Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Connecticut gun stores

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Newington sounds promising. I’ve shot at Chris’ Indoor Pit of Despair and Gunshop a few times.
    I shot there last year for the first time since I moved back into the area. It was a lot cleaner than it formerly was.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    There was one in Norwalk that was grimey and overpriced, don't remember the name. Had a small indoor range.
    I don't remember the name, either, but it was the range I shot at for my CCW application back in the day.

it sure was easier to get the signoff. No real training, one just had to show the ability to safely shoot a handgun. They had an AMT Hardballer to rent; I chose that. The range dude watched me load five rounds, shoot them, and when I rolled the target back, he said: "You're good to go. You've paid for the rest of that box [of ammo], have fun."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I went to Jojo's on a trip there a few years ago. Small store but great guys,and some very nice gunsmithing.
    When this virus shit abates, I may ask them to take a look at a Model 19 that has iffy carryup.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I don't remember the name, either, but it was the range I shot at for my CCW application back in the day.

it sure was easier to get the signoff. No real training, one just had to show the ability to safely shoot a handgun. They had an AMT Hardballer to rent; I chose that. The range dude watched me load five rounds, shoot them, and when I rolled the target back, he said: "You're good to go. You've paid for the rest of that box [of ammo], have fun."
    LOL, I had EXACTLY the same experience. About 10 years ago, my folks gave me money to take my younger brother to the range with his then-girlfriend for some kind of 1:2 pistol training. I figured I'd rent something and shoot it while I waited. Asked for some kind of 9mm HK.

Dude behind counter is like uhh ok what experience do you have. I mentioned that I shot IDPA or something. He says, "OK show me how you make this weapon safe." I drop the mag, lock back the slide, look in the chamber, put it on the counter. He hands me 4 boxes of overpriced 9mm and I take the gun and go shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    JoJo’s in Southington is my preferred FFL and gunsmith
    Thanks. Maybe I’ll dig out my misbehaving Interarms PPK and get it fixed one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    LOL, I had EXACTLY the same experience. About 10 years ago, my folks gave me money to take my younger brother to the range with his then-girlfriend for some kind of 1:2 pistol training. I figured I'd rent something and shoot it while I waited. Asked for some kind of 9mm HK.

Dude behind counter is like uhh ok what experience do you have. I mentioned that I shot IDPA or something. He says, "OK show me how you make this weapon safe." I drop the mag, lock back the slide, look in the chamber, put it on the counter. He hands me 4 boxes of overpriced 9mm and I take the gun and go shoot.
    I’m not sure what it’s called now, but in the late nineties, if it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was Scott Moss gun & tackle, right off Route 7? For a hot second they were an Orvis retailer. Around 2006 they were trying to turn into a private club range/public gun store, but Scott was gone by then and it had a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I’m not sure what it’s called now, but in the late nineties, if it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was Scott Moss gun & tackle, right off Route 7? For a hot second they were an Orvis retailer. Around 2006 they were trying to turn into a private club range/public gun store, but Scott was gone by then and it had a different name.
    That might be the place, actually.

Site Supporter
    Delta Arsenal in Wallingford is a handy FFL. They have a range, but I haven't used it so couldn't say.

I shot at the Blue Trail range or something similar on a course there once. Not sure how it works butt was a nice range.

Hartford Gun Club was also a nice range.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I shot at the Blue Trail range or something similar on a course there once. Not sure how it works butt was a nice range.

Hartford Gun Club was also a nice range.
    I think Blue Trail is mostly a range, they may have a pro shop. Their range fees are expensive but I believe they have one of the longer rifle ranges in CT.

Never tried HGC. I shot IDPA in Simsbury at Metacon, that was a fun group (even if IDPA is kind of stupid). I used to use the state shooting range that was in the woods, somewhere about 30-45min from Storrs. There' also an OK range in Danbury or Darien that is quasi state run too and not bad (for an east coast shooting range).

User Tag List