Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hogue Doug Ritter RSK mk1-G2

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Gotcha. My son was telling me about a guy at work who was dissing the axis lock. I guess there is someone on youtube who smacks the spine of the knife on a hard surface which creates enough inertia to release the lock. So this guy my son works with goes to show him and he makes it work all right, the knife closes on his hand and he almost had to go get stitches.

Maybe he will graduate to smacking a VP9 with a hammer
    There may be a career awaiting him in the shotgun dropping industry. Because, inquiring minds want to know...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hogue Doug Ritter RSK mk1-G2

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The usual culprit is fidgeters and fidgeting. Some folks just can't resist the impulse to open and close knives all day. Never had that particular affliction.
    At a lab I ran while back, we had two expensive ‘accidents’ that damaged custom built equipment. The result was a sign that said:
    ATTENTION
    NO GESTURING NEAR SENSORS

I should have included a ban on fidgeting. Why do people do that?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    At a lab I ran while back, we had two expensive ‘accidents’ that damaged custom built equipment. The result was a sign that said:
    ATTENTION
    NO GESTURING NEAR SENSORS

I should have included a ban on fidgeting. Why do people do that?

"Beats me."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Been eyeballing those for a couple weeks now. Been resisting. This thread isn’t helping that. Looks to me like a great knife for the money. Also looks like something that should be able to get right in there and compete with the EDC kings like the Paramilitary 2, Manix 2, Griptillian, 940, etc. In addition to that, I’ve read a lot of people gush over the Ritter Griptillians, which are sadly no longer made. (I realize this is the same person behind the Ritter Grips.)

He also runs Knife Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice. I recently lost my Manix, so I may replace it with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Generally speaking avoid food prep with a folder with liners and deep crevices unless you're willing to disassemble it for thorough cleaning...... Or avoid any food contact beyond the blade.
    I've done a metric ton of food prep with Griptilians and a 940, and never had an issue. Like literally years of it. Imagine a knuckle-dragging single dude without any proper kitchen cutlery, and that's me. Veges, meat, cheese, condiments, you name it. I wash 'em using the same protocol we used to clean electric knives when I worked in a salmon processing plant - extremely hot water and a soapy brush. Get the knife so hot it's almost too hot to handle. I leave 'em half open on the counter to air dry.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I just can't trust the springs used in this type of lock.
    I've heard about spring failure on the knife forums, but my experience indicates it's not an issue. My BM Grips and 940 have years and years of wear on 'em without any issues. I've worn them in the ocean, clipped awib inside my board shorts while working out and running, and I've pretty much exposed them to all kinds of corrosive, nasty environments and the springs keep working. Maybe there was a bad batch of springs at one time, or maybe my cleaning protocol contributes to spring life, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I guess there is someone on youtube who smacks the spine of the knife on a hard surface which creates enough inertia to release the lock.
    I think every folder that might get thrust into an emergency role should be able to withstand a moderate spine whack. I don't go ape shit on mine, but I do give the spine a sharp rap on the workbench occassionally. The ones I've had fail are liner locks (no surprise there) and a very old Endura. It probably goes without saying, keep your fingers out of the way.

As always, mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-23-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I remember reading about a time when axis springs would occasionally break. I'm not a huge benchmade fan but if I recall correctly they had a bad batch of springs or something but they warrantied them and fixed everything.
    My info was purely anecdotal evidence as well. Read it on Bladeforums years ago, I think it was a bad batch of springs (again, years ago). People fidgeting with their knives thousands of times a day have contributed as well.
    Anyway, this Hogue is a fine knife and the only sad thing is that they are exclusive to Knifeworks and that makes obtaining them in Europe slightly complicated/expensive.
    Edit: just checked, Knifeworks has temporarily stopped international shipping due to Covid-19 complications.
    Last edited by javemtr; 05-24-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    My info was purely anecdotal evidence as well. Read it on Bladeforums years ago, I think it was a bad batch of springs (again, years ago). People fidgeting with their knives thousands of times a day have contributed as well.
    Anyway, this Hogue is a fine knife and the only sad thing is that they are exclusive to Knifeworks and that makes obtaining them in Europe slightly complicated/expensive.
    Edit: just checked, Knifeworks has temporarily stopped international shipping due to Covid-19 complications.
    PayPal someone. Have them buy it for you and then mail it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    PayPal someone. Have them buy it for you and then mail it to you.
    I'm currently trying to thin out and sell off parts of my folding knife collection, and you are not helping!!!

@newyork are the scales slightly slimmer than a BM Griptilian? The BM version has a subtle palm swell, but the photos up thread suggest your new knife does not. I would prefer to have a slightly thinner handle than the conventional BM, just to maximize pocket space.

User Tag List