Thread: Week 373: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Week 373: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Week 373: The Two Second Standards Part 2

Results may be posted until June 22nd, 2020.

Designed by: Hardwired Tactical Shooting
    Range: Shooter's choice
    Target: B8 bull (black only) - download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Shooter's choice
    Rounds Fired: Varies

This week we'll continue The Two Second Standards developed by Hardwired Tactical Shooting. Last time we focused on the core aspects of the standards (presentation and shooting from ready and the holster at 3 and 5 yards.) This time we'll widen the scope of distance and task.

Here's an excerpt of one of nyeti's posts describing this drill:

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is an drill with no particular set of standards, but more like guidelines to establish an individual level of performance.

The idea is based on gunfights tending to be two second operations with one side winning and one losing inside that timeframe. Any longer and parties are tending to move and start new two second affairs from different positions. So, we set the timer for 2 seconds. Target....the black of a B8 bull. Anything shots outside of the black and the test is a fail. So how much work can you do at 100% accountability everytime in two seconds. Any range, any ready, from ready, from concealment, two hands, one hand, with a flashlight, stationary, moving, doesn't matter. We test everything on it. What you are testing is use of real world time and 100% accountability.
    You can read the rest of his post here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post495401

So, the time limit is two seconds and the target is a B8 bull (black only.) The shooter picks the distance and task, but whatever that is, it must be completed four times without any misses. You can present from the holster or ready. You can retrieve the gun from a table or case. You can use one hand or both. You can move or not. You can turn the lights down and/or use a flashlight. The possibilities are endless. You must shoot the chosen task a total of four times. Your score for each string is the number of hits in the black B8 bull. If you have any misses, your score for that string is zero. Overtime shots that HIT do not score any points but also do not result in a zero for the string - they just don't count for anything. If you complete it four times without any misses, you Pass. If you miss the black B8 bull, you Fail.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Distance and task chosen (draw, present from ready, strong hand only, with flashlight, etc.)
    Score on String 1
    Score on String 2
    Score on String 3
    Score on String 4
    Grand Total Score
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

5" m&p 2.0 w/ dawson's
    Dark Star Gear Orion w/ dcc clips set wide, phlster tuckstrut
    T shirt concealment

Task - sho draw from concealment @3 yards

1. 1.51 hit

Name:  20200529_153504.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  25.0 KB

2. 1.58 hit

Name:  20200529_153528.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  24.9 KB

3. 1.62 hit

Name:  20200529_153554.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  24.7 KB

4. 1.68 hit

Name:  20200529_153622.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  24.4 KB

4 hits
    Pass

I don't consider myself to have solid sho skills and thought a sho draw at 3 would take more time but it ended up being low hanging fruit.

Next i tried to do what is essentially hack heads(3 targets, 1 round each) but with b8's and this 2 second par rather than the normal 3 seconds but at 3 instead of 5 yards.

Hack heads on b8's at 3 yards, concealed

1. 1.87 - 2 outside the black
    2. 2.03 - clean
    3. 1.93 clean
    4. 1.86 clean

Fail (two misses and 1 ot shot)

Name:  20200529_154052.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  100.1 KB

While it was not a passing score, i feel like this showed a spot for improvement that is attainable. Within my skill set but not quite consistent enough to for 4 in a row on demand. Something to work on.

For my last attempt at the 2 second standards i wanted to do a concealed draw at 15 yards. I know that i can make the hit, but i was not sure if i could do it consistently to pass 4 times in a row.

15 yard concealed draw

1. 1.53 hit

Name:  20200529_154241.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  22.4 KB

2. 1.94 miss

Name:  20200529_154318.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  25.6 KB

3. 1.71 miss

Name:  20200529_154353.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  25.4 KB

4. 1.67 miss

Name:  20200529_154430.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  25.5 KB

Fail

Started out strong but then lost it. Like the last drill, i think i learned a bit more from what i couldn't do than the first set that fell easily within my skillset. I called the last miss outside the rings as i simultaneously pulled my attention from the front sight and milked the grip in a bad case of anticipation(pre ignition push).

I really enjoyed this and think I'll keep playing around with the b8 black under 2 and seeing what i can do within the time, or better yet what my current limitations are and where i can put effort into improving.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Nomad 9/gen 5 glock 19 upper with holosun 507c. From an enigma and a haven defense holster. Under a button down shirt.

First task was 1 shot draws at 10 yards. I did what four runs all in the 1.7x-1.8 range but when I checked the target I could only verify three hits. I couldn't convince myself of a double but also couldn't see any close misses near the b8 and, my golly, if I missed the whole silhouette....i can't fathom doing that based on the day's peformance but anything is possible. But regardless I ran another string for confirmation and low and behold I put one high. So 10 yard draws were a fail as I only confirmed 3/4 hits in the black under 2.

5 draws at 10, all under 2 seconds. A phantom round disappeared.

Next I decided to run the first version of the 2 second standards but SHO. Whatever I got in the first string I would then repeat 4 times.

3 yards from the ready - 3 hits under 2 seconds 4/4 successful

3 yards from the holster - 1 hit under 2 seconds 4/4 successful

5 yards from the ready - 2 hits under 2 seconds 4/4 successful

5 yards from the holster - 1 hit under 2 seconds 4/4 successful

Sho version of the 2 second standards part 1. Note the high miss is because I used the same b8 from the earlier attempt at 10 yard draws.

I really like the idea of using the window as the standard and seeing what tasks or shooting problems you can fit into it. That has nearly endless possibilities. I do this from time to time with various tasks but the part 1 with different hand positions or at extended distance are my preference.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List