Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insuring Firearms

Insuring Firearms

I'll try not to make this story too long, but just for background info:

My Dad sold insurance for a good part of his life, as did his dad. When I was but a young teenager, my Grandfather passed and left a collection of shotguns to my younger brother and I. Nothing crazy like Perozzis, just some nice OU's like Winchester 101 Pidgeon Grades, and a Belgian A5, a total of 12 guns.

So my Father added a rider to his homeowners insurance policy to cover the guns, said they wouldn't be covered otherwise.

After I was done with all of my schooling and such, and got my first home, the guns came with me. My Father was still doing insurance and did my policy, with a rider for the guns also. .

Fast forward 20 years, I need to redo my insurance and my agent sent me the firearms rider to review and see if I wanted to rewrite with the new company.

Well 1/2 of my Grandad's guns are now gone-my brother took his share. Of course I've now amassed a collection of my own. Again nothing crazy, but there are some nice ones like a WC 1911, and a large number of regular Glocks, Smiths, SIG's and the like. Some AR's and hunting rifles.

So i'm trying to decide if I should insure all of my guns, some, or none.

I understand the benefits of coverage, but it feels a little weird insuring a Glock (and many other makes).

So to those with modest to large collections; What do you do?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    I've gotten the insurance that the NRA sells before, but currently I don't have a policy in place. I think I can claim up to $5,000 on my home owner's policy without having to list specific guns. Handing over a list of all the guns I own to anyone makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't have any particularly high dollar guns, but replacing just the three or four most valuable would max out my $5,000 coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I'll try not to make this story too long, but just for background info:

My Dad sold insurance for a good part of his life, as did his dad. When I was but a young teenager, my Grandfather passed and left a collection of shotguns to my younger brother and I. Nothing crazy like Perozzis, just some nice OU's like Winchester 101 Pidgeon Grades, and a Belgian A5, a total of 12 guns.

So my Father added a rider to his homeowners insurance policy to cover the guns, said they wouldn't be covered otherwise.

After I was done with all of my schooling and such, and got my first home, the guns came with me. My Father was still doing insurance and did my policy, with a rider for the guns also. .

Fast forward 20 years, I need to redo my insurance and my agent sent me the firearms rider to review and see if I wanted to rewrite with the new company.

Well 1/2 of my Grandad's guns are now gone-my brother took his share. Of course I've now amassed a collection of my own. Again nothing crazy, but there are some nice ones like a WC 1911, and a large number of regular Glocks, Smiths, SIG's and the like. Some AR's and hunting rifles.

So i'm trying to decide if I should insure all of my guns, some, or none.

I understand the benefits of coverage, but it feels a little weird insuring a Glock (and many other makes).

So to those with modest to large collections; What do you do?

Thanks
    https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...toric-firearms

I've used these guys for years. The policy is through Eastern Bank and underwritten by the Hanover insurance group. Don't need to itemize or provide serial numbers. Accessories such as scopes are covered. I pay $135 per year for $30k of coverage if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...toric-firearms

I've used these guys for years. The policy is through Eastern Bank and underwritten by the Hanover insurance group. Don't need to itemize or provide serial numbers. Accessories such as scopes are covered. I pay $135 per year for $30k of coverage if I remember correctly
    I also use Eastern Insurance. 167 USD a year for 50k USD coverage, including 5k USD for just ammo and 5k USD for reloading equipment, 100 USD deductible. I was told that my coverage not only included the typical firearms accessories (optics, WMLs, suppressors, etc.), but also a lot of the ancillary gear that's related to firearms, e.g., plate carriers, knives, mag pouches, etc. Like @shootist26, no itemized list was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I also use Eastern Insurance. 167 USD a year for 50k USD coverage, including 5k USD for just ammo and 5k USD for reloading equipment, 100 USD deductible. I was told that my coverage not only included the typical firearms accessories (optics, WMLs, suppressors, etc.), but also a lot of the ancillary gear that's related to firearms, e.g., plate carriers, knives, mag pouches, etc. Like @shootist26, no itemized list was needed.
    Thanks, I will have to check them out.

The idea of not having to create a list is nice. Not so much from a big brother standpoint for me, but hate to think of having to call my insurance agent every single time I either buy or sell a gun.

Thanks

I itemized the significant firearms (antiques, Machineguns, etc) and have them covered under their own $100k policy. The riff raff, Glocks, ARs, etc., I didn’t bother with.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I don’t have any expensive firearms and I live in an apartment but after talking to my insurance agent about it I decided to add more coverage which now covers everything and items in my car. It only added $40 to my yearly renters insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through a total loss house fire in 2007 and found out what it was like to deal with State Farm and the carrier for NRA Armscare. I cannot recommend the experience. I finally got what I thought was a fair settlement after 9+ months, but I want to deal with neither carrier again.

I subsequently switched my firearms insurance strategy after my claim was completed. I am with Core-Vens who writes policies for Travelers. I don't know what the claim experience will be like and hope to never find out, but the policy as written is very reasonable. I have a lot more records (photos of condition) in addition to model and serial numbers. If I had that before it would have been much easier under my old carrier, so whomever you go with, I recommend keeping a book and some pictures in some cloud based storage and probably an off site thumb drive at some relative's home.

And I did get fair market value for my Glocks finally....nothing for my magazines and holsters, etc.

Site Supporter
    I tried to bulk up through my home owner insurance company but they wanted 10% of the value of the guns every year and wanted me to drive 2 hours to get the guns inspected and appraised.

Fire or theft, it will be what it will be.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Insuring Firearms

I checked on this a while back. Rather than specifically insuring firearms, it was cheaper just to get an umbrella personal property rider (that’s probably not the correct terminology) on my homeowners insurance. I don’t have to list anything now, but if I submit a claim I’ll have to prove that I own(ed) everything I’m filing a claim for - not just firearms but jewelry, electronics, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List