Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD to disband anti-crime unit

NYPD to disband anti-crime unit

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...-officers-shea

Wow. Never thought I would see this. Anti-crime always seemed one of those uniquely NYC things to me, along with Emergency Services and the shorter lived Stake Out Unit.

Serpico and all his hard work....down the drain.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Speaking as someone who has been consistently pro-crime, even when that was not a popular stance, I applaud this.

Plus, our place is less than 2 hours from NYC and a perfect country retreat, with indoor plumbing and good internet service to boot, so it might bump up the price in the coming years as more and more NYC refugees seek to flee.

This is complete and utter bullshit.

On a personal level, my uncle was an anti-crime cop for years. It was a big influence on me and probably in no small part responsible for me volunteering for a federal undercover assignment early on in my L.E. career.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Serpico and all his hard work....down the drain.
    But his Hi Power will rock on for generations to come.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    [officers will be moved to].. department's detective and neighborhood policing units
    I've seen this dance before. Centralized unit "disbanded" into localized units that do the same thing under a different name until somebody decides they should be centralized again under a new name. Maybe it's a real shift in policing, I don't know, but I would not at all be surprised if it's more of the same under a different name.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...-officers-shea

Wow. Never thought I would see this. Anti-crime always seemed one of those uniquely NYC things to me, along with Emergency Services and the shorter lived Stake Out Unit.
    Anti crime is just plainclothes patrol focusing on felonies abd crimes against persons instead of loose change.

Loose change like smoking weed and social distancing would have been beneath the old school anti crime cops.

ESU is basically SWAT with rescue functions normally performed by fire. This was originally to help justify them as a full time unit. I'd be curious to hear how much of the rescue duties remain post 9/11.

The stakeout squad was only around for a few years and is not well known outside gun nerd circles.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've seen this dance before. Centralized unit "disbanded" into localized units that do the same thing under a different name until somebody decides they should be centralized again under a new name. Maybe it's a real shift in policing, I don't know, but I would not at all be surprised if it's more of the same under a different name.
    That already happened....they disbanded the citywide Street Crimes Unit years ago and redeployed them as Anti-Crime at the Precinct level. I read that as they'll be reassigned to other units that do other stuff, detectives to detective units, and shirts to each precinct's Community Affairs unit (the ones in "less intimidating" royal blue jackets).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

See also Phoenix Program, The.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I sure hope you are correct. I saw that on the news the other night and thought just one more stupid move by the idiot deblasio. I guess he is satisfied w/ the current NYC crime rate.

User Tag List