Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with identification

Help with identification

I don’t have this in my possession, so I can’t examine it. It’s chambered in .38 S&W. Victory model, maybe? Any help is appreciated. @Dagga Boy @RevolverRob @Trooper224 @Stephanie B

Last edited by TC215; 05-26-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I don’t have this in my possession, so I can’t examine it. It’s chambered in .38 S&W. Victory model, maybe? Any help is appreciated. @Dagga Boy @RevolverRob @Trooper224 @Stephanie B

Off hand I'd say your guess is likely correct. Given the chamdering, a Victory model, perhaps originally made for British export. Later modified with a cut down barrel, new front sight and nickel finish.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I’d say @Trooper224 nailed it. Definitely a cut barrel and non-standard sight. Grips look like some thing from the 60s, some kind of plastic Jay Scott or something.

Thank you both, I appreciate the help.

Sawing off the barrel, even so short as to lose the front latch, and nickel plating were common modifications to British Service Revolvers to make them more salable in the Colonies during the private eye craze of the 1950s and 1960s.

Often reamed to accept .38 Special and more often seen with plastic "stag" than wood-ish grips.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Off hand I'd say your guess is likely correct. Given the chamdering, a Victory model, perhaps originally made for British export. Later modified with a cut down barrel, new front sight and nickel finish.
    I concur.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sawing off the barrel, even so short as to lose the front latch, and nickel plating were common modifications to British Service Revolvers to make them more salable in the Colonies during the private eye craze of the 1950s and 1960s.

Often reamed to accept .38 Special and more often seen with plastic "stag" than wood-ish grips.
    Yes, but don’t .38 S&W have a .361” bore? Those modified Victory guns have a rep for inaccuracy when reamed to .38 Special.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nominally, yes, but I haven't seen measurements to be sure.
    But if the surplus brokers didn't care about 5 thou in the chambers, what would make them consider 3 thou in the barrel?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

They are not safe for much shooting. I have a couple as “examples”. One is a conversion that is shootable because the front latch is functioning. The short ones like that with only the rear locked and a not exactly right caliber conversion can be a disaster.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    If it doesn’t have a ball detent lock in the yoke a gunsmith can add one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List