Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Wiley Clapp" GP-100 vs Match Champion GP-100

"Wiley Clapp" GP-100 vs Match Champion GP-100

I have a friend who is really wanting to get a revolver, I have tried to talk him into buying one of mine that I am selling () but he wants a Ruger, mine are all Smifs. He has never owned a revolver before and knows next to nothing about them. He has shot them before but never owned them. I did convince him that he wanted to start with a .357 (not the .44 or 454 that he originally asked me about).

He said that his usage would mostly be range fun but that he might try to carry it but considering he only carries a LCP now, I don't really see that happening.

He asked me which one to get but I told him that I have never even held a GP-100 but I told him that I knew where there were people who could give a better answer.

So, if you were going to choose one or the other to be your only revolver, which would you choose and why?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Between those two, the Match Champion.

But it's kind of a silly question. Once you get one, you realize that it is a matter of only two revolvers. The other one is the Lipsey's 5-inch half-lug blued model. But I got the MC first.

I like the longer barrels and half lug. On my body, with a 36-inch waist, in the clothes I have to wear where I live in order to not soak them with sweat just sitting around, no GP is what I consider concealable. So actually carrying it is a rare proposition where open is appropriate.

Then it's only three revolvers, because you actually can conceal a J frame...

I'll always tell anybody to get the GP100 MC first, if they think they want to get a revolver. It's the G17/19 of revolvers right now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I own both and am happy with both. I've carried both. In stock configuration, the WC is much more carry friendly. If he's willing to swap to a more compact grip on the MC most of the difference disappears. If I could only have one in stock configuration, it'd be the WC. Otherwise it's mostly a wash. Just if he prefers a 3" or 4" or which one he finds sexier.

Oh, I should add my WC is the "Hawkeye Blue" and I did not find the finish to be very durable. I had to send it back to Ruger very early on and that made me nervous. I have no fear of carrying the MC, but a stainless WC would be the same.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I think he is more interested in, "I got this cool revolver". So to him it is going to be which one is "more cool".

The catch, in our area there are no dealers who stock Ruger DA revolvers, so he will likely have to order it from Buds or other and have it transferred local.

There is one dealer that keeps a decent stash of revolvers in stock but he only carries Smith DA and Ruger SA.

That is part of the reason why I have never even handled a GP-100. I have actually never seen one in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I think he is more interested in, "I got this cool revolver". So to him it is going to be which one is "more cool".

The catch, in our area there are no dealers who stock Ruger DA revolvers, so he will likely have to order it from Buds or other and have it transferred local.

There is one dealer that keeps a decent stash of revolvers in stock but he only carries Smith DA and Ruger SA.

That is part of the reason why I have never even handled a GP-100. I have actually never seen one in the wild.
    You live in a poor neglected area of the country.

At this point my vote is for the MC. Like Buell I have the WC in blue and am not overly enthusiastic about the finish. The general action and configuration I like.

The Match Champion is cooler to shoot, and the Wiley Clapp is cooler to look at. The big "pro" for the MC guns is that they all get a special extra bit of attention at the Ruger factory, so the triggers are decent-ish, the hammers are shimmed, and in general the gun is a shooter out of the box. I've had some QC issues with other Rugers lately, all of which I've been able to fix at an armorer level, but that were still annoying to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    You live in a poor neglected area of the country.

At this point my vote is for the MC. Like Buell I have the WC in blue and am not overly enthusiastic about the finish. The general action and configuration I like.
    Tell me about it.

Rural West TN is pretty neglected.

For general use, in a rural setting the MC is my choice. Adjustable sights, 4" barrel, I have the GP100 44Special rubber grip on mine and I love it. You can dial the sights in for the load that you like. 357s can be loaded from 90grains to 210grains, at least that is my knowledge base. Most folks shoot from 110 to 158 grains, that's a lot of cranking on the rear sight, if you're playing with different loads.

The WC is sexy, and I had one for a short time, didn't care for the brushed stainless finish, hard to clean, Too heavy for "old man EDC" purchased something lighter. Started packing a 4" 357 Python for a living in 1970. I've always owned a 4" 357 of some ilk, usually a Smith ever since. My MC is a very satisfying versatile handgun. I say that with 50 years of 357 carry and use.

A 4" 357 is the 30-06 of handguns.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    WC on cool factor. The aesthetics are excellent, probably the best looking GP100 out of the box. The original grip inserts are unique to the model. Allegedly a limited run, so "scarcity" bragging rights I suppose.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    For general use, in a rural setting the MC is my choice. Adjustable sights, 4" barrel, I have the GP100 44Special rubber grip on mine and I love it. You can dial the sights in for the load that you like. 357s can be loaded from 90grains to 210grains, at least that is my knowledge base. Most folks shoot from 110 to 158 grains, that's a lot of cranking on the rear sight, if you're playing with different loads.

The WC is sexy, and I had one for a short time, didn't care for the brushed stainless finish, hard to clean, Too heavy for "old man EDC" purchased something lighter. Started packing a 4" 357 Python for a living in 1970. I've always owned a 4" 357 of some ilk, usually a Smith ever since. My MC is a very satisfying versatile handgun. I say that with 50 years of 357 carry and use.

A 4" 357 is the 30-06 of handguns.
    How do you feel about the GP100 MC versus a 686 4"?

I tried to interest him in my 686-4 6" Power Port but he wasn't too keen on the 6" barrel but he seemed to like it okay otherwise. I used to have a 686+ 4" but it never really seemed to "do anything" for me so I let it go years ago.

I think he may have stars in his eyes about the "Match Champion" moniker. He tends to be a "buy skill" type of personality at times.

User Tag List