Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US made 1301 magazine tube

"We" didn't work backwards on the capacity issue... There is no "we", there is just individual companies who have created parts they believed they could sell to make a profit.
    IIRC, Aridus hasn't considered a mag tube because Adam doesn't have the machinery to manufacture the tubes... Cutting and threading a tube is only cheap if you already have the required lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    "We" didn't work backwards on the capacity issue... There is no "we", there is just individual companies who have created parts they believed they could sell to make a profit.
    IIRC, Aridus hasn't considered a mag tube because Adam doesn't have the machinery to manufacture the tubes... Cutting and threading a tube is only cheap if you already have the required lathe.
    “We” as in the community of 1301 owners and accessory manufacturers. Not all manufacturers need a lathe to contract out the work. I don’t think FFT machines his titanium tubes. Possibly they do the steel however. I am not sure. There is a machinist thread here outlining the cost of cutting and threading a tube. I think it came out to around 75 bucks but my memory sucks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Back up to the big picture, though, there seems to currently be a consensus that once you've added all the Aridus stuff to the gun, you're past the 922(r) hurdle. I've noted my opinion about that previously in as much detail as could serve any purpose, so I won't do so here, to avoid lighting up that discussion. But that consensus will likely undermine much of the market demand that would otherwise exist for a US-made mag tube, unless the tube was inexpensive enough to seem worth bypassing the benefits of the Aridus parts for much less money.
    I’m intrigued by this idea..

Anyone want to give some Cliff Notes on the 922(r) criterion? My recollection is that it took at least 4 more US made parts to reach a threshold?

For instance, I’ve got the Magpul Stock and forend (thanks to Aridus Industries), and a US made follower. Seems like there needed to be one more part replaced (like the trigger group). And the mag tube would also fulfill that requirement.
    I know we don’t need to rehash the debate, but a quick list of the eligible parts, and a minimum parts count would be helpful. It would advance the discussion and create more interest in finding/contracting a US made mag tube.

Site Supporter
    I'd be in for a couple of mag tubes, as long as they're under a C-note.

Even though I think I'm OK on 922(r), having an extra domestic part is probably good insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m intrigued by this idea..

Anyone want to give some Cliff Notes on the 922(r) criterion? My recollection is that it took at least 4 more US made parts to reach a threshold?

For instance, I’ve got the Magpul Stock and forend (thanks to Aridus Industries), and a US made follower. Seems like there needed to be one more part replaced (like the trigger group). And the mag tube would also fulfill that requirement.
    I know we don’t need to rehash the debate, but a quick list of the eligible parts, and a minimum parts count would be helpful. It would advance the discussion and create more interest in finding/contracting a US made mag tube.
    The info is on here in the long thread. I don't want a rehash of the argument. Everyone can do as they best see fit imho. In the end I would just prefer we have more options on how to get to the 10 or less count. A US made tube just seems easiest to make and not hinder the guns operation. My only concern and I have no idea of tolerances between it and the gas piston would be heat and wear. If the new steel, aluminum, or titanium tube gets hot and somehow binds the piston where does that leave the owner? Is that even an issue? After seeing the video on tube wear I am less concerned about it as it appears the stock tubes get worn pretty good and they still work. Maybe the tolerance between the tube and piston isn't such a big deal.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The gas piston acts against the tube as a ringless piston, kind of like an engine inside out. As the diameter of the tube gets smaller, the angle of the piston can increase, increasing the tendency to bind, increasing the drag and wear, etc. If the tube is too big, it may bind when it gets dirty or hot. I don't know the range of tolerance that will work well, but the dimensions probably matter more than in an inertia gun.

I don't know the effectiveness of lubrication. It may just get blown out by the gas, it may collect particles and condensate from the gas and form a lapping paste, or it may help. It could, like an AR, be a case of running it wet and dirty and feeding it new lube regularly works well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List