Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove FaceBook tracking strings

How to remove FaceBook tracking strings

Anything starting with the "?" and followed by "fbclid" and then a seemingly random string of text can be stripped off of the link. Strip off everything beginning with the "?". See below.

With tracking string:
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/economics-ammunition/374730?fbclid=IwAR33LUzNvC__tD5skk8giwUjQfdiGTgUh2 2JD_xQS4IV5jS4Li4JGysX2aQ

Cleaned up:
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/economics-ammunition/374730

Clean, working link:
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...unition/374730
    #RESIST

A question from the clueless: What's a Facebook tracking string, and why would it show up on a non-FB link like a G&A page?

Presume this is something we should be looking for and zapping when posting links here going forward?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    A question from the clueless: What's a Facebook tracking string, and why would it show up on a non-FB link like a G&A page?

Presume this is something we should be looking for and zapping when posting links here going forward?
    It is a way for FB to track clicks, who clicks, where it was clicked, and where it originated from. It showed up on the G&A link because someone shared it on FB, therefore the link had the FB tracking string automatically appended to the end of the link. Yes, remove them.
    #RESIST

Another way to deal with dastardly sites is via apps / extensions like uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. I use them on Chromebook with excellent results.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Firefox has a plugin that keeps Facebook in its place (although I don’t fully trust Mozilla).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Another way to deal with dastardly sites is via apps / extensions like ...Privacy Badger. I use them on Chromebook with excellent results.

Thanks for that one, hadn't known about it.
    (I like badgers; they're fierce. )
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Thanks, @LittleLebowski. Fuck facebook.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Firefox has a plugin that keeps Facebook in its place (although I don’t fully trust Mozilla).
    Containers. They've released additional ones as well and you can open any link in them.

As for the tracking URLs, I frequently strip the Amazon affiliate ones from sites I don't want to "reward" when I follow an Amazon link. Mostly it's those fake review sites or the EDC gear ones that are nothing but funnels for Amazon purchases.

I don't do that with P-F Amazon links.

Chris

Another way to deal with dastardly sites is via apps / extensions like uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. I use them on Chromebook with excellent results.
    +1 for privacy badger w/Chromebook

Do you install one of these two sites or both of them at the same time? Remember, I'm an old shooter and not a computer guy per se.

User Tag List