Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US made 1301 magazine tube

US made 1301 magazine tube

I am posting this for informational purposes. How many here would be interested in a US made magazine tube? For those who know how, difficult is it to swap tubes? The Benelli procedure is well documented and not difficult after applying a little heat with a heat gun. Would the preference be a steel tube? Aluminum? Or titanium? How much would you pay?

The 1301 is so light already I wouldn’t mind a steel tube or aluminum. Titanium seems overkill and expensive for a small batch producer.

Right now there are 2 main titanium and steel retailers of us made benelli tubes. They appear busy and are selling as fast as they can make them. Steel is easier to source than titanium. The tubes only need to be stock length to avoid any manufacturing complexity with the beretta forend. I believe it would work with other beretta models so the 3 gun crowd can buy them as well.

Any thoughts here? Aside from a gas piston it seems the easiest part to create and add to the US made list. This is not a 922r debate. Everyone can approach that as they wish. I am merely gauging the desire for one more US made part. If you would prefer a piston you can say that too. It would likely require more machining but Beretta sell them for 50 bucks vs the tube for 170 ish if I remember correctly. I would pay up to $150 for a piston and $200 for a new tube in aluminum or titanium, slightly less for steel.
    Last edited by sigfla; 05-20-2020 at 11:08 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by sigfla View Post
    It would likely require more machining but Beretta sell them for 50 bucks vs the tube for 170 ish if I remember correctly. I would pay up to $150 for a piston and $200 for a new tube in aluminum or titanium, slightly less for steel.
    Factory Beretta tube is

$40: https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod29081.aspx

$43: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C59948

22 Euros: https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/cro...01-a391-12-ga/

But yeah, I'd have paid quite a bit more for a US-made version. I bought the Briley trigger group to get to the other side of the 922(r) river without getting eaten by the crocodile.

Not an issue for me now, as I have the trigger group already, unless I buy one of their duck guns in the next couple years.

The factory tube seems to have some additional coating beyond just ordinary anodizing. Might be a PTFE sealer on the anodizing - that's a thing, but isn't cheap and lots of shops won't do it due to the chemicals involved. One would need to get to the bottom of that before finalizing any plans in this area.

It would be frickin' sweet if Beretta could just start making one of those parts in the US. @e_stern
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I just went back and was coming here to correct my post. I dunno where I got 170ish for the factory tube...
    Last edited by sigfla; 05-21-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Factory Beretta tube is

$40: https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod29081.aspx

$43: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C59948

22 Euros: https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/cro...01-a391-12-ga/

But yeah, I'd have paid quite a bit more for a US-made version. I bought the Briley trigger group to get to the other side of the 922(r) river without getting eaten by the crocodile.

Not an issue for me now, as I have the trigger group already, unless I buy one of their duck guns in the next couple years.

The factory tube seems to have some additional coating beyond just ordinary anodizing. Might be a PTFE sealer on the anodizing - that's a thing, but isn't cheap and lots of shops won't do it due to the chemicals involved. One would need to get to the bottom of that before finalizing any plans in this area.

It would be frickin' sweet if Beretta could just start making one of those parts in the US. @e_stern
    I agree. Curious how significant the coating is to function. My Benelli runs just fine with a titanium tube but it needs it for weight reduction. I don't think it has any special finish on it. Realistically it is an unseen part on the Beretta, as long as it runs it could be crap colored or hot pink, lol. Beretta I hope will step up and give us the part but I doubt it by now. The piston would be the easiest to swap but I don't know how difficult it would be to make. Both parts would be a dream come true.

Honestly I would love to see one 1301 accessory manufacturer who frequents this board take the reigns and make the $$. However if he won't I would be just as happy seeing the 2 Benelli producers do it. I thought about calling the more custom of those 2 to see if he had any interest but I tried our 1301 guy first via FB. I don't want to run afoul of any forum rules by mentioning anyone by name but as far as the 1301 accessory producer its obvious. The BEST titanium Benelli tube manufacturer who has been selling us M4 followers lately might be interested.

I also sent A&S a message about producing a machined trigger guard but they had no interest due to the complexity of a 2 piece design on the Beretta. Their guards for the Benelli are amazing though.

Up late reading. I found a forum post where a guy claimed an M1 Benelli magazine tube would fit a 1201. I now wonder if any other Benelli tubes would fit the 1301? Does anyone know the thread pitch, diameter, and length of a stock 1301 tube? Perhaps there is already a way we aren't thinking of.....

Up late reading. I found a forum post where a guy claimed an M1 Benelli magazine tube would fit a 1201. I now wonder if any other Benelli tubes would fit the 1301? Does anyone know the thread pitch, diameter, and length of a stock 1301 tube? Perhaps there is already a way we aren't thinking of.....
    That's because the 1201 and the Benelli inertia guns are essentially the same firearm. The 1301 is not related to any firearms in the Benelli line, so I would deem it unlikely that any Benelli tubes would drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    That's because the 1201 and the Benelli inertia guns are essentially the same firearm. The 1301 is not related to any firearms in the Benelli line, so I would deem it unlikely that any Benelli tubes would drop in.
    Just using that as an example. A threaded tube is a threaded tube until it isn’t. There might be an aftermarket magazine out there that works already especially since Beretta and Benelli are members of the same family.

I may be being dense, but why change the whole tube as opposed to just add an extension?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Honestly I would love to see one 1301 accessory manufacturer who frequents this board take the reigns and make the $$. However if he won't I would be just as happy seeing the 2 Benelli producers do it. I thought about calling the more custom of those 2 to see if he had any interest but I tried our 1301 guy first via FB. I don't want to run afoul of any forum rules by mentioning anyone by name but as far as the 1301 accessory producer its obvious. The BEST titanium Benelli tube manufacturer who has been selling us M4 followers lately might be interested.
    Fortunately, this forum isn't run by a bunch of pedantic, overly protective douches, so you're allowed to mention Aridus Industries, and to tag the owner @SpyderMan2k4 in your thread to drag him into the discussion.

Back up to the big picture, though, there seems to currently be a consensus that once you've added all the Aridus stuff to the gun, you're past the 922(r) hurdle. I've noted my opinion about that previously in as much detail as could serve any purpose, so I won't do so here, to avoid lighting up that discussion. But that consensus will likely undermine much of the market demand that would otherwise exist for a US-made mag tube, unless the tube was inexpensive enough to seem worth bypassing the benefits of the Aridus parts for much less money.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Back up to the big picture, though, there seems to currently be a consensus that once you've added all the Aridus stuff to the gun, you're past the 922(r) hurdle. I've noted my opinion about that previously in as much detail as could serve any purpose, so I won't do so here, to avoid lighting up that discussion. But that consensus will likely undermine much of the market demand that would otherwise exist for a US-made mag tube, unless the tube was inexpensive enough to seem worth bypassing the benefits of the Aridus parts for much less money.
    Thats a valid point but my experience with the Benelli M4 has been folks like multiple ways to skin the cat. Others prefer to settle the question as definitively as possible. So far cost has not been a limiting factor in peoples efforts to extend capacity. There are plenty of M4 guys who were 100% compliant but kept going by adding machined A&S trigger guards and all new fire control components just to mod their guns. In any case machining the tube isn’t so $$ so in small batches nobody is losing too much money if they don’t sell. The list of guns that use that tube seems like it includes all of the extrema models.

A gas piston would be the easiest to install. The new tube would be the easiest to manufacture. It seems beretta may not use the green loctite that benelli uses in the factory tubes and heat may not even be needed to unthread the factory tube. That makes installation even easier. If the older generation suffers tube wear then all the more reason for another option. IMHO a new tube should have been produced long ago before any of the other options. It seems like we worked backwards to solve the issue of legal capacity rather than forward.

The Benelli crowd already invented the wheel as far as capacity and 922r. As useful as the Zhukov guard is there are a lot of shooters who prefer the excellent stock hand guard.

User Tag List