Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight LPVOs?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Lightweight LPVOs?

So one of the uppers I sent out for GB pinning has a 16" 416R SS barrel that is pretty reasonably accurate. Currently it has a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 1-4x in an ADM QD mount. It's a pretty decent scope - especially for what I paid ($400 shipped, with mount) - but I can tell that I will want to upgrade this eventually. Because the election isn't that far off, my gun funds between now and then will go to ammo and mags as long as they are still reasonably priced. That said I'd like to start doing my homework on what I might replace it with down the line. Let's call budget at around $1k but I could be convinced to go over too, especially if I delay purchase til after the election.

While the easier answer would be the new Razor, this rifle has a very lightweight rail system and is pretty handy despite the heavy barrel, so I am looking for something closer in weight to the Viper (~16oz). While everyone is moving on to 1-8 or higher mag, I would be OK with 1-4 as long as I didn't downgrade in glass quality or go up much in weight. High mag, of course, would be better. Durability/reliability is an important consideration as well. Also want a decent reticle that works on low and high end mag... really don't want a duplex.

So : what is out there that I should start saving my shekels for? I've looked into the Trijicon TR24, which seems like it might be a nice upgrade, but I've heard mixed things about the durability of some of Trijicon's LPVOs as well as their customer service. I don't know their lineup well enough to distinguish between the good and the bad Trijicon lpvos. I've been very satisfied with Vortex, but as noted their nicer options are pretty chonky. I've heard good things about the Burris XTR so that is on my radar. Don't know much about Meopta, Leupold, or SWFA offerings. Have heard the Nightforce NX line might be disappointing, glass-wise.

Any thoughts? I also imagine this market will change over the next ~6 months so I will be keeping my eye on new developments too.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-25-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So one of the uppers I sent out for GB pinning has a 16" 416R SS barrel that is pretty reasonably accurate. Currently it has a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 1-4x in an ADM QD mount. It's a pretty decent scope - especially for what I paid ($400 shipped, with mount) - but I can tell that I will want to upgrade this eventually. Because the election isn't that far off, my gun funds between now and then will go to ammo and mags as long as they are still reasonably priced. That said I'd like to start doing my homework on what I might replace it with down the line. Let's call budget at around $1k but I could be convinced to go over too, especially if I delay purchase til after the election.

While the easier answer would be the new Razor, this rifle has a very lightweight rail system and is pretty handy despite the heavy barrel, so I am looking for something closer in weight to the Viper (~16oz). While everyone is moving on to 1-8 or higher mag, I would be OK with 1-4 as long as I didn't downgrade in glass quality or go up much in weight. High mag, of course, would be better. Durability/reliability is an important consideration as well. Also want a decent reticle that works on low and high end mag... really don't want a duplex.

So : what is out there that I should start saving my shekels for? I've looked into the Trijicon TR24, which seems like it might be a nice upgrade, but I've heard mixed things about the durability of some of Trijicon's LPVOs as well as their customer service. I don't know their lineup well enough to distinguish between the good and the bad Trijicon lpvos. I've been very satisfied with Vortex, but as noted their nicer options are pretty chonky. I've heard good things about the Burris XTR so that is on my radar. Don't know much about Meopta, Leupold, or SWFA offerings. Have heard the Nightforce NX line might be disappointing, glass-wise.

Any thoughts? I also imagine this market will change over the next ~6 months so I will be keeping my eye on new developments too.
    For your price and weight requirements, I’d look at Leupold 5HD or 6HD. Leupold offers good value and are lighter than most competitors. Their 1-6 scopes weigh 13-14 oz. You don’t mention reticles or the primary use of this rifle, but there are many choices out there, including good availability of discontinued but useful Leupolds on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    For your price and weight requirements, I’d look at Leupold 5HD or 6HD. Leupold offers good value and are lighter than most competitors. Their 1-6 scopes weigh 13-14 oz. You don’t mention reticles or the primary use of this rifle, but there are many choices out there, including good availability of discontinued but useful Leupolds on the used market.
    I did look at Leupold - reticle and price were the biggest turn-offs for me. the 5HD seems to be about perfect for my budget/needs, but it seems like they're only offered in Duplex reticles. I don't exactly need a super busy reticle, but some kind of mil marking would be nice at least to estimate holdover past 100yd.

edit: Actually, the VX-6 might be basically exactly what I am lookin for.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017695950

Strong contender.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-25-2020 at 09:49 AM.

I did look at Leupold - reticle and price were the biggest turn-offs for me. the 5HD seems to be about perfect for my budget/needs, but it seems like they're only offered in Duplex reticles. I don't exactly need a super busy reticle, but some kind of mil marking would be nice at least to estimate holdover past 100yd.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868694998

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868695694

Very tempting. I won't be buying right now, but the VX6 will be on the list for sure.

Do you have a sense of how good the illumination is? one of my complaints about the PST 1-4 is the illumination isn't really daylight bright. Very happy with the illumination on the PST Gen II 1-6, would want something equivalent in brightness.

Very tempting. I won't be buying right now, but the VX6 will be on the list for sure.

Do you have a sense of how good the illumination is? one of my complaints about the PST 1-4 is the illumination isn't really daylight bright. Very happy with the illumination on the PST Gen II 1-6, would want something equivalent in brightness.
    I have a Firedot on my 5HD scope. It is bright on Max to see clearly in AZ midway light. It is small though, maybe 2 MOA. It is not quite as bright as my Vortex PSTII 1-6 set on its max brightness.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    Subscribed...

I’m on a similar “I’d like to get a good LPVO someday” path.
    I’ll be interested to see what you (we) learn.

FWIW, the PST 1-6 is Steve Fisher’s top pick at that price point. They come up fairly regularly in the ARFcom and M4C Equipment Exhanges for about $600.

I think I’ve seen Razor II-E’s for a bit over a grand.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    FWIW, the PST 1-6 is Steve Fisher’s top pick at that price point. They come up fairly regularly in the ARFcom and M4C Equipment Exhanges for about $600.

I think I’ve seen Razor II-E’s for a bit over a grand.
    I have a PST 1-6 on my other Recce and its an awesome scope. I would get a second if it wasn't so dang heavy. This isn't a problem on my other rifle which I basically resigned to being a pig, but the gun out for smithing is basically exactly as heavy as I'd wanted it to be.

For reference, here are the 2 rifles I am talking about:

Big boi:

Skinny boi:

I'll probably eventually ditch the big light on the 2nd rifle for something smaller and lighter, too.

User Tag List