Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Preferred Loading Manual?

The first one I grab is usually Lyman 50. For historic comparison, Lyman going back to #46.

Online I use Hodgdon or Alliant.

For wildcats, Google and any scrap of info I find.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I haven't bought an actual hard copy manual in years. All the companies have their current information readily available online
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I agree with Trooper, up to date load data is available free on www.

But somebody new at the game needs the book(s) for the process, not the big numbers.
    Too many beginners are trying to learn how one question at a time on the internet instead of studying a manual.
    They should get the manual published by the maker of their press.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I have the lee manual but tend to go to the manufacturer web site for starting loads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Yeah, they are running about $190-200 used these days. I got my copy back in 2007 brand new for about $30. I must of read or browsed through it a hundred times.
    Art Alpin in quite a character. I was mule deer hunting in the same camp with him. I think around 2005. He has an interesting history.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I have multiple manuals from several bullet and powder manufacturers. I also like “Pet Loads” by Ken Waters via Wolfe Publishing. I see Midway has it as a soft bound book. I have my Grandpas edition that came in a binder and was periodically updated.

Site Supporter
    Hogdon, Speer, Lyman, and Lee are all by my press station. Being able to cross-reference load data in case of an error is a critical bit of safety info for me.

I didn't see it mentioned but Speer has a bunch of data available online.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    In terms of dead tree editions, I have an older Lyman manual and a similar vintage Lyman cast bullet manual. I have an old Lee book as well. I have Ken Waters' Pet Loads.

Otherwise, I get it all online. I'm an experimenter and so much of what I do or want to do isn't explicitly published or was published decades ago and phased out.

Many times, when looking for something somewhat normal, I head to www.reloadammo.com first.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have multiple manuals from several bullet and powder manufacturers. I also like “Pet Loads” by Ken Waters via Wolfe Publishing. I see Midway has it as a soft bound book. I have my Grandpas edition that came in a binder and was periodically updated.
    The real strength of Pet Loads is that it offers a consistent, well thought out perspective on a shitload of bad ideas, like trying to handload the 30-06 to 300 WM levels. You just don’t get that from most other manuals.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List