Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frangible .223 / 5.56 for a class

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Frangible .223 / 5.56 for a class

I’ve never used frangible ammo before. If you were gonna take a carbine class involving the expenditure of, say, 1000 frang rounds, and you were buying your own and wanted to minimize wear and tear on your weapon, what would you use ? Something without a lead free primer ? One of the semi jacketed frang rounds? I don’t believe I’m required to use lead free primers.

I looked at some older threads here, saw the opinion that the damaging part of some frangible rounds is the lead free primer part, rather than the projectile itself.

As always, thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’ve never used frangible ammo before. If you were gonna take a carbine class involving the expenditure of, say, 1000 frang rounds, and you were buying your own and wanted to minimize wear and tear on your weapon, what would you use ? Something without a lead free primer ? One of the semi jacketed frang rounds? I don’t believe I’m required to use lead free primers.

I looked at some older threads here, saw the opinion that the damaging part of some frangible rounds is the lead free primer part, rather than the projectile itself.

As always, thank you.
    Is Frange required due to use of close range steel or is it a range requirement ?

If the latter, it could be a lead free requirement or it could be due to impact area issues, i.e. a frange bullet that misses the berm will not go as far as a conventional bullet.

The semi jacketed would theoretically reduce barrel wear. Seminar jacked frangible like .MIL AA40 is hard to find. I would likely shy away from frange in a SS Precision barrel for this reason.

Banned
    Thanks. It’s just listed as a course requirement. I don’t see any requirement for lead free primers. Based on what I’ve seen, some of the course, which is an “urban rifle” type class, is close ish steel. I appreciate the advice re my 18 “ SS, which weapon is still, frustratingly, nowhere near complete but also not the one I’d be using for this class.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    ...I looked at some older threads here, saw the opinion that the damaging part of some frangible rounds is the lead free primer part, rather than the projectile itself.

As always, thank you.
    Damage to what? From what I understand, frangible ammo shouldn't be fired through some suppressors & muzzle devices similar in construction to the Battlecomp because the bullet might come apart & cause baffle damage.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Contact your training provider and host location to verify precisely what you need...green, or just frang...and how much of it. The answer can substantially affect price and availability. They may also be able to point you to a vendor with whom either has a relationship or allocation.

Depending on the who/what/where of your class, they may accept some of the available "varmint grenades" as frangible, or frang-enough. They may also have no idea what you're talking about or why that's an option, either.

Many commercial frang loads are a little under-powered, or more variable. You will likely want to verify function and trajectory deviations.

Reclass'ed AA40 is sometimes available. For a time, it was price pointed with regular ball.

Google gave me this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index...-556-frangible
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Damage to what? From what I understand, frangible ammo shouldn't be fired through some suppressors & muzzle devices similar in construction to the Battlecomp because the bullet might come apart & cause baffle damage.
    There’s a thread from 2011 discussing barrel erosion.

Banned
    thanks, I ran that search last night and will ask the trainers exactly what’s ok....I just also wanted to minimize wear and tear if they say, frang is all that is needed. Of course cost is a factor as well. I definitely want to test it and work with it at my home range before the class.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Contact your training provider and host location to verify precisely what you need...green, or just frang...and how much of it. The answer can substantially affect price and availability. They may also be able to point you to a vendor with whom either has a relationship or allocation.

Depending on the who/what/where of your class, they may accept some of the available "varmint grenades" as frangible, or frang-enough. They may also have no idea what you're talking about or why that's an option, either.

Many commercial frang loads are a little under-powered, or more variable. You will likely want to verify function and trajectory deviations.

Reclass'ed AA40 is sometimes available. For a time, it was price pointed with regular ball.

Google gave me this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index...-556-frangible

MistWolf,

Some forms of frang strongly correlate with increased rates of throat erosion and\or barrel wear; predominately the former. While there are some modern frang options that are gentler on guns than duty chamberings; those are likely not the sorts that are being used in large volumes by organizations and\or facilities. I understand that some of the lesser known frang options have different primers involved that are associated with increased wear of other parts, but that's outside of my lane and it's not the main issue associated with the frang.

With that said, the main issue for my workplace with frang is the not-wholly-unfounded perception that the frang doesn't shoot as cleanly as the duty stuff, though it does recoil less as well. It's all a wash for me, as a less-dirty gun and a more-dirty gun take the same amount of time to clean for me... No gun that I've shot out the barrel of had frang as an identified contributing factor.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Banned
    Which ones in your experience @runcible are the ones prone to such erosion? This is what I’m trying to avoid. Which are the better ones? Dirty I can live with and fix. I understand it’s ‘only’ 1000 rounds but still.

Banned
    Sorry, weird dbl tap
    Last edited by Medusa; 05-25-2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Sorry duplicate

User Tag List