Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H&R .32 Short Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My daughter gave me a book on dueling.
    There was a period book 'Advice to the Young Gentleman' covering every possible occasion. Including a chapter on dueling. With all the social and technical stuff covered, it concluded: "If you are struck, submit to the ministrations of the surgeon. If it appears you are not to survive, resolve to go off with as good grace as possible."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned President McKinley being shot with a .32 Iver Johnson? Reagan was nearly smoked with a .22lr revolver. While medical technology wasn’t spectacular in 1901, Reagan had sustained severe injury: broken rib, punctured lung, and internal bleeding. A 14 year old boy was killed in 2016, when his father accidentally fired a .22 pistol. They were at a Florida range, and the father was chasing a hot spent casing down his back, while still holding the pistol! They managed to get the kid to a hospital, but he died shortly afterward: https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/14...thorities-say/

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Why hasn’t anyone mentioned President McKinley being shot with a .32 Iver Johnson? Reagan was nearly smoked with a .22lr revolver. While medical technology wasn’t spectacular in 1901, Reagan had sustained severe injury: broken rib, punctured lung, and internal bleeding. A 14 year old boy was killed in 2016, when his father accidentally fired a .22 pistol. They were at a Florida range, and the father was chasing a hot spent casing down his back, while still holding the pistol! They managed to get the kid to a hospital, but he died shortly afterward: https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/14...thorities-say/
    Unpossible. All the caliber pedants say that .22 LR won’t break bone. 😁
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

This was my grandmothers. It was willed to me along with the 5 .32 S&W short cartridges, I have no idea how old that ammo is. She carried it every day in the right hand pocket of her house coat. She was born in 1910 and lived through some tough times. I remember her talking about pulling her pistol on some rough guys. I don't know the outcome. I just wish this was in firing condition just so I could shoot it one time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Unpossible. All the caliber pedants say that .22 LR won’t break bone. [emoji16]
    If I recall correctly, the broken rib occurred when a Secret Service agent pushed President Reagan into his limousine, and jumped on top of him to shield him with his body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If I recall correctly, the broken rib occurred when a Secret Service agent pushed President Reagan into his limousine, and jumped on top of him to shield him with his body.
    Hi Bill. My reading is that SSA Parr thought he had broken Reagan’s rib while shoving him into the limo. The rib was found to have been grazed by the bullet, and that caused the punctured lung: “ The medical personnel found that Reagan's systolic blood pressure was 60 versus the normal 140, indicating that he was in shock, and knew that most 70-year-olds in the president's condition would not survive.[15]:108 Reagan was in excellent physical health, however, and also was shot by the .22 caliber instead of the larger .38 as was first feared.[46][45] They treated him with intravenous fluids, oxygen, tetanus toxoid, and chest tubes,[42] and surprised Parr—who still believed that he had cracked the president's rib—by finding the entrance of the gunshot wound. Brady and the wounded agent McCarthy were operated on near the president. Although Reagan came close to death, the team's quick action—and Parr's decision to drive to the hospital instead of the White House—likely saved the president's life, and within 30 minutes Reagan left the emergency department for surgery with normal blood pressure.”

The .22 round certainly did a number on James Brady, and was instantly (and permanently) debilitating. A one shot stop for certain.

I have developed a strange obsession for those tiny revolvers. I picked up an Iver Johnson .32 as a quarantine project, seems like it was the LCP or maybe Hipoint of 100 years ago. Apparently during the 1890s "Bike Boom" H&R, Iver Johnson, and S&W all sold bicycle revolvers.

Name:  Harrington__Richardson.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  12.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Why hasn’t anyone mentioned President McKinley being shot with a .32 Iver Johnson?
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned that former president Theodore Roosevelt was shot in the chest with a .38 Colt, and went on to give his speech? The bullet was slowed down by his glasses case and the written papers for his speech and barely entered his pectoral muscles.

Garfield and McKinley died from bad medical care, whereas today both of their wounds would have been survivable. Probing wounds with unclean hands and instruments, and lack of antibiotics were lethal.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List