Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H&R .32 Short Revolver

I'd of dropped $140 on it. The little H&Rs were pretty good guns.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I offered $100 this afternoon, and they’re holding out. They know I always cave...lol! The lockup with the trigger pulled is plenty tight.

With all the dinky guns on the market, and Teddy Roosevelt buying .32 Colts for NYPD, what was the challenge?
    Halt or I'll give you peritonitis!
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    With all the dinky guns on the market, and Teddy Roosevelt buying .32 Colts for NYPD, what was the challenge?
    Peritonitis was about 99-100% fatal back then. So that .32 might not have had a lot of stopping power, it’d have killed them deader than hell in a most unpleasant manner.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I offered $100 this afternoon, and they’re holding out. They know I always cave...lol! The lockup with the trigger pulled is plenty tight.
    I would lay good odds that that little revolver will tune right up into a decent trigger pull after you clean out the 110 year old grease-turned-to-varnish from the internals. They were not a crappy company, they just turned out products to a price. That little guy was *not cheap* in 1900-1910. Maybe a day's labor cheaper than an equivalent Colt or S & W.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

1901 Sears & Roebuck catalog
    .32 hammerless revolvers, blue 3".
    S&W. $11.75
    H&R. $4.00
    IJ. $4.00
    F&W $4.00
    Sears $3.40

Colt New Pocket $11.00.

$7.75 difference would have been over 3 days' pay for a streetcar motorman (Picked because my Dad was a bus driver.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I was looking for that very info and managed to not find it. Thanks, Jim!

Ok, three days' pay difference, maybe 3.5, if you're talking about the Smith & Wesson. ( The previous numbers were a WAG, of course. Mea Culpa.)
    Still, they weren't crap guns by the standards of the day. The motormen would have bought H & Rs; the route and mechanic shop managers would have the Colts & S & Ws.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-21-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    And think how much fun it could be.. you are hanging out with 'gun people', at the range, whatever, particularly if they lean towards the pretentious tacti-cool side, and they ask what you are running today.. Reach in a side pocket and slowly, deliberately slide that out and watch their faces. Fun messing with people sometimes like that, like when I showed off my backpack PDW at work one day by pulling out my Broomhandle tucked into its holster stock.
    Probably close to revolver shooters beating them in uspsa

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I read that the threat of infection was why folks in those days were scared shitless of little guns that we would mock as mouse guns today. Look at the first SW 22 short revolvers - haha! Get a 9mm! But dying of infection - never mind.

My daughter gave me a book on dueling. One guy showed up to his duel, naked. The rationale was that the lead ball was sterile. If not killed by the ball, it was the crap on your clothes that killed you. His opponent was outraged and refused to duel. Another ploy as a boiled, silk shirt, same reason. The silk might just be pushed in, and clean pulled out.

Of course, today we could dip our balls in Lysol - never mind. This isn't about Covid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Of course, today we could dip our balls in Lysol
    You go right ahead. I won't be dipping mine in Lysol thankyouverymuch.

Chris

User Tag List