Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broward County SD

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I spent some years working as a front-line supervisor in a factory that was unionized. It was obvious, to me, that one of the best tools available to me was a good knowledge of the union contract, especially the sections that pertained to assigning people to tasks, handing out overtime and disciplining people.

It was also astonishing how many supervisors and higher-level managers didn't have that knowledge, including people in HR.

From what I'm reading here, things aren't much different in managing police departments.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I spent some years working as a front-line supervisor in a factory that was unionized. It was obvious, to me, that one of the best tools available to me was a good knowledge of the union contract, especially the sections that pertained to assigning people to tasks, handing out overtime and disciplining people.

It was also astonishing how many supervisors and higher-level managers didn't have that knowledge, including people in HR.

From what I'm reading here, things aren't much different in managing police departments.
    From the quotes I've seen from the decision, posted on another site, the contract required BSO to complete the investigation within 180 days and they failed to do so. The arbitrator found in favor of the Sergeant due to BSO's failure to follow the rules. IME, people love "technicalities" when the ball bounces in their favor, and detest them when a miscarriage of "justice" occurs.

The Sergeant in question will still be known as the guy who stood by while children were being murdered. I will not comment further.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

That sort of knowledge isn't valued. It's not sexy, it's not trendy, and it's not going to get you noticed and moved into appointed ranks. It's something for somebody else to know.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm hesitant to comment, being someone who will never put my life on the line, most likely. I can't judge another's fear. Though I can say my LEO brother and retired LEO dad do NOT have kind things to say.

From a purely lawyer level, this is definitely a decision arising from improper procedure. Sorta how the most slam-dunk DUI in the world can get kicked by the Court if you forget implied consent.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I'd have that POS scrubbing shitters on late nights at the auto pound.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Sometimes it’s cheaper to assign somebody to an empty room and give them something appropriate for their skill. In this case That means give them nothing to do. Just let them stew.

Some folks aren't cut out for the work...but don't find out until it's too late. I don't know how to mandate bravery, or test for its absence.

I don't think the guy was evil. I think he was lacking the right stuff, for lack of a better term. Maybe he should have realized it and mustered out. Maybe the pay was too good.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some folks aren't cut out for the work...but don't find out until it's too late. I don't know how to mandate bravery, or test for its absence.

I don't think the guy was evil. I think he was lacking the right stuff, for lack of a better term. Maybe he should have realized it and mustered out. Maybe the pay was too good.
    If he never had been faced with danger, and this was his first test, he might be a coward, but is not evil.

If he realized some time previous in his career he wouldn't actually have the stomach to back up the oath, and stayed on for pay/bennies, that raises it to evil for me.

It's one thing to never realize your sword is sharp and fail when you're tested. Something entirely darker to know you're nothing but the illusion of a police officer and continue to take the pay.

There are similar situations in law. Lawyers who have no intention to do the work, care about their cases, or ever work on something more than the bare minimum. Usually it's not a big deal, but sometimes those lawyers get assigned to prosecute a major crime or defend a truly innocent person, and the stakes can be similarly grave.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I do question how realistic BSO's active shooter training actually was. If an agency beats into officers that the best response to critical incidents is to wait for SWAT and doesn't train people what an active assailant incident looks and sounds like, I suspect we'll see tactical dithering from some well-intentioned,but ill-trained people.

I received some pushback when we started active shooter training in my former agency. One very good officer told me he wasn't going in if the training was politically correct nonsense. To his credit, he admitted he was wrong after attending the training.

A second officer asserted he would not make entry because he had been told in the past that one should establish containment and wait for SWAT in a critical incident. My response in class was that he was welcome to remain outside and that I was sure I'd have plenty of officers to accompany me into an incident. I don't think he understood what I was telling him, but I suspect the rest of the class did.

That dope always clung to the past. I should have saved money and had him keep his revolver when we transitioned to SigSauer.

Sadly all too common.

To investigate how often fired officers were returned to their jobs, The Post filed open records requests with the nation’s 55 largest municipal and county police forces. Thirty-seven departments complied with the request, disclosing that they had fired a combined 1,881 officers since 2006. Of those officers, 451 successfully appealed and won their jobs back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...fired-rehired/

User Tag List