Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Once you go dot, do you ever shoot irons again?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    A dialed in RMR is a joy to shoot.

It’s not going to help with Bill Drills or Failure to Stop at 5-7 yds. For multiple targets at varying ranges and longer (~15+ yds) shots, I personally find it quicker and far more accurate. Just put the dot where you want the bullet to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Dale Fricke Seraphim has a hood that protects the optic to a degree. But doesn’t stop anything from coming in through the top, if that’s your concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The main problem is that open emitter optics basically become a bucket that collects sweat and grime. An Acro style sight would help solve that problem, but battery-life and bulk (mainly bulk) makes it a no go for me right now.

I work outdoors in central Alabama. Starting around May until Octoberish being completely covered in sweat after 5 minutes of physical activity outside is my current reality. Winter carry is doable.

ETA: even if I can’t carry a dot all the time, using one in dry and live fire has improved my shooting with irons enough that I still think it was a great purchase.

About 5 years ago I bought a Suarez slide and an RMR 06 for my G19 carry gun. I tried it for a few months, and didn't find that the dot improved my shooting inside 20 yards enough to justify the added complexity. As well, the optic got dusty--and even worse--wet and muddy when carried in the field. I haven't used it much since then, and just sold it to a friend whose vision requires a dot.

I also set up a Shadow2 for Carry Optics, and have shot 5,000 rounds and a few matches with it over the last year. CO is fun, but my passion is still in Production. I found the dot to be helpful in practice--especially in dryfire. I've made some improvement in my transitions last season, and part of that may have been by using the dot. But, I don't shoot that gun very much, and doubt I'll compete in CO at all this season.

My pistols have iron sights, and my carbines have dots.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Installed a dot.
    Recognized that there's potential in the concept.
    Realized quickly that it's still just a good concept with a lot of potential due to current technology limitations.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I had this thought on Saturday, shooting my Staccato C with a TLR8AG for the first time. Being able to put the dot on the target, hold the gun steady and press the trigger without even worrying about the sights was pretty spectacular, and resulted in a group about 2.5" for 9 rounds at 25 yards. Part of this is a combination of a super accurate pistol with a great trigger that feels great in my hand. But, by comparison, last weekend I shot 10 rounds at 25 using irons, and posted a very lackluster 86-2X. Had I shot this group on a B8, it would have been about a 98-2X.

As luck would have it, I don't own a holster for the C with light attached (yet), and mainly bought it for bedside use. Now I can see that once I have suitable carry gear, it's going to be part of my daily loadout. I can only imagine that, once I settle on an RDS for this pistol the results won't be similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Winter carry is doable.

ETA: even if I can’t carry a dot all the time, using one in dry and live fire has improved my shooting with irons enough that I still think it was a great purchase.
    So it doesn't fog up like glasses?

After shooting a dot a lot, you will naturally shoot irons with a target focus, so the two sighting systems will seem similar.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After shooting a dot a lot, you will naturally shoot irons with a target focus, so the two sighting systems will seem similar.
    This has been my experience as well. More recently, the front sight on my non dot equipped guns are fuzzy. I still go to the range and shoot them and have found that I have become target focused and my accuracy has not suffered much. With that being said, I am transitioning over to all of my guns with red dots. Only ankle guns or backup guns will have irons for concealability.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting. I think the biggest mistake I made when trying a dot for the first time last year (borrowed Karmapolice's ACRO for about 300 rds) was that I was coming straight off a Beretta back to a Glock 19. Grip angle and therefore index is hugely different between those two. This is what led to my perception of the dot being so much slower up close. Conversely this go-round I'm about 1,400 rounds into shooting this G19. In dryfire since mounting the dot I'm not hunting the dot at all. My index puts the dot where it needs to be automatically for 7yds and closer. In live fire borrowing Karmapolice's G45 w/RMR 2 weeks ago I shot a 4.59 clean FAST. Not bad for the first time running a dot in a year.

I suppose the "good enough" sight picture falls somewhere in between a target and front sight focus for me shooting irons up close. Once I get to about 10yds is when I have to start paying more attention to the front sight.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    My eyes tend to see an electronic optical dot, as provided by the miniaturized optics for mounting on pistols, (MRDS,) as a disturbingly tilted figure 8, so I will probably never fully embrace dots, for all purposes, and all conditions. In some conditions, I would rather use the dot, but in others, I would rather not.
    Has anyone with an astigmatism looked through the 407CO? Its the doughnut of death model and the reticle looks very crisp to me (I have bad eyes but no astigmatism). It reminds me of an ACOG horseshoe and I decided to try one when they went on sale for $200 (older V1). The newer V2 models I have seen for $245 online.

Here are some pics from another thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post964325

I can already see the speed/accuracy potential at 25 yards and it does lead me to looking at places to mill slides. Hopefully the RMR footprint continues as a standard and we can continue to get improved MRDS that fit our pistols. Having a milled Glock slide also means the sights can be standard height and thus your presentation should be very close, with or without the dot.

User Tag List