Thread: .22 Trainers/Understudies, Identical actions vs different actions

.22 Trainers/Understudies, Identical actions vs different actions

If a person were going to get a .22 trainer for lower cost practice, which would be more beneficial?

If you were a Glock shooter, would it be more beneficial to get a G44/AA upper or a nice .22 LR DA revolver?

Similarly, if you were a Beretta 92 shooter shooter, would it be more beneficial to get a .22 trainer upper or a nice .22 LR DA revolver?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    If a person were going to get a .22 trainer for lower cost practice, which would be more beneficial?

If you were a Glock shooter, would it be more beneficial to get a G44/AA upper or a nice .22 LR DA revolver?

Similarly, if you were a Beretta 92 shooter shooter, would it be more beneficial to get a .22 trainer upper or a nice .22 LR DA revolver?
    I think it goes without saying that the more similar the understudy is to the primary pistol,
    the more useful it is as a training device.

It also goes without saying that you should get a both an understudy and a nice .22 LR DA revolver.
    But get the identical understudy first.

Site Supporter
    Depends on what kind of training benefit one wishes to get from the .22. Any trigger time is trigger time, but I think that you will maximize the benefit of the .22 to your sport or defensive practice if the sub caliber gun is as close to identical as you can get. apparently, a lot of people agree with that idea. That is why the .22 caliber M18 exists to partner the M15 and the 17 partners the 14 in S&W kframe revolvers, and so forth.

I love .22s. I started shooting with .22s, and will probably finish my shooting life with .22s. I have similar/identical understudies with an M18 S&W and corresponding larger caliber S&W revolvers, and a G44 with corresponding larger caliber Glocks. I also have a Ruger MKII, and Single Six, just because guns are fun and don’t have to be super serious all the time.

In my opinion, .22 trainers serve two primary purposes, trigger control work and lower-cost practice with the same platform. As such, the conversion kit makes a ton of sense, especially as there will be more failure drills due to the nature of .22 ammo.

That being said, any .22 that is fun to shoot and gets me shooting is worth it. Lately I have been on a Colt Woodsman and derivatives (Browning Challenger, Colt Challenger, Colt Huntsman, Iver Johnson Trailsman) kick and have been shooting those guns. The actions and controls are nothing like my G17.3 carry pistol; however, the focused target shooting helps me with my Glock shooting.

So, in true P-F.com fashion, buy both the conversion kit and the DA revolver.

User Tag List