Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 - 9mm vs 45 ACP

1911 - 9mm vs 45 ACP

Larry breaks down his thoughts on 9mm versus 45 ACP. He also gives some tips on buying and customizing your own 1911.

Larry's broken down alright.

Just kidding. I like Larry. He's an old 1911 guy and he had a big part in the design of the HK45. I have one and it seems like HK brought the 1911 into the 21st century.

My feeling is 9 mm is better suited to something other than a 1911, like maybe a G19 or P30. He talks about feed ramps, special magazines and extractors having problems with the small 9 mm rim . Big question in my mind... why would anyone sign up for that?
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-24-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

9mms can work but a 45 or 38 Super are just a lot more forgiving.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Big question in my mind... why would anyone sign up for that?
    Because a 9mm 1911 that runs and shoots accurately is a terrific handgun to shoot and carry, especially in the Lightweight Commander configuration.

I've gone down the 9mm 1911 road a few times and finally determined it's just not for me. I shoot the 45s better and they just work. And for a smaller cartridge, the 38 Super tends to run without much drama. I currently own eight Colts in 45 and 38 Super and none of them have ever malfunctioned. Of course a couple of them see a lot higher volume of rounds than the others, but even so they just run.

With the 9mm guns, even though I generally had good luck with them I always felt like I was one round away from a malfunction of some kind. The extractor and ejector have to be fussed over, and it takes time, money, and effort to determine which magazines and ammo work best in a particular gun. No thanks.

I didn't watch the video but may in the near future.

9mm 1911s can be built to run very reliably. ToddG's example and my experience with four of them prove that it can be done. Like all 1911s, no matter the caliber, they aren't all created equal, so only buy something with a good reputation.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Because a 9mm 1911 that runs and shoots accurately is a terrific handgun to shoot and carry, especially in the Lightweight Commander configuration.

I've gone down the 9mm 1911 road a few times and finally determined it's just not for me. I shoot the 45s better and they just work. And for a smaller cartridge, the 38 Super tends to run without much drama. I currently own eight Colts in 45 and 38 Super and none of them have ever malfunctioned. Of course a couple of them see a lot higher volume of rounds than the others, but even so they just run.

With the 9mm guns, even though I generally had good luck with them I always felt like I was one round away from a malfunction of some kind. The extractor and ejector have to be fussed over, and it takes time, money, and effort to determine which magazines and ammo work best in a particular gun. No thanks.
    I love my Colt super and I've treated it like a Glock that gets treated like a lawn mower. I have a conversion barrel to 9mm coming soon [I hope.. Brownells grrr..]. We'll see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    9mms can work but a 45 or 38 Super are just a lot more forgiving.
    This

A little while back I inquired about getting a 1911 in 9mm built by one of the most highly regarded custom smiths around. Yes a 9mm 1911 can work but the envelope for them to correctly function is a lot narrower then the 45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
    A .45acp is like a 9mm but for men.
    So you indentify as a.380 gender then.

When I bought my Colt 1911 9mm competition model, I had to change the ejector, tune the extractor a little, play with the recoil spring weight and made sure the mag springs were robust. Definitely a lot more work but it my fasting shooting gun. Too much maintenance for more than a fun gun for me.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
    A .45acp is like a 9mm but for men.
    This is a tech forum. Keep it technical.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    When I bought my Colt 1911 9mm competition model, I had to change the ejector, tune the extractor a little
    Was it bad/wrong from the factory or was it an ammo preference issue?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List