Hey, I thought I would resurrect and update. Some stuff has come out.

TL;DR: I think Prusa is pretty much dead in the water and there are very few reasons to buy one. Their main printer, the i3 MK3S+ goes for $800 as a DIY kit, and $1100 assembled.

The Low End - $330 on pre-order, $400 eventually
Sovol SV06 Plus

150mm/s print speed, all-metal direct-drive extruder with planetary gear, automatic bed levelling, generous 300x300 build volume, dual z-axis, auto x-axis leveling, removable magnetic PEI build sheet, and a color touch-screen interface.

So it's a Prusa i3 M3+, but bigger, with a MUCH better interface and PEI bed sheet...for less than half the price of a Prusa Kit, and a fraction of the price of the fully-built machine.

I wish it had strain gauge instead of probe-type ABL, and I'd prefer a Bowden-type extruder, but I'm in the minority on both of those things. And I'd like a way to manually-adjust the bed, as on the Elegoo Neptune 3 printers, but that's a minor thing.

The High End - $700
Bambu Labs P1P

This is a CoreXY printer that goes for $100 less than the bedslinging Prusa. It's a stripped-down version of the company's $1100 X1, missing a full enclosure and auto-tuning LIDAR...but it's just as fast. Normal quality printing is done at 250mm/s, more than twice the speed of the Prusa, with up to 20,000mm/s acceleration. This is blisteringly fast--the sort of speeds you'd expect out of a $1k+ Voron or Ratrig, but in a ready-to-go out of the box machine that costs $300 less.

Downsides? Well, the LCD screen is tiny, although you can control it on your phone. A lot of the hardware is proprietary, so upgrades are mostly out (but what would you want to upgrade??). And since the control boards are all proprietary and closed-source, no running Klipper firmware with its input shaping.