Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Out of Battery Ignition, How Frequent?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I remember someone told me something to that effect when I was early in my USPSA shooting career and a very broke recent college grad. I had been picking up 9mm cartridges I found on the deck because "Free ammo" and someone on my squad reminded me that 1. plenty of folks shooting reloaded 9mm major and 2. it's on the deck for a reason. Even as a broke 21 y/o I recognized that my glock 17 was worth much more than $0.25. Haven't done it since.
    The guys who mentored me during my first USPSA matches shared the same advice with me.

I never understand why so many people yank the slide all the way back when unloading. Do they also yank a faucet wide open when they just need a trickle of water? Do they floor the accelerator until they reach highway speed?

What's wrong with slowly bringing the slide back so you don't have an out of battery detonation regardless of where your hand is?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I never understand why so many people yank the slide all the way back when unloading. Do they also yank a faucet wide open when they just need a trickle of water? Do they floor the accelerator until they reach highway speed?

What's wrong with slowly bringing the slide back so you don't have an out of battery detonation regardless of where your hand is?
    Habit from working malfunction drills. Also much easier to engage the slide lock for showing clear (don't have two arms blocking the view of the chamber).

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

On a Beretta 92 with an open slide, a live round probably gets out of ejection port pretty easily at any slide speed.

Getting a live round out of some other guns, such as a 1911, particularly one without an expanded ejection port does not always work at slow speed. High speed works better.

User Tag List