Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please advise me: jumping into a dot G45 vs G19

You already know what you can do with the 19 with irons. Put a dot on it and see what changes. That way you’re comparing apples to apples. Later you can trade up if you think it’s holding you back.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    You won't find out until you try yourself. Try a G45, then sell the loser. Glocks aren't hard to sell and don't lose much of their value unless you try to pimp them out too much.

I picked up a NIB G45 with 6 mags for a steal at the beginning of the Coronavirus panic, and realized I'd never shot a full size 9mm Glock frame before. The full size grip just feels worlds better than the G19 even though I only have medium sized hands with slender fingers. To me, there's something about how the curve of the back strap interface with my hand that locks it in and points more naturally. Now I get why those who say the 19 doesn't fit their hands lean towards the 17/26 combo instead. I can conceal the G45 well enough at 330, though the butt hits the back of any chair I sit in.

Site Supporter
    Based on your input I would go G45.

Having observed a couple hundred shooters running personally owned G19s and 17s over the last 10 years years I’ve seen most people shoot either the G19 grip or the G17 grip 10-15% better than the other. When in doubt they will normally shoot the bigger grip better as pinky engagement is an important part of the grip.

We just went through a similar process with regard to our new issued duty gun. We initially were going with the 15 round P320 compact but wound up issuing the P320 carry (x grip) based on the increased performance with the longer grip across a cross section of shooters.

I’d go for the Glock 45 if the grip on the 19 is an issue for you. I was pretty meh on the Glock 45 until a buddy let me go hands-on with his and wow it shoots good and balances quite nicely. I’m honestly looking at going for a Glock 45 MOS myself because I’m also getting dot-curious.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Hopefully ASH doesn't mind me piggybacking on his topic, because I've been mulling the same question but G45 vs G17. Is there any real advantage one way or the other for a RDS application? I carry a 17 just fine and haven't owned anything other than a 17 or 22. Local blue label shop has a G45 MOS in stock.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    You had a pair of 45s before you went on your austerity pilgrimage, IIRC, so should know whether you like that package already. I’d put the dot on the 19 and add an aluminum mag well, like you were talking about before, since that will be the fiscal easy button. See what you like about running a dot, save your shekels, add a 45 MOS (or a 45 or 19x lower to swap your current slide onto), and then see in direct comparison which you prefer. The things are legos, after all.

I’d not keep running the 19 as-is, though, if I were you. I don’t even have one, quite deliberately, because the grip length isn’t compatible with my hand width: I’d probably have a constant blood blister on my pinkie until I developed a callous like yours if I were using one regularly. I started with a 26 and stick with flush bottom magazines to carry and typically use a naked 19 length magazine for the spare in order to avoid pinching that happens with extensions and grip adapters. I’ve never had a pinch problem with the 19X, and may be the only person I know who kept the lip at the front of the magwell precisely to keep it that way. When I play with my 44, it doesn’t recoil enough to ship the floor plate and pinch, and I don’t usually practice speed reloads with it. I did try it and while the flared Gen 5 magwell is better than previous generations, I’m still not getting a 19 without an extension, so for my purposes I’ll stick with the 19x or a 45. My son’s slender hands use the 19 quite efficiently, though, so I can’t say I’d never buy one, just that I’d probably never be the one to use it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Hopefully ASH doesn't mind me piggybacking on his topic, because I've been mulling the same question but G45 vs G17. Is there any real advantage one way or the other for a RDS application? I carry a 17 just fine and haven't owned anything other than a 17 or 22. Local blue label shop has a G45 MOS in stock.
    I like the balance better on the G45/19x, but wouldn’t whine if I had a 17.

Or, you could get one of the new G47 MOS pistols, which paired with your 19 MOS, will give you many possible configurations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Or, you could get one of the new G47 MOS pistols, which paired with your 19 MOS, will give you many possible configurations.
    Legos!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

Here's my dilemma: I like the G19. I have a known-good (reliability and accuracy) sample on-hand that I can go put the dot on right now. The problem is the grip is just right at the ragged edge of what I can run comfortably. I have a pretty decent callous going on the pad of my pinky from the mag baseplate/frame gap. It also interferes with my reloads. At the same time, how important are reloads on a carry gun really?
    To me these don't sound like particularly strong reasons to change anything.

In an overall comparison of the two guns, I like my 19x as a shooting device a lot more than I like my 19s. That said, I've been contemplating having it cut down to the 19 length because, yet another time in my life, I am proving to myself that I can't conceal a full-sized Glock grip.

As somebody said above, this would be a hugely personal thing but, if one looks back at the cumulative past experiences, the 19 still remains the best "do it all" gun. You could try to alleviate the length concern with a bolt-on magwell, although I myself ended up taking it off.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is there any real advantage one way or the other for a RDS application? I carry a 17 just fine and haven't owned anything other than a 17 or 22. Local blue label shop has a G45 MOS in stock.

If I could carry a 17 just fine, the 19x/45 would've been nothing more than a curiosity. To me 19x works notably better in an AIWB position though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List