Thread: John Jovino Gun Shop Closes After 109 Years

Site Supporter

John Jovino Gun Shop Closes After 109 Years

https://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.co...lRIrzdS9Y85DnM

John Jovino, the oldest gun shop in the United States, has closed for good after 109 years in business in Little Italy.

Founded in 1911 by John Jovino, and originally located in the gun center around the corner on Centre Market Place, the store was purchased by the Imperato family in the 1920s and has been run by Charlie Hu since 1995. It's been featured in many films, including Mean Streets and Serpico, and its famous wooden revolver sign has been a landmark in the neighborhood for over a century.

Sad, but probably for the best. It's likely that the Cumos & DeBlasio would have Charlie publicly drawn and quartered then burned at the stake in a few years anyway.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    In the early 1980's Jovino's advertised police trade in revolvers like the Detective Special. I bought three for small sums. I would call the shop and speak with the nicest lady who would set aside my products. Most of their customers were police officers who then were required to buy their own weapons. I saw a Law and Order episode where Lenny visited Jovino's and asked Charlie to look up certain information. I got permission to have one of these shipped to TDC in Huntsville. Ditto for a Smith L frame from a state vendor.

Smith and Wesson used to do same fabulous special exclusive runs for them of blued steel revolvers, particularly I remember the big bore round butt N frame snubbies.

Bought my first gun as a newly minted LEO there in the early 80's. Would walk past the shop frequently during lunch hour.

Sad to hear of its passing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List