Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Wiley Clapp" GP-100 vs Match Champion GP-100

Site Supporter
    Let him buy what ever strikes his fancy. Then he can learn from it, like all the rest of us did in our own "younger days". (smile)

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    How do you feel about the GP100 MC versus a 686 4"?
    One of the things I like about the MC is the traditional aesthetics of the short ejector shroud. Also, the MC's barrel flats somehow do away with the slack-jawed "Cletus from the Simpsons" look that the round-barrel, short-shroud Rugers impress me with (a little bit, at least, if you get them from the wrong angle).

I don't care for the way the full-lug 686s balance, especially the six-inch.

If I could find a five-inch, short-shroud 686, I would be all over it. That happened once, until I realized it was the only revolver I've personally inspected that was actually out of time. Don't know whether it got that way honestly, by being shot, or by someone monkeying with its gubbinses, but I wasn't about to take on that magnitude of project.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-26-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Let him buy what ever strikes his fancy. Then he can learn from it, like all the rest of us did in our own "younger days". (smile)

Dave
    Yes, but then I have to listen to him complain about it if he doesn't like it.

Since I am the "gun guy" in our circle of friends, I am the resource. He is the resource for incredible BBQ (and chicken and crab boils for that matter).

So, I don't want to sour this if possible.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Sounds like you need to buy yourself a Match Champion and let him shoot it to decide if he likes it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Aren't the WC ones 3" with fixed sights? Well driftable? Blued or stainless?

I have the 3” WC in 10mm. I love it, carry it, shoot it often.
    BUT, I have a 6” Security Six I’ve basically owned since I was in your friends shoes. I’d suggest he buy a 4”-6” .357 and shoot everything from 148gr wadcutters to 180gr Magnums thru it until he “finds himself”.

I have the MC 10mm and am starting to come around to Ruger DAs at last.

I had to switch to the stock rubber grips, the Hogue's point about as naturally as a brick.

Someone commented on the shimmed hammer. Mine came with one shim. I've added two more. It would probably take another if I could figure out how to get it in without slipping out of alignment.

The hammer dog looked like it could turn sideways in the recess. Three shims there helped the action quite a bit. Someone more dexteritous could probably install a fourth.

That's not to beat up on the gun, it's a great revolver and I like having a borderline big-bore on a medium frame. I would've done at least that much tweaking on a new Smith.

It shoots close to MOA at 25 yards with Sig Elite 180 FMJs (which, BTW, are pretty hot, average1250 fps.).

Soon as I find a good handload I'll try it out on the hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sounds like you need to buy yourself a Match Champion and let him shoot it to decide if he likes it.
    I am trying to get rid of revolvers, not add more.

If I hadn't already caught the consolidation/simplification bug, I might be tempted to do that. You guys almost make me want to get one.

Ya'll are enablers.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Aren't the WC ones 3" with fixed sights? Well driftable? Blued or stainless?
    Yup. Brass front sight for the blued, green fiber optic for the stainless. Plain black Novak rear. No elevation adjustment but can be drifted, as you said.

Mine:

Name:  GP100WC.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  73.7 KB
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yup. Brass front sight for the blued, green fiber optic for the stainless. Plain black Novak rear. No elevation adjustment but can be drifted, as you said.

Mine:

Name:  GP100WC.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  73.7 KB
    Adjustable Novak rears can be had:

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List