Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 - 9mm vs 45 ACP

Site Supporter
    The lighter slide allows for a proper recoil spring to keep the timing; heavier slide requires a lighter spring to allow enough rearward travel. However the cycle time on the return trip slows down due to the lower spring rate. Too slow and then the timing is thrown off enough to jam things up. Or that’s the way I see the physics.

That said, I just checked my notes. Almost 3900 rnds on my Dan Wesson Valor 5in in 9mm. (3) malfunctions. No adjustments to anything; ejectors, extractors, magazines, springs. It will eat HSTs, Gold Dots, 115 and 124 ball. It would be very shocked to know how finicky and maintaining intensive it was supposed to be. I think I’ve cleaned it two times and a wipe down. All I do is feed it ammo and give it oil to drink. It’s by far reliable enough for me to bet my life on it.

My experience has me firmly in the camp that you CAN have a reliable 9mm 1911.

I have 1911 Commanders and 5”, both in .45 and 9mm in each size, and full steel only in full size. I have Colts, Rugers, a Springfield, and one Smith and Wesson. I honestly have NEVER had a problem with any of these pistols. They shoot fine for both me, and my wife. We plow rounds through these pistols without a bobble, so I really don’t see the big complication that others have reported. I have had 9mm magazines that sometimes don’t lock the slide back, but a well known gunsmith/competitive shooter/forum member told me that some brands are better than others in 9mm. I clean them every time I shoot, even if it’s just a single magazine.

I ran a Colt Competition in 9mm pretty hard to prepare for match at the end of last year and on the beginning of this Year (back when we we allowed outside) While it worked pretty well out the box I found a couple things made it work like I expect my guns to work.

Aftec Extractors, never tried one in a 45, but in 9mm and 40 guns they changed would not work for shit to runs like a raped ape.

Wiilson Metalform and Tripp mags all worked fantastically.

I need to run the same springs in 9mm 1911's as I do in 40's or close to. So 13-14lb springs. Lighter springs make the gun very soft shooting, but with my hands and my grip the slide won't close reliably with a lighter spring. Also progressive springs were a no go for me.

And of course , all the lube
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I’ve had 4 9mm 1911s, still have 2. (STI, S&W, Les Baer, and Cabot). They all ran 100% at the range or practice, but all have seen the occasional blip when run hard on the clock, a blip rarely seen on a specific built 9mm.

Putting a 9mm in a 1911 is like putting an STI engine in a 1970 Chevelle. Sure, it may have performance numbers better than the original engine, but it will take a whole lot of engineering to get it to work, and it still won’t work as it does when in a chassis designed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I have Colts, Rugers, a Springfield, and one Smith and Wesson. I honestly have NEVER had a problem with any of these pistols.
    My 9mm 1911 experience is limited to my two Rugers, a 4.25" LW and a 5" Target, and have just shot them with ETMs and not any screwing around. I have not tried to run them into the ground, but shot one or the other weekly for about 2-3 years. In that time frame I think each one of them failed to eject once, one with a factory bulk Winchester, the other with one of my reloads that I do in bulk without much vetting. I did change the recoil springs to what Wolff said was standard weight for 9mm, not because I had problems but just because they were so light it just seemed goofy.

I wonder a bit if maybe the cast slide might weigh a little less and might be better suited to 9mm use? Also I think Ruger can be trusted to maintain decent production process controls, and we never seem to read about them being a dumpster fire out of the box. If they would offer a CCO LW 9mm I would own a third one pretty quick.

So as 1911 enthusiasts, we read much online about that platform. It seems like you see postings of "I have a problem" a lot more than my 1911 runs great. And when solutions to a problem are offered we see it's the extractor, ejector, recoil spring, mag spring, a specific mag type (feed lips), as well as other problem areas. And it is great when others with a similar problem offer their solution for a particular problem.....and problem solved! My point is that geez.........why would anyone want to purchase a 1911, regardless of caliber when we read of these issues?

And we see where 1911s run great out of the box.......or not. My point is the say "thank you" to all who offer their life experience, good and bad, with the 1911. Thanks for the solutions offered. My latest 1911 is a DW A2 parkerized full-size is a year old. So far it has been 100% out of the box. But I know that you guys have my back if I start a thread, "I have a problem". Thanks to all for input in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    My 9mm 1911 experience is limited to my two Rugers, a 4.25" LW and a 5" Target, and have just shot them with ETMs and not any screwing around.....
    My experience with Ruger 1911's mirrors yours. Mine was in 45 and a Commander, but it had some nice features for the price and was very reliable. Like you, If they had a 9mm CCO model I'd jump on it. I'm even tempted by the Officer version they make (the recoil spring assembly looks intriguing).
    Last edited by timotab; 05-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Put me in the satisfied Ruger owner category. My 9mm LW Commander size and 10mm 5” guns both got front night sights from Novak’s, heavier recoil springs, and different grips. They’re both reliable and accurate.
    The 9mm is my EDC and the 10mm is my woods walking semiauto.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    In a world overflowing with CZ 75s in a myriad of variations who needs a 1911 in 9 mm?
    Well, way back when I started my love affair with the 1911 the CZs were still a forbidden commie thing. More than forty years later I still like em, and more and more I like the simplicity of primarily shooting and reloading 9mm. So for me it is more of a peanut butter and jelly thing than best 9mm platform kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by timotab View Post
    My experience with Ruger 1911's mirrors yours. Mine was in 45 and a Commander, but it had some nice features for the price and was very reliable. Like you, If they had a 9mm CCO model I'd jump on it. I'm even tempted by the Officer version.
    I got a LW 45 also, and I have not shot it as much but it is also dandy. My temptation on the Officer's Model would be to swap slides with my Commander (at least in the summer) but so far I have held off.

I have 911 type pistols in 9mm, .45ACP and .38 Super (All are Series 70 Gold Cups). For Defense I have 9mm Glock, .41 magnum,, .44 Magnum and .45 Super. My S&W 4506 in .45 Super is my favorite for size and knock down power.

Bob

User Tag List