Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight LPVOs?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I tried a tr25 (same reticle but 1-6) and Kahles K16i on a HD rifle a few years ago and ended up back with an Aimpoint.

The triangle can wash out if you are shooting from a dark area to a lit area or if you are using a weapon light. You can still see the reticle, but it will be black and not as eye catching and I’d prefer battery powered for that reason.

The triangle reticle not only doesn’t have hold overs on the reticle for longer range shots, but the posts will actively block your target if you try to hold over.

Even with the best LPVO you still add weight and shrink the eye box compared to an Aimpoint micro.

They can absolutely still work fire that purpose, but realize that you are making sacrifices. With the size of my home/property the magnification doesn’t offer any added benefit for a home defense purposes.

You mentioned not wanting to short change the gun due to its accuracy, but I’d lean more towards not wanting to short change myself out on the intended use of the rifle. If you can only have one rifle, setting it up to do everything makes, but realistically if you want a HD gun you may be better off taking the ~$2000 a Kahles + mount costs and getting a SBR/pistol and Aimpoint.

All that said, I really like LPVOs but I’m not too sensitive to a few extra ounces. I kept my razor 1-6 gen 2 E over the Kahles for a 13.9” do everything rifle since I prefer the illumination, reticle, build quality, illumination dial, and extra money in my pocket.

I have a gen 3 on order for a more long range proposed rifle with Centurion Arms MK12 barrel.
    I already have a pair of SBRs with Aimpoint PROs that I am quite happy with for true HD purposes. For the 16" with the SS barrel, I'm pretty certain I want the LPVO - I just want it to be of comparable quality/durability (or, as close as I can reasonably get).

I might pull the PST off my other gun and see how it balances. Maybe the 8oz isn't as big of a deal, but I do think I want something lighter for this rifle.

If you are happy with a 1-4 my vote goes Steiner. I had an h2 prior to switching to the Steiner, the dot is definitely daylight bright and the glass is very clear.

If you are talking over 1k, a kahles 1-6 or night force 1-8 would be my pick.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hm. That is appealing. How would you feel about the TR24 on a HD rifle? I partially envision this rifle as being the ever-elusive "do all" rifle so its utility in that role is something I am thinking about as well.

I'll have to think about the triangle reticle, could see myself either loving or hating it. The rifle has a 416R SS barrel that has proven pretty accurate so I don't want to short change the gun, either.
    As long as the rifle has a light it would be fine.

You have to PID anything you would shoot in a HD scenario anyway.

The triangle is big enough that it draws enough light from the FO and tritium to be feasible. Use it as a large red /green dot close up, inside 50. use the tip of the triangle (zeroed to 100y) from 50-150. 200 - cover, 300 use the post at the base of the triangle.

If you want a red dot with a magnifier without the downsides that are inherent the combo, the TR24 is GTG.

If the triangle gives you pause, STEINER PX4i.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-25-2020 at 07:38 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As long as the rifle has a light it would be fine.

You have to PID anything you would shoot in a HD scenario anyway.

The triangle is big enough that it draws enough light from the FO and tritium to be feasible. Use it as a large red /green dot close up, inside 50. use the tip of the triangle (zeroed to 100y) from 50-150. 200 - cover, 300 use the post at the base of the triangle.

If you want a red dot with a magnifier without the downsides that are inherent the combo, the TR24 is GTG.

If the triangle gives you pause, STEINER PX4i.
    Hmmm. That's something to think about. Are the PX4is that big of a step up? Mostly I have mixed feelings about paying $600 for an optic that was $450 a few years back. I looked at the Steiner pretty carefully when I was shopping for my first LPVO and ended up with the PST Gen 2 for this reason (and a couple others).

Leaning towards the TR24 but also looking at the spendier options, eg the Kahles. Will keep doing reading on M4c, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hmmm. That's something to think about. Are the PX4is that big of a step up? Mostly I have mixed feelings about paying $600 for an optic that was $450 a few years back. I looked at the Steiner pretty carefully when I was shopping for my first LPVO and ended up with the PST Gen 2 for this reason (and a couple others).

Leaning towards the TR24 but also looking at the spendier options, eg the Kahles. Will keep doing reading on M4c, etc.
    The PX4i was $550 new - and it was an under priced sleeper. You can still find them usedfor $500ish.

The PST gen 2 is ok but to get the extra 2x you are adding a lot of weight. No freel lunch.

For your price range, even with the new pricing on Big Daddy Unlimited you can get a Steiner P4Xi for $600 brand new, with a 30mm scalarworks mount for $306. Coming in at $906 for your budget.

I've pushed my SR16 out to 312 yards reliably with the P4Xi and felt comfortable doing that. With the black hills 77gr TMK's of course. You will not find someone with time behind a Steiner P4Xi that will talk shit about the glass or how capable it is for a 1-4 in this world of 1-6's, 1-8's and soon to be more 1-10's I'm sure. Even with the new pricing, by that I mean a gouge lol, but even with that it's a lot of glass for the money.

Name:  Scalarworks 30mm mount.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  30.3 KB
    Name:  P4Xi weight.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  P4Xi in scalarworks.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  KAC snek 2.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  KAC snek 5.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  33.8 KB
    Name:  KAC snek 4.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  39.7 KB

As for 1-6's I would recommend the Leupold MK6 which is FFP and you can get a few different reticles. Clear glass, tight eyebox......same weight as the Steiner P4Xi......Very spendy.

1-8's. I love my Trijicon Accupower 1-8. I've seen them on sale for the Red Mil and green MIL I have the Red MIL.....for $800-850. Which is fuckin nuts for the quality of optic that it is......but she's all of her 25oz. I love mine and plan to buy at least 2 more for other projects. But I acknowledge it's not the best out there. But for even $900 it's a no brainer. FFP, MIL, precise adjustments, clear glass, 34mm tube (much preferred) and easy to use? Camman. It helped me snap off a .75" group at 100 yards with my HK MR556, with the Geissele trigger, in the Super precision mount. Also 77gr TMK Black Hills.

Name:  20180809_115923.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  42.5 KB
    Name:  20180809_115941.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by navyman8903; 05-25-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Would the sclarworks mount be considered the lightest reliable mount?

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    If you are happy with a 1-4 my vote goes Steiner. I had an h2 prior to switching to the Steiner, the dot is definitely daylight bright and the glass is very clear.

If you are talking over 1k, a kahles 1-6 or night force 1-8 would be my pick.
    I have:

1-4: Trijicon, Steiner (sold my NF)
    1-6: Leupold (2), Kahles, Swarovski (sold my Vortex Razor)
    1-8: Swarovski

I agree with the above statement; short of a war zone, if you want a 1-4, the Steiner P4Xi is a solid choice. For quality glass, as you go up in power, you add cost and weight

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Would the sclarworks mount be considered the lightest reliable mount?
    That’s my sense of things. I have Scalarworks mounts for MRO, Aimpoint Micro and RMR (Benelli M2). I plan on trying one for an LPVO.

Another vote for the Steiner. I was able to dial it in and regularly hit a full size steel "B/C" target at 535 yards this weekend using my 20" freefloat AR and 75gr Hornady's, spun the turret for a 12.5 moa come up, it made that possible for an old shaky person with bad eye sight.

The dot is bright, the glass is clear, it gathers light well for its size, and the 1/2 moa turrets are spinable and repeatable if you want to use them, which I do.

User Tag List