Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Once you go dot, do you ever shoot irons again?

I certainly don't want to go back, and although my recent switch from Glock to HK P30 makes the dot more expensive I'll be sending 3 slides to L&M soon.

After working through the initial learning curve I think the positives definitely outweigh the negatives for me. For close targets, the time to first shot is about the same with the dot as irons for me, but every shot after that is faster with a dot. For further distances the dot wins by so much it isn't even close.

However, I think one advantage that doesn't come up as often as it should is the ability to be target focused. In defensive use being able to clearly see the bad guy and what he is doing, or no longer doing could completely change the outcome of the encounter.

I haven't run into any issues with getting an RMR dirty in normal carry conditions, but I would love to see some options that would allow the optic to be covered while in the holster. I've thought about trying to fab up some type of solution with a Strike Industries Jelly Fish that is tethered to the holster so that it can pop off when you draw, but I have no idea how something like that would work in actual use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    So it doesn't fog up like glasses?
    I haven’t noticed any problems yet, but I’m sure it’s possible, especially where it’s colder. We rarely have days with lows lower than mid twenties and the average daily high in the winter is still usually close to fifty, a notably cold day would have highs around 38-40.

Carrying a dot daily now for a decade--no, I will never go back to irons. Of course, I can't see irons now, so that is a factor.......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    In dryfire since mounting the dot I'm not hunting the dot at all. My index puts the dot where it needs to be automatically for 7yds and closer. In live fire borrowing Karmapolice's G45 w/RMR 2 weeks ago I shot a 4.59 clean FAST. Not bad for the first time running a dot in a year.
    I took I think 6 years off from dots to just shoot irons. In that time I actually shot quite a lot, much more than prior to having a dot gun.

In my first dot foray, I used an RMR and while I worked a lot of dry fire, I did comparatively little live fire compared to now. Since getting back into a dot for just a couple weeks now, with a DPP, I have found the transition seamless. Especially in those mid ranges between 5-15 yards where I used to have trouble finding the dot. I would put my close range dot performance as comparable to irons now, and while my longer range accuracy is also comparable, the dot is a lot faster, and requires much less brain bandwidth.

Part of the issue with my prior foray into dots was that I was looking at the dot rather than looking at the target. Currently I look at the target and the dot just seems to appear quite nicely. This could be a function of the DPP having a much larger window than an RMR.

Either way, I don't at all feel I will give up on irons. I like what the dot is teaching me, but it is more drama/maintenance, etc compared to irons.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    So it doesn't fog up like glasses?
    I use Cat Crap on mine and haven't noticed any fogging. We don't exactly have harsh winters here though.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/produ...cleaner-paste/

forgive the question but how does it work in a SD situation? Do you have to turn them on when you draw?
    In competitions shooters turn them on, and they often go off between stages.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After shooting a dot a lot, you will naturally shoot irons with a target focus, so the two sighting systems will seem similar.
    I agree. The dot on my CO Shadow2 seemed similar, despite everyone telling me how different and difficult the ‘transition to the Dot’ would be. “You’ll keep losing the dot!” “Watch out for the C-more shuffle!”

Maybe because it was on the same gun I shoot so much with irons, there wasn’t any big transition, and I find it easy to go back and forth.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    forgive the question but how does it work in a SD situation? Do you have to turn them on when you draw?
    In competitions shooters turn them on, and they often go off between stages.
    My RMR stays on 24/7 and I change the battery once a year for peace of mind. I have let it go for as long as two years before on the second highest brightness setting.

In matches guys seem to either have budget dots with a 2 hour battery life or just know that they can leave it on for the match and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    My RMR stays on 24/7 and I change the battery once a year for peace of mind. I have let it go for as long as two years before on the second highest brightness setting.

In matches guys seem to either have budget dots with a 2 hour battery life or just know that they can leave it on for the match and be fine.
    Really. I thought they went out after a hours. I didn't know you could just leave them on.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I found the dot to be helpful in practice--especially in dryfire.
    It helped me immensely in dryfire, as iron sights “lie” - if you don’t know what you’re looking for, it may seem as if you’re holding the pistol much more steady than you really are.

The red dot is instant feedback. If you’re not holding it still you’ll see the dot jumping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List