Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Broward County SD

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Having seen the debrief for the Stoneman Douglas HS incident...BCSO deputies who were there needed to be fired. Plenty of video of them doing nothing while Parkland PD ran past their lazy asses.

This whole incident had a bunch of cluster fucks, from the first 911 call until the end. To this day Broward County has not fixed the communication issues because of politics.

If any of you get the chance you should attend the debrief. Pinellas County FL Sheriff Bob Gualtiere was the speaker for the debrief I saw...he was also the Commission Chair.

Here is the Commissions report: http://www.trbas.com/media/media/acr...0-12074125.pdf
    Agreed. And just a nitpick - there is no Parkland PD. Parkland is patrolled by BSO. Officers from the city just south, Coral Springs PD were the ones who ran past the cowards. I knew a couple of them. Coral Springs PD as a whole is aggressive and I was not surprised they made entry and did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Agreed. And just a nitpick - there is no Parkland PD. Parkland is patrolled by BSO. Officers from the city just south, Coral Springs PD were the ones who ran past the cowards. I knew a couple of them. Coral Springs PD as a whole is aggressive and I was not surprised they made entry and did the right thing.
    You are correct!!! Coral Springs PD it was.

Funny how those City Limits are drawn. IIRC, Coral Springs City Limits are literally across the street from the school...but the initial 911 calls were routed to BCSO... cell calls went to one emergency center and landline calls went to the other. Their emergency communications system there is heavily broken.

Really “funny” in that Jenne’s entire power grab post 9/11 was based on communication failures.

That guy is the real criminal here. He laid the groundwork for this failure.

Imma fan of Coral Springs pd, btw. They have a good training program.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Really “funny” in that Jenne’s entire power grab post 9/11 was based on communication failures.

That guy is the real criminal here. He laid the groundwork for this failure.

Imma fan of Coral Springs pd, btw. They have a good training program.
    The high note of that presentation is how Coral Springs responded. Their response, once on-scene, ALL came down to training...literally.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    The high note of that presentation is how Coral Springs responded. Their response, once on-scene, ALL came down to training...literally.
    They train hard. Their SWAT team trained with JSOC in years past. Not sure if they still do. But I’d also add mindset and the backing of the leadership. They are one of those agencies that keep the criminals at bay. And most of the thugs I interacted with knew to avoid the city. Many of the hard core BSO deputies I knew had doubts about Sheriff Israel and previously Jenne having their back even while doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    They train hard. Their SWAT team trained with JSOC in years past. Not sure if they still do. But I’d also add mindset and the backing of the leadership. They are one of those agencies that keep the criminals at bay. And most of the thugs I interacted with knew to avoid the city. Many of the hard core BSO deputies I knew had doubts about Sheriff Israel and previously Jenne having their back even while doing the right thing.
    I don't know if it's still the case, but back when I was still living and working in South FL, a lot of agents lived in Coral Springs. So it's never surprised me that they would have a more "go get 'em" attitude on the department. Kudos to them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel endorses Scott Israel for Sheriff in Dem primary. To be placed in the "Good Grief" file:

"Many of [the Parkland families] held Israel to blame, as did Gov. Ron DeSantis when he carried out a campaign promise to suspend him. We thought so too, at first, and advised then-governor Rick Scott to remove Israel," the editorial board explained. "With time, however, that judgment seems harsh. Israel could not have prevented the tragedy. The school system was more to blame. So was the FBI, which did nothing about a credible warning of a potential school shooter. Israel’s most serious failing was a policy that left it to a deputy’s discretion whether to engage an active shooter. Overall, Israel had been a good sheriff."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/parkla...el-endorsement

Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I spent some years working as a front-line supervisor in a factory that was unionized. It was obvious, to me, that one of the best tools available to me was a good knowledge of the union contract, especially the sections that pertained to assigning people to tasks, handing out overtime and disciplining people.

It was also astonishing how many supervisors and higher-level managers didn't have that knowledge, including people in HR.

From what I'm reading here, things aren't much different in managing police departments.
    ^^^This, a thousand times. I grew up in a union household. My father was a truck driver, a member of the Teamsters union and very involved in his local when I was growing up. He was at different times a business agent, Secretary-Treasurer and President of his local. I can tell you that when he went to the grievance hearings, he rarely lost because he knew the contract like the back of his hand and could point out when the company didn't follow it or wanted to give out unequal discipline. He even took the national Teamsters leadership into court one time because they weren't following the contract and he won.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some folks aren't cut out for the work...but don't find out until it's too late. I don't know how to mandate bravery, or test for its absence.

I don't think the guy was evil. I think he was lacking the right stuff, for lack of a better term. Maybe he should have realized it and mustered out. Maybe the pay was too good.
    One unofficial "bravery indicator" was a DD-214 with the award of a Combat Infantryman's Badge and a Honorable Discharge. At the very least, the recipient had heard shots fired in anger.

Site Supporter
    If this were a failure by just the SRO, I'd be reluctant to blame the sheriff of a large department unless he had some role in appointing, assigning, retaining, or supervising the particular deputy and knew or should have known his shortcomings. Anyone who has been a supervisor for a while has had the experience of a subordinate who screws the pooch spectacularly. The issue I have with the sheriff and perhaps the organization is the cascading series of hesitation and failures to act. That suggests some organizational issue.

User Tag List