Thread: RFI: Opinions on the Mantis X/x 10 system?

RFI: Opinions on the Mantis X/x 10 system?

Some people seem to really be loving these for dry fire. Looking for some opinions on the Mantis X system, specifically the X10 but welcome input from anyone who used.any mantis model.

Thanks!

I used the original for a bit. It did what it advertised, which is cool. The feedback it gives you is based on the diagnostic pistol target, which is a slight negative.

I mounted a red dot sight shortly after, which gives you the same info, it just doesn't record it.

The MantisX is now lost in a drawer somewhere.
    David S.

I bought the DryFireMag with integrated Mantis X10. It only works for dry fire, but of course has the DFM’s reset features. I use it mostly as a dry fire shot timer, which is more precise than using a par time on a traditional shot timer.

I like it. It’s priced a bit high at ~$200, but I’ve found myself doing more dryfire now that I have it. The Mantis app nags you (if you ask it to) to practice, and I appreciate having the logged results. Yeah, I could just be more diligent on my own, but I’ll take whatever help I can get to build good habits.

The X10 versions support holster draw analysis, which I probably use most. It breaks down your time into different buckets (time to grip, horizontal motion, trigger), allowing you to see opportunities for improvement. My current “wheels coming off” speed is 1.2 seconds from AIWB, while using the strong hand to break concealment. I’m pretty smooth at 1.5.

If you’re considering either a standalone DFM or an older Mantis (each of which are $80-$100), I think you should spend the extra to get the combined model. However, if you already dry fire regularly and have a system that works for you, it may not be worth getting either of them.

The standalone X10 would be tough for me to justify at $250. You wouldn’t get the resetting trigger of the DFM (arguably this isn’t needed, but I find it helpful to practice reprepping), and you’d need to deal with mounting it. If you mount it on the rail, you run into holster issues. If you mount it on a magazine, you run into mag change issues (which admittedly exist with the DFM version too, but the DFM version costs less).

Here is a link to a thread I started about trying the MantisX DryFireMag: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-with-MantisX

User Tag List