Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Once you go dot, do you ever shoot irons again?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Really. I thought they went out after a hours. I didn't know you could just leave them on.
    Any optic that looks slightly blue has a coating that allows more efficient use of the LED light so it can be set to draw a small amount of power and be usable. Gaming/budget optics generally don't have the coating and require more power use for the same brightness.

The advertised battery life, at least on the RMR is 5 years on medium brightness.

Site Supporter
    I jumped into red dots about a year ago, and now want one on all my "serious" pistols, which are Glocks. The exception is my G42, but I have a fiber optic front sight on that, which I think helps bridge the gap somewhat. As small as it is, I'm tempted to see if it can handle a dot. I will probably pick up a G17 soon and keep it with irons just to maintain proficiency, teach new shooters, as well as to revisit the fundamentals from time to time.

Site Supporter
    This is probably pretty obvious, but I think attitude when you first start shooting with a dot plays a large role in how you progress.

When I first started working out of the holster and up close with a dot I didn’t think to myself “this sucks and I’m slower”. My first though was “Damn I guess my index/ sight picture from the draw was actually a lot crappier than I thought it was. Then I spent a probably a month in dry-fire 2 or 3 times a week rebuilding my draw stroke so that the dot would be there when I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is probably pretty obvious, but I think attitude when you first start shooting with a dot plays a large role in how you progress.

When I first started working out of the holster and up close with a dot I didn’t think to myself “this sucks and I’m slower”. My first though was “Damn I guess my index/ sight picture from the draw was actually a lot crappier than I thought it was. Then I spent a probably a month in dry-fire 2 or 3 times a week rebuilding my draw stroke so that the dot would be there when I needed it.
    Wisdom
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I like to stay proficient with irons. I take my service rifle A2 out 1-2x a year just to keep me so. I figure between shooting irons on my pistol and a yearly refresher with the A2 I'm at least not at full suck.

One thing for sure, as I approach 50 things are beginning to get a little fuzzy.

Like many do, I think red dots on pistols is the future, but I personally don’t think the tech is there yet.

There is something to be said about what red dots show you and can teach you. Hopefully sooner then later the tech will mature and we will see better solutions.

I thought my presentation before the RMR was good. Boy was I wrong. Now, my irons work is better, and I have many pistols that I will never mill for a dot, so it's all "win" for me

I'm being tempted by the updated VP9 and the updated @GJM-proofed DeltaPointPro for after I get my Rattler sorted out...

At 35, having been near-sighted since I was 10, I'm starting to see effects of presbyopia...I'm finding myself taking off my glasses to look at my phone or read a book. I can just make out the mole-sized scar near the base of the web of my hand at full extension with my glasses off. At this point, a dot will absolutely be needed for any distance shooting where I may not have corrective lenses on, in the next few years.

I've long felt the RMR was a stop-gap that at best plays at being a decent dot. The larger window of the DPP, without a significant increase in bulk, really makes it the choice to me. But the mediocre battery life and issues with ruggedness clearly kept it from being a player. In no small part thanks to GJM, it would appear the DPP is really on the cusp of being there, if it isn't there now at least as far as open-emitter optics go.

The ACRO is clearly a turd at this point, leaving no real closed-emitter optic out there for serious purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Really. I thought they went out after a hours. I didn't know you could just leave them on.

Depends on the dot sight. Delta points shut off and “shake awake”. This is one of the failure modes in high volume use. RMRs stay on all the time and have battery life measured in years.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Carrying a dot daily now for a decade--no, I will never go back to irons. Of course, I can't see irons now, so that is a factor.......
    Same as Doc, except older. Pretty much no matter where I'm going or what I'm doing, I'm going to grab a red dot gun to do it with. I have irons on all my red-dot-equipped guns, but can't really see them sharply enough to shoot a nice group. Hugely better, and more confident, with the dot.

As others have said, my problem was not so much finding the dot. Instead, the dot just pointed out my poor indexing with the irons. Well, in part the indexing, more so the poor focusing/eyesight. But I would think, for a new shooter starting out, the dot would be an immense help, compared to figuring out irons.

I've been lucky, I guess, durability-wise. One old RMR had to go back for flickering. Three or four others, plus two SROs, have given me no trouble, with thousands of rounds through each.

User Tag List