Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hogue Doug Ritter RSK mk1-G2

I think Hogue makes a better version of this knife than Benchmade, especially since this guy is full G-10 handle and 20CV steel. Incredible bargain!
    I just can't trust the springs used in this type of lock. I think functionally Spyderco's ball bearing lock (like on the Manix 2) is superior.
    In case anyone is wondering: the Axis lock patent ran out recently, that's why we are seeing a number of companies come out with copies.

Mentioned that in the OP. Also Hogue is using Wolff springs in theirs vs the weaker Omni Benchmade uses.

You're right, I missed that part! I'd buy this over any Benchmade Axis knife available right now. There is a mini version available now as well, unfortunately the handle scales look a bit misplaced on that version, it's too busy. The full-size version looks better!

I've been eyeing the RSK for about a year, but always wanted a Mini with a sub 3" blade. It looks like he may be introducing one LINK

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    I think Hogue makes a better version of this knife than Benchmade, especially since this guy is full G-10 handle and 20CV steel. Incredible bargain!
    I just can't trust the springs used in this type of lock. I think functionally Spyderco's ball bearing lock (like on the Manix 2) is superior.
    In case anyone is wondering: the Axis lock patent ran out recently, that's why we are seeing a number of companies come out with copies.
    I've been using a Benchmade with an Axis lock for 17 years and have never had an issue with springs. Got any sources showing spring problems?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I remember reading about a time when axis springs would occasionally break. I'm not a huge benchmade fan but if I recall correctly they had a bad batch of springs or something but they warrantied them and fixed everything.

The axis mechanism uses two independent springs. it's my understanding it will function fine with just one spring.

One of the pluses of the design is if both springs were to fail and you were surviving in an Amazon jungle with a 3-inch pocket knife you could simply wedge a small piece of wood to hold the Lock bar in place.

So if one is inclined to avoid a benchmade due to the potential spring failure my guess is you would not feel comfortable carrying any firearm?

The mini has a 2.9” blade and is $20 cheaper at $139.99

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I've been eyeing the RSK for about a year, but always wanted a Mini with a sub 3" blade. It looks like he may be introducing one LINK

I've been using a Benchmade with an Axis lock for 17 years and have never had an issue with springs. Got any sources showing spring problems?
    The usual culprit is fidgeters and fidgeting. Some folks just can't resist the impulse to open and close knives all day. Never had that particular affliction.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Right! While I do like to open and close here and there throughout the day, some ppl do it non stop through the day and wonder why they have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The usual culprit is fidgeters and fidgeting. Some folks just can't resist the impulse to open and close knives all day. Never had that particular affliction.
    Gotcha. My son was telling me about a guy at work who was dissing the axis lock. I guess there is someone on youtube who smacks the spine of the knife on a hard surface which creates enough inertia to release the lock. So this guy my son works with goes to show him and he makes it work all right, the knife closes on his hand and he almost had to go get stitches.

Maybe he will graduate to smacking a VP9 with a hammer
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List