Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Member From New York

The Garand has a non-detachable magazine, anyway.

Renewing sucks--it's a pain in the ass even for me, and I think my collection is roughly half the size of yours--but it's better than a lot of states annual renewals with fees attached.

The En Bloc feeder clip is considered a Magazine here.

Bob

Hi Bob! Welcome here!!!
    I'm a very recently retired PO with more than 36 years service on Long Island... Now that I'm a Civilian in the eyes of the SAFE Act and other laws relating to gun ownership, I'm certainly NO fan, but,

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    The En Bloc feeder clip is considered a Magazine here.

Bob
    Where did you get that from? My research as an LEO in NY and information from my co-worker (who's a certified expert on 265 of the NYS Penal Law,) point to the NYS State Police division counsel advised early on that en blocs and stripper clips are not mags...

Additionally, tubular magazines are exempt from the round count restriction?

All feeding devices, including clips, belts, mags, and strips (other than .22 rimfire tubular magazines and curios and relics)...) are limited to ten round capacity.

Fortunately it doesn’t matter as it is only 8 rounds. This happened when I decided to register the Garand in Manhattan. Was always at my house in Sag Harbor. It was the officer at the Queens Firearms Department that told me. Also that over 10 capacity was fine in a tubular magazine if it was original. It is amazing how little each department seems to know. Same with the State Police. In Suffolk you buy a purchase voucher. You take it to the dealer and complete a deal. It is not on your permit at that point yet and you can travel with the voucher and pistol to the sheriffs office to have it added to your permit. In some other counties you have to have the gun added to your permit before you can pick up up. A Orange Countu bases State Police officer told me if he caught me with a handgun in my possession not listed on my permit, regardless of having a voucher, would arrest me.

Oh well.

Bob

Site Supporter
    Welcome. And thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Fortunately it doesn’t matter as it is only 8 rounds. This happened when I decided to register the Garand in Manhattan. Was always at my house in Sag Harbor. It was the officer at the Queens Firearms Department that told me. Also that over 10 capacity was fine in a tubular magazine if it was original. It is amazing how little each department seems to know. Same with the State Police. In Suffolk you buy a purchase voucher. You take it to the dealer and complete a deal. It is not on your permit at that point yet and you can travel with the voucher and pistol to the sheriffs office to have it added to your permit. In some other counties you have to have the gun added to your permit before you can pick up up. A Orange Countu bases State Police officer told me if he caught me with a handgun in my possession not listed on my permit, regardless of having a voucher, would arrest me.

Oh well.

Bob
    Literally, each county makes its own rules. Although personally, I would consider Orange County to be "Upper Manhattan" . I would also not trust the Queens guy--original has nothing to do with it. The only two exemptions are for .22-caliber rimfires, or a curio/relic. Which is interesting in the context of lever-actions.

As to the Garand, the problem is not capacity, it's the (incorrect) idea that the en-bloc loader counts as a magazine, making it a dreaded Assault Weapon if it has Evil Features. Given that the follower is contained in the rifle, I do not find that that holds water, as a magazine does not hold ammunition, it feeds ammunition, as this garbage piece of legislation itself notes by referring to magazines as ammunition feeding devices.

Welcome to P-F, all your threads are belong to us.

You are allowed 1 Point here in New York as I am sure you know. So a removable magazine is OK as long as there is no bayonet lug, no threaded barrel of flash supressor, no vertical forend and no thumbhole stock of full pistol grip. My National Match one never had any of those other parts.

I don't shoot it, so it almost never out of the gun room.

Bob

User Tag List