Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: China announce plans to take full control of Hong Kong

China announce plans to take full control of Hong Kong

Meanwhile, Antifa whines about how oppressive our country is.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/ar...g-15285627.php

China's ruling Communist Party signaled that it is moving swiftly to bring Hong Kong under its full control, with a top official saying Thursday that Beijing plans to alter the system that has allowed the territory to enjoy a level of autonomy for the past 23 years.

After steadily eroding Hong Kong's political freedoms and independent legal system, the party appears to be preparing to change the Basic Law, Hong Kong's mini-constitution, which sets out rights unavailable in mainland China, such as freedom of assembly and the press.

The new language and approach are the clearest indication that Beijing now views the former British colony as a restive region to be brought to heel after months of anti-government protests last year.
    #RESIST

Student
    I've said this before, so I am repeating myself, but my grandfather fled China (I just say 'China because I have had to rethink the insidious implications of the word 'mainland') when it was a very bad time to be part of the Kuomingtang party. That story is part of the reason I was raised, and identify as, a Christian.

I never asked him or my father how they felt about a discrepancy between the KMT's origins and its current stance toward anti-separatism and/or 'reintegration', and whether that would signify a discrepancy with each other's beliefs and experiences. My dad was very vocal about thinking Hong Kong deserved whatever it had coming for essentially trying to separate their nationality from their dominant ethnicity, which I guess he saw as wrong.

When he was still alive, I briefly questioned a family friend who also came from Taiwan, but came from considerably wealthier and educates means compared to my dad, and she told me she, and as far as she knew most of the church we used to go to all leaned on the Blue side of Taiwanese political parties, which are pro One-China. Tsai-ing Wen is Green bloc, which I presume centers on sovereignty.

Unsettling, but I remain silent. I mostly subscribe to Theodore Roosevelt's take on hyphens.

It is worth mentioning that of all my blood-related extended family, I am the only one of two who owns their own firearms, and the only one who shoots and trains. The other one doesn't pay any attention to politics outside the US that I'm aware of.

Yet another thing the British ultimately fucked up.

Israel/Palestine/Egypt
    India/Pakistan
    Afghanistan
    South Africa
    Zimbabwe/Rhodesia
    Hong Kong/China

I like to point these things out to people who insist that relieving the yoke of colonization is a good idea. It generally isn't. The United States is the most successful separation from the British Empire in history. And that took a bunch of well educated men to lead and they had an advantage of not having instant communication and an international community (well the 'international community' existed of three major states at that point, Britain, France, Spain, and we had support of two of those) meddling in the formation of their state. Such a thing can't happen today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I mostly subscribe to Theodore Roosevelt's take on hyphens.
    + Bazillion.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

They never stood a chance.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have now finally reached the age that I remember things that were great and are now past.

I hope this isn't another Tiananmen Square.

The world is a ghetto...

...and it ain't just China, @JAD, I'm sad to say in response to your comment above.
    Last edited by blues; 05-21-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've been waiting for this since the Brits gave it back. I'm surprised it took this long. I'm glad I was able to visit when I did back in the 80's, interesting place.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Meanwhile in Taiwan: The web’s a threat to democracy? Think again, Taiwan says.

Truly worth a read
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List