Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Storm Doors

Site Supporter

RFI: Storm Doors

Looking to add a storm door to the rear entrance of the house both for protection against weathering to the door and jam as well as an additional layer of security.

I've looked at Larson's line of Security Storm doors and they seem nice and well made to my untrained eye.

I wondered if anyone here may have gone down this path before and had any knowledge to share regarding makes/models to consider or avoid?

Not looking for a barred security door, but laminated glass or security screen. Most likely the later.

Any info would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I don’t know about everyone else but I would like a real security storm door. knob knob, dead bolt, glass and bug screen plus a metal screen or bars to keep a bad guy out

I have an Anderson on my front door that has the glass that pulls down and a screen pulls down at the same time so you have a 1/2 screen. It has the oiled handle and a deadbolt. I keep it locked all the time. I had a full glass with replacable screen before that. For looks the full glass is what most people have. However I prefer the pull down as its more convenient and has good air flow.
    Be sure to get the registration number off the frame BEFORE you install it and send in your registration as the rubber strip at the bottom will need to be replaced periodically.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Glass and screen
    Name:  9B8425EB-000D-43DF-BCD8-A43768FC5856.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  9D6F2552-84A3-41C9-8A98-537DA77C6C93.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  34.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I like the security of the Larson Platinum I've seen at Lowes Platinum Secure Glass but think we'd appreciate the screen of the SecurePro more.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I like the security of the Larson Platinum I've seen at Lowes Platinum Secure Glass but think we'd appreciate the screen of the SecurePro more.
    Have one in the front .. works great for my needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Have one in the front .. works great for my needs.
    Which do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Which do you have?
    LARSON Secure Elegance White
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Secu...75-in/50374604
    I had them install it 5 years ago ..

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I have an Anderson on my front door that has the glass that pulls down and a screen pulls down at the same time so you have a 1/2 screen. It has the oiled handle and a deadbolt. I keep it locked all the time. I had a full glass with replacable screen before that. For looks the full glass is what most people have. However I prefer the pull down as its more convenient and has good air flow.
    Be sure to get the registration number off the frame BEFORE you install it and send in your registration as the rubber strip at the bottom will need to be replaced periodically.
    I do handyman work and have installed a bunch of storm doors. For the most part, you get what you pay for. I agree with UNK that the self- contained half screen/half glass Anderson is the way to go if you want a simple switch from glass to screen. I had an Anderson door that must have gotten misaligned in the jig during assembly and the glass slider latches wouldn't stay engaged. It did take awhile, but Anderson sent me a replacement. Pretty good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    LARSON Secure Elegance White
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Secu...75-in/50374604
    I had them install it 5 years ago ..
    I dont think thats how people break into houses.

User Tag List