Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm loads

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Presuming that 3.2 grain load gives good accuracy, it looks like a winner. 132 PF is enough "cushion" for the chrono stage that I'd be comfortable, presumably it's quite soft shooting, and 6.7 SD is nice and consistent.
    I haven't tarted doing formal accuracy testing but the 3.2-2.4 seemed to be the sweet spot. I was able to keep everything in the black on a B-8 center at 15yards without trying very hard. Not winning any bullseye competitions by any means but I figured why not take a few preliminary groups while chronographing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post

Velocity measured via magnetospeed V3
    I’m assuming that you are using the Magnetospeed rail adapter to attach to your X5. How did you get it to work? I’ve tried every sensitivity setting and either gotten no record or a sensor crossing error.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I’m assuming that you are using the Magnetospeed rail adapter to attach to your X5. How did you get it to work? I’ve tried every sensitivity setting and either gotten no record or a sensor crossing error.
    I had the same problem with the Magnetospeed adapter. That thing is worthless. I got a mkmachining adapter and got it to work at sensitivity setting 5. The bayonet has to be very close to the bore path, like less than a quarter inch. I’ll post a pic at some point to show how I set it up.

Injust realized I have a typo above, meant to type 3.2-3.4

Off-topic, but the LabRadar is awesome. It was an expensive gift to myself back when I drove school buses, but I reasoned (correctly) that it saved me a lot of my precious shooting time. As great as it is to set up on a rifle range you're sharing, it's absolutely nuts how useful it is when working with pistol rounds. You don't have to carefully aim or worry about lighting conditions, just shoot normally. Now, granted, you can whack four or five regular chronographs for the price of one LabRadar, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Off-topic, but the LabRadar is awesome. It was an expensive gift to myself back when I drove school buses, but I reasoned (correctly) that it saved me a lot of my precious shooting time. As great as it is to set up on a rifle range you're sharing, it's absolutely nuts how useful it is when working with pistol rounds. You don't have to carefully aim or worry about lighting conditions, just shoot normally. Now, granted, you can whack four or five regular chronographs for the price of one LabRadar, but still...
    I’m really tempted to get a LabRadar. Is it really just set it up and go for pistol?

I really like the good old tried & true Stephen A. Camp load of 6.0 gr Unique under a Hornady 124gr XTP at 1.11 OAL. Great all purpose round at 1245+ fps in most 4" - "5 barrels

It's been real accurate from my pistols. I keep some loaded up for SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I really like the good old tried & true Stephen A. Camp load of 6.0 gr Unique under a Hornady 124gr XTP at 1.11 OAL. Great all purpose round at 1245+ fps in most 4" - "5 barrels

It's been real accurate from my pistols. I keep some loaded up for SHTF.
    I've found XTPs to be quite accurate as well, but IMO they're too expensive to keep a stock of for range/match use.

Just for any newbie reloaders who may read this thread, I feel compelled to mention that 6.0 grains of Unique under a 124 grain bullet is a fairly spicy 9mm load. I used to use 124 grain Montana Gold JHPs (very similar bullet profile to XTPs) with Unique for USPSA, and out of a 4" barrel (Walther P99), 4.7 grains was enough to make ~130 PF. A 124 grain bullet at 1245 FPS is ~154 PF, which is unnecessarily hot for most uses, and will definitely result in higher felt recoil/slower follow-up shots. Also, not all pistols will be able to take an XTP at 1.11 OAL (the P99 I mentioned needed XTPs and MG JHPs loaded to 1.075" in order to pass the plunk test).

Unless you have a specific need for that much velocity, I would recommend dialing it back a bit, as it'll be much more pleasant to shoot. I went through 500 115 grain XTPs once because I got them for just the price of shipping due to having bought a Hornady press, and the load I settled on with those bullets was 5.4 grains of Unique at 1.075" OAL. A different powder would probably also be a good idea - Unique works for just about everything, but the big flakes make for inconsistent powder charges, leading to high extreme spread and high standard deviation.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I've found XTPs to be quite accurate as well, but IMO they're too expensive to keep a stock of for range/match use.

Just for any newbie reloaders who may read this thread, I feel compelled to mention that 6.0 grains of Unique under a 124 grain bullet is a fairly spicy 9mm load. I used to use 124 grain Montana Gold JHPs (very similar bullet profile to XTPs) with Unique for USPSA, and out of a 4" barrel (Walther P99), 4.7 grains was enough to make ~130 PF. A 124 grain bullet at 1245 FPS is ~154 PF, which is unnecessarily hot for most uses, and will definitely result in higher felt recoil/slower follow-up shots. Also, not all pistols will be able to take an XTP at 1.11 OAL (the P99 I mentioned needed XTPs and MG JHPs loaded to 1.075" in order to pass the plunk test).

Unless you have a specific need for that much velocity, I would recommend dialing it back a bit, as it'll be much more pleasant to shoot. I went through 500 115 grain XTPs once because I got them for just the price of shipping due to having bought a Hornady press, and the load I settled on with those bullets was 5.4 grains of Unique at 1.075" OAL. A different powder would probably also be a good idea - Unique works for just about everything, but the big flakes make for inconsistent powder charges, leading to high extreme spread and high standard deviation.
    Yes, this is not a good load for your progressive high-volume press, Nor for a practice or competition round. That’s not what I had in mind when I said it’s a good general purpose load. I guess I should’ve been more precise. I think it makes a real good General purpose load for self-defense, woods, hunting, STF and those types of applications. I’ve shot quite a few of these in my Glock’s and I don’t see where the the recoil is any worse than the Speer 124 grain gold dot +P at 1220 FPS or so. YMMV. I actually use my single station press and trickle/weigh each charge using my Hornady lock and load auto dispenser when loading this round.

I should also mention that you should always work up to this load
    or any other for that matter. That said, there has been a lot written about this load, and it is generally well regarded. You can Google it to find out more.
    Last edited by 4given; 10-25-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I’m really tempted to get a LabRadar. Is it really just set it up and go for pistol?
    Presuming you have a tripod tall enough for your shoulder--yeah. I got it for rifle, but I've found it to be far more meaningful for pistol. At a certain point, you can outrun the thing, but I got got 100% capture rates at maybe .6- or .7-second splits (I wasn't running a timer during this). I chronographed 50 rounds, 5 strings of 10 rounds each, in ten or fifteen minutes. Note also that I'm using the doppler trigger at maximum sensitivity, and my range was admittedly empty that day. It will also happily read bullet velocities through cardboard target backers. I would place the following caveats on it:

*Check your phone compatibility. I think I would be less-jazzed about it if I couldn't use the app and had to control the thing myself. Very awkward with how my club's rifle range is set up. And the app is very much just a remote control--you can't label shot strings (although they are date and time-stamped).
    *If your pistol-shooting locale is very windy, you may be less-jazzed about it. It's basically a somewhat fragile sail. I had a kinda budget tripod lying around. I may yet upgrade to a BOG or something.
    *Get a USB rechargeable battery off Amazon to go with it. The damn things are just useful as hell anyway. In think I paid $40ish for a 36,000maH battery. Charges up the phone a bunch of times, will run the LabRady on the least power-conservative settings until the sun collapses. If you're determined to run it off conventional batteries, it's gonna eat a package of them in a single session unless you dial the performance way back.
    *It will inspire a ton of interest, jealousy, and general old-guy-hate. I can't run into somebody else while using it without getting asked what it is and how much I paid for it, and then getting told how it's not any better than a Caldwell and I'm a shitty shooter and worse reloader.

Name:  IMG_0477[1].jpg
Views: 499
Size:  28.8 KB

User Tag List