Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please advise me: jumping into a dot G45 vs G19

Please advise me: jumping into a dot G45 vs G19

I'm still really trying to stay mostly in the simplified and responsible place with things right now (young kids, paying off debt, taking kids to Disney, etc being a higher priority than piles of gear). I sold a pile of spare gear and put together my "The ONE" (rev 2, lol ) iteration of a carbine. You can see it in the 10.3-12. whatever thread in the rifle forum.

So for pistols I have a single G19. It's a Gen 5 MOS gun with Ameriglo HD-type tritium sights. However, I'm now convinced that an RMR is the way to go. From messing with others (mostly @karmapolice 's) guns with dots, I'm convinced it's a force multiplier, mostly because you can see your holds better at distance. I can shoot "good enough" out to 25yds with irons (mid-high 90's for a 25yd B8 on-demand). But, a dot on the gun turns it into a 50 yd small target and 100yd silhouette gun. (Can we say PDW?) I've already got a NIB Type 2 RMR sitting in the safe with a FCD MOS plate.

Here's my dilemma: I like the G19. I have a known-good (reliability and accuracy) sample on-hand that I can go put the dot on right now. The problem is the grip is just right at the ragged edge of what I can run comfortably. I have a pretty decent callous going on the pad of my pinky from the mag baseplate/frame gap. It also interferes with my reloads. At the same time, how important are reloads on a carry gun really?

The other option would be to sell the G19 and buy a G45 MOS. Gets me the full-size frame and eliminates the grip and reload issues. In fact, it speeds up my draw because I can get away with a little more slop on a full-size grip compared to the G19. I have thousands of rounds on the G17 and it's like riding a bike picking up a full-size gun again. The obvious downside is the less concealability of the larger grip. I'm just not sure if it's enough to matter.

I know the easy answer is "just buy a G45 for the RMR and keep the G19 with irons for carry." Yeah I know, but that responsibility thing again...at least for the next couple years.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Last edited by ASH556; 05-22-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Run the RMR (that you already have) on the g19.5 (that you already have) and see what you don't like about the combo, before entertaining spending money on a new pistol. Also, in my experience, there's no real room for "slop" when acquiring the grip on a dot pistol.

Well, I have smallish hands, so there's that.

But, I've had a G45 and now have two G19.5s. The G45's only benefit I could see is if, as you indicated, the G19's grip is a problem. But if money is tight, I'd say look at the loss you'd take swapping a perfectly good G19.5 for that extra bit of grip. I don't know of there are any magazine base plates that would mostly fix your problem; perhaps that's a possibility.

If I were starting out with a red dot, I'd be focusing (sorry, no pun intended) on making sure I came to grips (OK, it's been a long day) with it. You shoot the 19 well. If the dot works out for you, get the G45 MOS later, swap the dot over, and keep the G19 with irons.

Of course, there's the question of whether you'll want suppressor height irons on whichever gun you put the dot on.

Good luck!

Would buying a g45 frame and using your existing slide be an option? Then you could have both options and use what works best for you.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/produ...g17-19-19x-34/

They are out of stock now, but I had signed up for notifications and got them a few times so they do get them occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just did exactly what you’re talking about and since I was starting clean-sheet, got a G45.

I’d say given your situation with a known reliable 19 I’d put a SLR Rifleworks magwell and a dot on the 19 and go to town.
    P320 - a whole lot of mehh topped off with a "don't drop it" cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I just did exactly what you’re talking about and since I was starting clean-sheet, got a G45.

I’d say given your situation with a known reliable 19 I’d put a SLR Rifleworks magwell and a dot on the 19 and go to town.
    1+ to this. If you shoot the 19 well and it’s reliable the small pinky issue may be fixed with a low pro mag well. I have a MagPul on mine and it’s very unobtrusive. There are some other low profile units out there that will do well for CCW.

I have 3000 or so rounds on my duty G45 since December.

All my times are significantly faster and my groups are tighter. I never carry my g19 anymore.

Name:  4244EADA-41B4-475D-B7E9-E86C4518F78F.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  89E20245-F83A-4E97-ADE6-94D2D1864A07.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  39A4C951-1AC5-4F49-8365-424DFB4A7B37.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  41.5 KB

I scoffed, whined, and moaned when they issued it to me. I’ve since shut up.

A personal MOS version is on my radar.

Name:  82A9FE5C-E71E-4695-918E-4AEA0990DFAB.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  35.3 KB

It’ll run high 90s all day. It’s out shooting my P320 but just barely.

Name:  371A5C2E-FBC9-4718-B108-8A5CA9215C76.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  63.8 KB

I went from concealed drawstroke first shot hits in the 1.5 range to the 1.15 range pretty fast. Sure, the timer and dry work was most of it but some of it was that g45 is just so downright gunfighter.

And I didn’t want it and probably wouldn’t have ever bought one.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 05-22-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Pics, baby.

The problem with a question like this is that there are too many personal variables, so the answer to the OP’s question would be, “it depends”.

I have large hands with extra long fingers. When dry firing my G45, it feels slightly better in the hand than my G19.5.

When shooting rounds through both, I can lock down the grip on my G19 just slightly better than I can with my G45. Which causes me to shoot my 19 slightly better than my 45.

For me, there’s a noticeable difference in concealability with the G19 winning.

Different people with different body shapes could have a different answer.

I get why you’re consolidating down to a rifle and a pistol. And picking one Glock MOS pistol with an RMR isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard this week. Which of the two guns? For me, I’d go with the 19. For you...?

From a purely pragmatic point of view, you already own the Glock 19 MOS....

Do you have a chance to shoot both a 19 and a 45 side by side? And maybe wear each one in your preferred holster to see just how much difference in concealability there is between the two?

Try an X Grip Adapter and a G17/45 magazine to lengthen the grip and try shooting it. If you end up shooting it better, and it conceals okay, then make the switch. Or just carry it and keep the G19 smaller platform on tap. $16 is a pretty cheap way to find out the answer.

I do think that getting a second pistol eventually makes a lot of sense. Start saving $5 or $10 per week to get a second pistol. In a year or two you'll have enough.

Most, if not all mag wells, for the 19-sized frames, have a rounded-butt profile, as do the X-Grip magazine sleeves. This is going to result in different dynamics than an actual G45 or G17 frame. A G19 and a G17, at least the Gen4 models, do not even point quite the same, in my hands. There is plenty of real estate for my skinny fingers on the front strap of a G19, but there is no substitute for the way the way the lower rear corner of a G17/G45 grip frame braces against the “heel bone” area of my long hands.

Acquiring the ideal frame, later, and installing your G19 upper unit, seems to be a reasonable financial move, if a complete weapon is deemed too costly.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List