Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .300 "Blastout?"

Much of this is what has me starting down the 300BO slippery slope, 16" in 5.56 just seems like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. This first occurred to me when a friend was beside me shooting his 26" R700, and while neither one was hearing safe you didn't feel the blast when the bolt gun was fired. I will always have both, but 300BO seems like it might be better for the things short barrel guns are good for.

I have also had one lower setup with the YHM pull pins, sure is a simple, $18 way to make something fit in a common duffle bag.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Objectively - less gas escaping the muzzle, the quieter the weapon will be at the muzzle end. The less gas escaping the ejection port, the quieter the weapon will be.

I'm not an otologist so I can't say for sure what is safe. Let's just take the OSHA standard - https://oshwiki.eu/wiki/Noise#Acute_...ustic_shock.29

Apparently, 155db peak is enough for acute hearing loss that could be permanent.

Maybe some of our suppressor guys have ideas of what non-suppressed muzzle blasts are like @Hansohn Brothers @kedminster
    For 300 BLK subsonic on an 8" AR platform, we are looking at 160+db at muzzle and 155+db at ear. 5.56 on an AR platform will be 165+db at muzzle and same at ear (155+db). .308 on a bolt action is at 170+db at the muzzle. Adding a silencer (YHM Resonator K) will bring down the noise level to 137ish db at ear and 145db at the muzzle.

Here is a good video showing measurements.

All things equal, the 300BLK subs will be quieter than 9mm subs due to the smaller diameter bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    For 300 BLK subsonic on an 8" AR platform, we are looking at 160+db at muzzle and 155+db at ear.
    Just for giggles, do you have the db for supers out of the same set up?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Do you have any idea where to find numbers for a 16-in barrel .300 blk unsuppressed? Ideally, with comparison using same equipment to a 16-in barrel 5.56 unsuppressed?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Just for giggles, do you have the db for supers out of the same set up?
    Sure don't, but I imagine it would be closer to the 5.56mm numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Do you have any idea where to find numbers for a 16-in barrel .300 blk unsuppressed? Ideally, with comparison using same equipment to a 16-in barrel 5.56 unsuppressed?
    I'm sorry, we don't have a 16" 300 BLK AR style rifle, only 16" bolt actions.

...If .300 BLK...
    See if you can't get someone to make you a 16 inch pistol gas, Dissipater type barrel in 300 BLK. Use a BRT Covert Comp. Since you're using drop in handguards, an adjustable gas block will work.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    See if you can't get someone to make you a 16 inch pistol gas, Dissipater type barrel in 300 BLK. Use a BRT Covert Comp. Since you're using drop in handguards, an adjustable gas block will work.
    An AR height sight post would make for a shitty cheek weld on an scr fight light reciever.

The other option @OlongJohnson might consider since he wants a 16” barrel and would be limited to 10rd mags if traveling in a ban state would be an upper in 7.62x39 or 6.8 spc, although the latter would still be blastier all centerfire supersonic rifle cartridges fired indoors will be capable of causing permanent hearing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    An AR height sight post would make for a shitty cheek weld on an scr fight light receiver...
    Worse than the ultra tall AR optics mounts that are currently popular?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Already addressed the sight issue in post #4:

My iron sight solution for the SCR is a rail-height Pic rail front gas block (so it's fixed to the barrel) with CZ Scorpion sights.

But this Dissipator concept is interesting. Would love to set the rail-height Pic mount at mid length rather than carbine. Been searching for a little while and can't find anyone who's done it in .300 BLK so far. Sometimes, being first is cool. Usually, being first is a PITA. Dahmek, another rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My desire to avoid an adjustable on this build is partly for reliability; I'd rather not use it even if it could work.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List