Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 9mm loads

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    This is a good call

I would definitely prefer CFE-P over Unique, though - Unique is fairly dirty, and its big flakes don't always meter well through powder measures, leading to larger charge weight variation than a lot of other powders, and as a result, significantly higher standard deviation. (In my experience with a Hornady measure, Unique is +/- 0.2 grains or so, where something like N320, Titegroup, or CFE-P will be more like +/- 0.05 or +/- 0.1 grains.)
    I remember that from the old days, Unique was extra sooty with LSWCs, and doesn't really meter that well. Plus, FINDING any Unique (or small pistol primers) is like finding the winning Powerball ticket nowadays...

Sport Pistol is very close to N320, easier to source and less expensive. I found SP loads to be .1 to .2 grain less than N320 loads, but that's on the lower end of the charge scale. Both can be dirty using soft loads, but clean up easily.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, due to the ammo shortage and rising prices I’ve finally decided to get off my bum and get my reloading setup put together and going. I typically shoot 124gr Speer Lawman for practice and USPSA Production.

I’ve got a handful of CCI primers, 1lb of HP-38, and about 10,000 pieces of processed 9mm brass. I also just ordered a handful of 125gr RN bullets from The Blue Bullets. How much powder should I be using and at which OAL to get around 136 PF?
    4.2 grains is what I used to use with 124 Xtremes or Bayous. 231 is a substitute for HP38 if you need options. I remember experimenting with 4.0 of the same powder but I think it was a little too soft if I remember correctly.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

3.7 BE-86
    Win spp
    Bayou 147 coated RN
    1.130 oal
    makes pf

Site Supporter
    I didn't realize that my supply was as low as it was. When I ran out my normal supplier as of late is 4+ weeks out. I checked several places but most are out of stock. I found acme was out but contacted them and they asked me to check back the next day. The next day inventory was there. The next day my order shipped and I'll have them Tuesday.

When my order arrives I'll be loading 124 coated bullets over 4.0 grains of titegroup. All of my guns like it. I may try some with 4.2 just to see.

Yeah stuff's scarce. I prefer 124s, but only thing I could find a week ago was Everglades 115gr FMJ, got 500.

Now just need more primers! Had to load 70 of 'em with rifle primers I had on hand.

They all went bang yesterday out of a G19.

Site Supporter
    Name:  89ACE219-C6E9-4C9C-A33A-68F6ADF0B0BF.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  35.8 KB
    Hot weather kitchen table 9mm reloading setup.
    Shed where bench tools are is simply too hot.
    124 grain FMJFP bullet over six grains of Power Pistol.
    Shoot well through my new G17 and 19 gen 5.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 07-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I didn't realize that my supply was as low as it was. When I ran out my normal supplier as of late is 4+ weeks out. I checked several places but most are out of stock. I found acme was out but contacted them and they asked me to check back the next day. The next day inventory was there. The next day my order shipped and I'll have them Tuesday.

When my order arrives I'll be loading 124 coated bullets over 4.0 grains of titegroup. All of my guns like it. I may try some with 4.2 just to see.
    I've got around 3k .355 bullets and a crap ton of various pistol and shotgun powders that can be used from my estate sale buy last fall. Probably 1.5 K .40 bullets and maybe 1K of .45 ball projectiles. Coffee cans full of cases and my gun club pistol bays are covered in spent brass. I picked up about five pounds last weekend.
    I am down to about 4K small pistol primers so am starting to get a little nervous.
    Resolve never to get low again after the ammo/component drought several years ago.

For 147s, I load:

Brazos 147gr coated FP
    3.4gr Titegroup
    CCI/WIN/REM SPP
    Range brass
    1.13" COAL

This gives approx. 925fps from my G19. I got similar results with Bayou 147gr coated FP and the COAL at 1.135". Either load yields 2-3" groups for me from a G19 at 25yds. Recoil is a bit softer than HSTs, POI is close but not spot on (tends to be about 2-3" right - noticable with my RDS). Due to the POI shift, my practice gun is sighted in for these instead of HSTs.

Working up a new load using Barry's 147 Hybrid Hollow Point.
    Name:  20200914_180753.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  37.6 KB

I prefer to work with a load that performs well in all my pistols, not just a select few.

The challenge is created by my P2000sk which has a short throat. Combine this with a 147gr HP, a slow, bulky powder such as Unique, and over all length quickly becomes a concearn.

An OAL of 1.085 is still a bit long for this profile, with that (sk) gun.

Initial, functioning load was as follows:

HK P2000
    Range brass
    Berry's 147gr HHP
    1.085 oal
    4.2gr Unique
    857 avg vel.

Since velocity, and pressure looked good, I feel comfortable upping the charge and driving it faster.

Some gratuitous, completely non scientific milk jug expansion results.

Bullet settled in the 3rd jug each time.

Name:  20200916_123556.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  20200916_123539.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  35.8 KB

Next batch will likely go through the P30v1 SD / USP9c v7 SD, as they are really the intended hosts for this round. I do have a supply of Winchester 231 that is a bit more energy dense, if need be.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List