Thread: No M&P Unlocking Problem Here - Poor Shooting Problem!

No M&P Unlocking Problem Here - Poor Shooting Problem!

Been lurking around a bit here and have learned a whole lot regarding practice. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

I just started an intentional practice plan to improve my skills, and I have used some of the drills I read about here.

This morning, I really learned a lot about where my current skill level stands using the slow marksmanship drill at 25 yards and combining it with a ball and dummy drill. The first time I shot the drill was brutal! For a second, I thought I had an unlocking issue with my M&P. Then I randomly inserted the snap caps in with live rounds, and I immediately identified that I was the problem - pretty significant anticipation of recoil!

Besed on that result, I ran this drill three more times and made myself do 10 perfect dry fires each time I flinched on a dummy round per some of the suggestions on the forum.

The results were great! I began grouping consistently on the target - all within an 8-inch circle which is great for me at this point. And, as I moved to 7-yard drills, I also noticed much tighter grouping. Very motivating!!

So thanks to everyone at PF! You have been a great resource to get me started, excited and confident that I can develop my marksmanship skills. I look forward to trying some of the other practice drills as I move forward.

My M&P 9 has no issues either. I've always been a big fan of going back to the bare basics if "the gun" starts having issues. It's always fixed the problem for me. 99% of the time it's a software issue and not the hardware.

I love this forum, it still offers the the best "signal to noise" on this topic on the entire net.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoHack View Post
    Been lurking around a bit here and have learned a whole lot regarding practice. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

I just started an intentional practice plan to improve my skills, and I have used some of the drills I read about here.

This morning, I really learned a lot about where my current skill level stands using the slow marksmanship drill at 25 yards and combining it with a ball and dummy drill. The first time I shot the drill was brutal! For a second, I thought I had an unlocking issue with my M&P. Then I randomly inserted the snap caps in with live rounds, and I immediately identified that I was the problem - pretty significant anticipation of recoil!

Besed on that result, I ran this drill three more times and made myself do 10 perfect dry fires each time I flinched on a dummy round per some of the suggestions on the forum.

The results were great! I began grouping consistently on the target - all within an 8-inch circle which is great for me at this point. And, as I moved to 7-yard drills, I also noticed much tighter grouping. Very motivating!!

So thanks to everyone at PF! You have been a great resource to get me started, excited and confident that I can develop my marksmanship skills. I look forward to trying some of the other practice drills as I move forward.
    Well done! This forum really does a great job at shifting the emphasis from range outings to have fun and bust some caps to focused skill building. Very cool.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List