they look like they would cycle through a semi auto.
    Thanks and Carry on

No experience with it, but there is this...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012981254

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    For all us Brass magnets out here, how do you separate your 9mm from 380 auto? at my gun club shooters sweep their brass and throw it into 5 gallon buckets which you are free to take. I use the three tray system to separate calibers but them short little 380 are always in with the 9's. I have had a few get all the way through the progressive press, they look kind of funny with the bullet sticking out so far and they look like they would cycle through a semi auto.
    Thanks and Carry on

Thanks

exactly what I was looking for, I guess I should have googled it.
    Thanks rca90gsx

Site Supporter
    I tumble the 9mm and 380 together and sort out the 380 as I feed the Dillon 550. Keep a coffee can next to the 550 for 380. Ratio is probably 20 to 1 with mostly 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    how do you separate your 9mm from 380 auto?
    I have a similar issue and usually "separate" them when I notice I'm having trouble seating a primer in my Dillon 650. The shell plate doesn't hold the .380 securely enough for a clean priming stroke. That's my (less than optimal) system. I'll explore the option mentioned above.

I murder myself doing it by hand. In longer sessions, I find that I'm able to do it by feel, which is probably a sign I need a brass sorter.

In these plague times, I have considered offering to pay a friend's kids to sort a massive tray of brass I have lying around (think: 5-gallon bucket volume). I don't know how she would feel about that. Also, since it's kids, I'd want to tumble the brass to get as much lead and crap off them as possible (how very liberal of me), which without sorting, would result in a lot of .45-.40-9 sandwiches.

Although I'd say you're not a true brass magnet until you've managed to get a .50AE-.45-.40-9-.32 sandwich. And true champions also squeeze a .25 in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I tumble the 9mm and 380 together and sort out the 380 as I feed the Dillon 550. Keep a coffee can next to the 550 for 380. Ratio is probably 20 to 1 with mostly 9mm.
    The .380's won't be fed by the 550 case feed when set up for 9mm, so that is how I sort them. I took a dental pick and custom bent it to get in and get the little SOB's out of there. I will go most of a 5 gallon bucket without one then all of a sudden run into 5 or six. Really not worth the extra step in sorting for me as long as I'm running the 550.

I do it by hand also.

Bob

Much respect to the amount of time this guy puts into inspecting his brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkUnUqMo8U
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Much respect to the amount of time this guy puts into inspecting his brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkUnUqMo8U
    If you don't sort by head stamp this can be very fast. Once I remove the non 9mm I will dump the tray instead of refilling the empty holes. I can do I 5 gallon bucket before a cup of coffee has a chance to cool off.

User Tag List